Buying a new car battery

Curley89

S5 & S3 Stage 2+
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a new battery but I am getting a lot of conflicting information.

Going from the recommendations on here I should be buying a Varta silver ultra dynamic ZGB577400078 from TPS. TPS have told me they have three batteries on their system for my car and the one he 'thinks' it should be is an 067 74amp Excide.
Audi do have a Varta for my car but have no other information on the product except it is a 72amp battery.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? What spec do I want for a standard 2007 8P S3?

I went to Perth Audi (mine is a 2.5tdi A4, B5)
£117 +VAT 82 Ah battery
VW (next door) £75 (can't remember if plus or inc VAT now) 85Ah battery
Motor factors all seem to be roughly around £1/Ah +VAT
my Audi has the VW Varta battery fitted.
Apparently Bosch Silver is an excellent battery too but no idea on price.
Hope that helps you decide. But if you have a VW dealer worth checking them against Audi prices, for most parts... Like springs, shocks, discs, you might get a very big surprise

I might have a spare original, seventy odd Ah, which you could have for the right price, in Cheshire....

Let me know and I'll check the part number.

07 2.0 tdi

Check your dimensions, and compare

Have a look on e-bay, Honda Bristol are on there and next day delivered me a VARTA battery for £55.99 It was identical to the one which came in my TDi from new! Same spec and even looks OEM... ....not that you see it under the cover! Audi had quoted me £130!

Worth giving them a call to see if they have a comparable item in the Honda range for yours, Honda Bristol phone 0117 311 0000

They only give a 3 year warranty, but I had 8 years and 60k miles out of the original one!

Last edited: