Do disc heat shields need to be there?

Newquaygreen

Reaction score
My disc heat shields need replacing but I was wondering if they are really needed at all. If I just removed them would it make any real difference to the cars braking performance?

Leave it alone, it's there for a reason. it prevents water, debris and general crap from damaging and contaminating the brakes.

My disc heat shields need replacing but I was wondering if they are really needed at all. If I just removed them would it make any real difference to the cars braking performance?

The other side of Jimmy's comment is that mine have been removed a long time ago.....no issues at all.

its main purpose to my knowledge is a stone guard to stop stones being flicked up and getting wedged between then pad and disk ruining you lovely expensive disks , unlikely to happen but still

Infact they are just a stone collecter!!

Stones wedge behind the disc and this guard and block up the vents of the disc anyway, and cause horrendous noise.

If you take them off, leave them off I say.

I can safely say I have never had the issue of the disc guard collecting stones on any of my cars!?!

Not ultimately necessary, remove if you will. A lot of cars don't have them at all.

On ETKA they are described as splash shields so the manufacturer puts them there to try and keep water from the brakes.
If they didn't do anything then the manufacturer wouldn't put them there. I did remove them on my Passat when I upgraded the brakes to larger discs and never noticed any real difference except occasionally in the winter when there was a lot of slush around and the brakes were cold there would be a bit of a delay before they started working. Possibly due to the whole braking system being waterlogged.

karl.

Reactions: Artimus and JimmyH
My front ones have mostly rusted away anyway

i have taken them off and they are staying off and never had any problems, only thing is your more likely to get more brake dust.. bonus side is one less item bolted to the car and less weight (even though they arent heavy but still)

i have taken them off and they are staying off and never had any problems, only thing is your more likely to get more brake dust.. bonus side is one less item bolted to the car and less weight (even though they arent heavy but still)

total weight saving of about 600 grams, personally don't think it's worth it .... Better option that'll save you more weight is go to the toilet before you go for a drive :)

Reactions: CHEZ and Sevv
total weight saving of about 600 grams, personally don't think it's worth it .... Better option that'll save you more weight is go to the toilet before you go for a drive :)

lol, that must be one hell of a visit to the toilet haha, but if you think about it you can go to the toilet and loose the shields and you'll have extra weight of the car :p

Reactions: JimmyH
Don't they also minimise heat soak from the disks into the brake lines, helping to avoid boiling brake fluid\brake fade on track days\spirited drives?

Sometimes they will provide protection to ABS sensors and the like from direct radiated heat. On the Passat , when I removed the front shileds I cut a small piece of aluminium and secured it to one of the bolts to stop any issues.

Karl.