heated seats

s3ollie

Reaction score
Hi,

Im having problems with my heated seats. No heat through drivers seat, passenger seem ok.

I checked connections under the seat with a meter got 12v through both drivers and passenger feed wires. checked the resistance I think was 2.8 ohms.
I have checked measuring blocks with vcds for the seats. It is displaying that the thumb wheels are both on 6 even if I move them to any position other that 6. It is displaying temp actual 24 and Spec 64 on both seats but on the request heater window this stays on 'on' for a few seconds then displays 'off'.
when I first put vcds on the spec temp for the drivers seat was -99 for the drivers seat but that seemed to go to +64 and stay there after that.

Does this suggest its a thermostat problem in the drivers seat?

Id be very grateful for any help.

Cheers

Are there any errors being displayed on the climate unit within vcds? Also is the fuse still ok?

Hi Ash,

the fuse in the side of the dash is ok. Is there any others?
also no codes that relate to the seats at all.

any ideas?

cheers

ok well the passenger is ok which i should have seen before (sorry) that would mean the fuse is good. if VCDS is showing a good reading and is following the thumb wheel number as you move it and also has no errors then i would put it down to the actual heating pads.

on VCDS if you go to the climate control panel HVAC (i think its number 8) and then go to advanced measuring blocks, scroll down to where you see the thumb wheel and tick the 6 options there for the seats (something like thumb position, act. temp, request temp, etc) and check what it does for both passenger and driver. see if the actual temp moves at all when the request temp goes up.
if not then you would need to investigate the wiring under the seat as it uses a wire for the actual temp detection, a wire for the temp sender, the ground and then the wires that run inside the seat to actually heat it up.
the temp detection wire sounds like its working fine but one of the other wires might be loose or broken?

Hi, when I looked at measuring blocks last time it was say thumb wheels were on 6 even when I selected any other number. The requested heat was 64 on both. The request heater window was saying on for a minute or so then going to off. This seemed to be happening on both seats. This was with the ignition on an engine off so it may be worth trying it with the engine on do you think?

do you know what resistance I should be getting from the seat then I could check the working seat see if it's the same and that may eliminate/confirm the heater pad in the seat?

Cheers for your help so far :)

ok well do the test with the engine running as you said the passenger seat still works so at least that side should show the right temp. if the drivers side wheel is on 3 but VCDS says 6 then you may need to try a spare heater climate. what year car do you have btw?

im not sure on the resistance, sorry.

I'll test it with engine on as soon as I get a chance.

its a 2007 S3.

Just thought.... I could put the seats in opposite sides to see if the seat is faulty if I can't find anything with vcds.

cheers

Tested the HVAC module today, everything works as it should with the engine running. thumb wheel positions etc... only thing is it is displaying the values for the opposite seats ie if I turn drivers seat down it displays I have turned the passenger down. strange.

It does heat up just very faintly, Does this mean in the heater pad its self?

Thanks

yes thats right. the labels on VCDS are to german spec so it shows the drivers as our passenger and vice versa

right so if the power is all on and looks ok then there is something wrong with the power being sent to the actual seat pads. this is very common when fitting the A5 seats in an A3 but on the standard A3 seats it would seem a fault on the actual pad.

Did the passenger side heat up quickly then?

The passenger seat doesn't heat up quickly... neither ever has, takes at least 5 min's id say before its at full heat but it does get hot. (shame there not like my old mans range rover burns you bum in about 30 seconds!)

I did take the leather back from the bottom of the seat the other day but I couldn't go right back as I couldn't see how to separate the top half of the seat from the bottom part or take the winder that moves the back forward and backward off.I could see a white fabric on top of the sponge but I wasn't sure if that was the heater pad or not as it didn't look or feel as if there were and tiny wires inside it but it was joined across the 'troughs' in the seat so I guessed it probably was.

I read that it is possible that a wire has snapped in the pad somewhere but what I read is referring to the standard seats and again I wasn't sure if it applied to the buckets or not?

yh it takes about 5 mins to get hot, thats how it is in mine and other Audis i have been in.

the actual heater element is stuck to the seat pad, the white fabric thing is just a separate piece.

it looks like this (random internet picture):

DSCF0851.jpg

if a wire has snapped then you would need to take the seats out the car and strip it down

That's pretty much what I saw except that there was no wires visible at all like in that picture and I couldn't feel anything inside the pad fabric.
Do you know if its the same design of heater pad for all seats albeit different shapes? As in, is it possible that they used a finer wire than that in the buckets pads making it not visible? Because if its too fine I will have to buy a new pad rather than try to fix it I guess.

Looks like its seat out time again and see if I can work out how to get the backrest separated from the bottom.

Last edited:
just phoned Audi - each element a snip at only £91.74 each!

well the seat heater pads wire is right at the back between the backrest and seat pad, they connect under the actual seat with a 2 pin connector. best thing is to strip down the seat and investigate.

Thanks for your help Ash. When I get a chance I will strip it down. :beerchug:

If anyone knows of any instructions to disassemble the buckets let me know. :beerchug: