A3 TDI 170

Karcsi

Reaction score
I'll stick with my 203bhp A3 TDi at the moment thanks.

But it will be interesting to see what it remaps to.

However, if they gave it DSG & Quattro, that would be worth thinking about......

Actually, I've remembered incorrectly. Autocar said that there was far less turbo lag - pulling away in 6th gear, the engine started to stir 500rpm earlier than with our TDI. Apparently ours doesn't start doing anything until about 2000rpm, which was what I was peeved about, coz it's plain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif.

They did see it as an improvement, but not earth shattering.

And I agree with you, only if available in quattro form is it worth. They did comment that it span its wheels at every opportunity.

Is anyone else going to Geneva this year?

There seems to be quite a lot of new stuff, more than usual.

If you want to try the 170bhp engine,go to your Seat dealer.
It's already available in the Altea.

Totally disagree that it would need quattro.

You can go to a lot more than a measly 170bhp without requiring four wheel drive.

I don't recall the test drive report of the Altea saying it was a wheelspinning monster,and it's probably (undoubtedly) lighter than the A3.

Nobody NEEDS quattro. But if you want to be certain to get away without any bother every time, then quattro is the thing. I certainly wouldn't buy one without it.

Can't remember Autocar's precise words, but they did say that in 2nd gear it span its wheels every chance it had, but that the ESP was very good in controlling that - which overcame the fact that steering feedback was non existent.

Where I live in the depths of the country, Quattro could be very useful, especially with the greasy weather we've had over the past 3-4 weeks. Even at low speed it has been very slippery.

I've just heard from my local dealer that they have an A3 TDi 170 Quattro DSG arriving in July. They've asked me if we will have a map for it! The answer was 'Yes' if they lend it to me for a few days.......

[ QUOTE ]
I've just heard from my local dealer that they have an A3 TDi 170 Quattro DSG arriving in July. They've asked me if we will have a map for it! The answer was 'Yes' if they lend it to me for a few days.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that would be a hoot!

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to try the 170bhp engine,go to your Seat dealer.
It's already available in the Altea.

Totally disagree that it would need quattro.

You can go to a lot more than a measly 170bhp without requiring four wheel drive.

I don't recall the test drive report of the Altea saying it was a wheelspinning monster,and it's probably (undoubtedly) lighter than the A3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its the old BHP vs Torque thing again here,

measly 170 brake may not need 4 wheel drive but if you stonk in a huge torque figure you are likely to (Specially if that torque is delivered at low RPM like a diesel is)

[ QUOTE ]
Day trip Guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done the Geneva Motor Show before in a day, and it cost me less than going to the NEC for a day!

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Day trip Guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done the Geneva Motor Show before in a day, and it cost me less than going to the NEC for a day!

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

That what I was thinking.....

was that by diesel plane by any chance, hehe

Me & Mrs petrol-head went to the Geneva show in `05 and it was easier (Easyjet, not m/ways), cheaper and far better than the poor effort the NEC has been hosting of late...

If I wasn't getting married next month I'd have gone to the Geneva show. It would be nice to take a week and drive down there, stopping along the way. Maybe next year!

[ QUOTE ]
was that by diesel plane by any chance, hehe

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, British Airways actually - they probably use Optimax!

NEC Cost:

400 mile round trip, fuel - £50
Parking @ stupid prices - £8
Entry ticket - £15 (cica, I can't fully remember)
Total: £73

Geneva Cost:

Gatwick 120 mile round trip, fuel - £15
Parking - £6
Flight (just taxes as I paid with airmiles) - £22.50
Entry Ticket - £7
Total: £50.50

Ok, so I paid for the flight in airmiles (and taxes and charges where cheaper in 2003) but easyjet offer good deals too.

I left on a 7.00am flight, was at the show by 10.00 their time and flew back at around 6pm. The exhibition center is a 5 minute walk from the airport.

Kev.

IMO the standard 138 2.0 TDi needs Quattro, let alone the 170.

I find it amazing that people disagree with this sentiment - either they have never driven a Quattro, have never driven a diesel, drive more slowly than me (and are happy to do so), or enjoy the feeling of a car understeering through 2nd / 3rd with either the ESP flickering away or the curb approaching rapidly.

over to you ... : )

[ QUOTE ]
they made a 138 tdi?

Glad I bought the 140 (which is actually nearer 155)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a 140PS, which equates to a 138BHP.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
No, it's just Eeef being funny or pedantic or just Eeef!

Morning Eeef.......

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I did wonder - but you never know!

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
IMO the standard 138 2.0 TDi needs Quattro, let alone the 170.

I find it amazing that people disagree with this sentiment - either they have never driven a Quattro, have never driven a diesel, drive more slowly than me (and are happy to do so), or enjoy the feeling of a car understeering through 2nd / 3rd with either the ESP flickering away or the curb approaching rapidly.

over to you ... : )

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you driven an S-line diesel ?
It takes pretty greasy conditions to induce understeer.
There's masses of grip.
If your car understeers all over the place,try better tyres.

I'd like quattro when it's snowing,but for the rest of the year it's simply not needed for 140bhp.

Seriously,apart from in snow (when it's a nightmare),I can't remember a time when traction/grip has been a problem in my car.

I certainly cannot remember "understeering towards a gutter in 2nd/3rd" as you suggest and I drive the thing with contempt,over Scottish roads that look like they've been tarred by gypsies.

[ QUOTE ]
you're not trying hard enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Short of in snow,I'll race anyone in a quattro. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
even a 3.2?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

Joking apart,I personally think those that think quattro gives them any advantage (apart from in snow or other extreme conditions) in a 140bhp diesel has fallen for Audi's marketing.

I'm not saying quattro doesn't have it's place.Of course it does,but 99% of the people,99% of the time,simply don't need it.

In snow though,I wish I had it.

How much weight does it add to the car ?
Isn't it something like 150 kgs ?
So that's like having 2 medium sized passengers all the time ?
No ta,the car's slow enough without more weight.

Edited,the quattro sportback is actually 30kgs lighter than the DSG sportback,so the DSG must add weight (another reason not to have it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yet Audi themselves say the Quattro is slower and heavier on fuel.

Must be quite some transmission drag with the Quattro.

Morning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

It's those pesky Pferdestärke, they get me every time.

One can only assume that the German pony is not as mighty as the English Shire Horse.

Chalk one up for Blighty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

i do see what you are saying but i do feel you should add rain to your "extreme" conditions as personally my sline is a bit slippery when wet

and once again, its not BHP that is the issue, its torque (After all, thats what turns the wheels) and a reasonable wad at low RPM = wheelspin..

236ft/lb is a healthy amount, same as a Subaru Impreza WRX (with 220odd BHP)

Actually,I don't know whether one can believe Audi's website weights.

According to them,there isn't a single kilo difference between the 2wd manual Sportback and the 4wd Sportback.
They say they both weigh 1380kgs.

So does the quattro system weigh nothing,or do they remove other stuff from it to keep the weight down ?

Interesting that,according to them,the DSG adds 30kgs to the weight.

Maybe that's why my doesn't understeer.That extra weight on the front giving me more grip !

[ QUOTE ]
i do see what you are saying but i do feel you should add rain to your "extreme" conditions as personally my sline is a bit slippery when wet

and once again, its not BHP that is the issue, its torque (After all, thats what turns the wheels) and a reasonable wad at low RPM = wheelspin..

236ft/lb is a healthy amount, same as a Subaru Impreza WRX (with 220odd BHP)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a helluva difference between "a bit slippery" and the understeering,fire-breathing,must-have-4wd,wheelspinning monster the other post mentioned though.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I dunno, 200bhp 300lb ft makes the tyres work pretty hard and when its greasy or the local farmer has transferred his field to the local roads, it get very slippery.

I'll try one of the Quattros round here sometime in the next week or so and see if it makes a difference.

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, 200bhp 300lb ft makes the tyres work pretty hard and when its greasy or the local farmer has transferred his field to the local roads, it get very slippery.

I'll try one of the Quattros round here sometime in the next week or so and see if it makes a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's my point ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

We're talking about standard cars here,not tuned ones.

I can see why an extra 60bhp would make quattro more of a necessity.

[ QUOTE ]
anyone know the torque figures for the new 170BHP TDI?

[/ QUOTE ]

From Seat's website;

This new engine, an enhanced version of the 140 hp 2.0 TDI engine, reaches 125 kW of power at 4,200 rpm and a maximum torque of 350 Nm between 1,800 and 2.500 rpm.

that puts it into perspective, now for a call to Revo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
top idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Go for it - you quite literally won't stop grinning for a month...wicked, wicked performance and the fuel economy you originally thought you'd get from the standard car but have never seen .......well that's been my experience thus far anyway with the Revo Stage1 re-map.