Winter Tyres - some options for mid-range cost

RL

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking at some options for mid-range cost winter tyres. I don't want to spend loads but equally don't want cheap ones that will be no good. I have looked around and found 3 options on MyTyres.co.uk as possible ones to buy. Will be putting on existing rims and storing summer tyres in the garage rather than buying new rims.

Sunny SN3860 225/45 R17 £61.00 each

Nankang Snow SV-2 225/45 R17 91V £68.30 each

Falken HS449 225/45 R17 91V £91.40 each

Does anyone have any thoughts please? Or other options that they can recommend?

Thanks.

Richard

i just bought Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme 225/40/18 for £119 each from funky tyres.co.uk £20 per tyre cheaper than anywhere else. thats includes postage too

Richard check out tyrereviews. co.uk as they've reviewed most tyres... iv gone for michelin alpin 3 winter tyres 2nd hand for £200 with 5mm plus tread... same size as yours aswel.
I wouldn't recommend the sunnys they haven't scored very well by customer reviews

Which would you say out of those 3 as they all have fairly good reviews on that site?

Or are there others in that price circa £100 that are better?

i just bought Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme 225/40/18 for £119 each from funky tyres.co.uk £20 per tyre cheaper than anywhere else. thats includes postage too

That's an excellent price, I was £170 per tyre fitted for the same tyres.

How do you order frm funky tyres can't find there website ?

gary

it thought there Facebook page www.funkytyres.co.uk. send him a message with what you want. also like there page as he puts up special offers up too. best prices on the net.

I have just sent him a message too.

Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions?

Fast response from FunkyTyres!

94V Kumho I-Zen KW27 - £83 each inc postage
94V Falken Eurowinter HS449 - £87 each inc postage
94V Hankook Winter I-Cept Evo W310 - £96 each inc postage
94H Nokian WR A3 £97 each inc postage
94V Nokian WR A3 £105 each inc postage
94V Vredestin Wintrac Xtreme for £102 each inc postage

Last edited:
So you gonna send someone on Facebook some money for sum tyres hummmm think ill phone first that's if there's a number to phone

Bought Nankang for my last car. They were okay and fitted the purpose and budget.

Hi all,

I am looking at some options for mid-range cost winter tyres. I don't want to spend loads but equally don't want cheap ones that will be no good. I have looked around and found 3 options on MyTyres.co.uk as possible ones to buy. Will be putting on existing rims and storing summer tyres in the garage rather than buying new rims.

Sunny SN3860 225/45 R17 £61.00 each

Nankang Snow SV-2 225/45 R17 91V £68.30 each

Falken HS449 225/45 R17 91V £91.40 each

Does anyone have any thoughts please? Or other options that they can recommend?

Thanks.

Richard

So you gonna send someone on Facebook some money for sum tyres hummmm think ill phone first that's if there's a number to phone

And phoning will achieve what? They seem quite highly rated and have a lot of comments and feedback.

And phoning will achieve what? They seem quite highly rated and have a lot of comments and feedback.

can trace a land line number thats why…
messaged him on some info and he does seem to know his stuff. anybody else had any tyres off funky tyres ?

well i paid though paypal so moneys safe,

Fast response from FunkyTyres!

94V Kumho I-Zen KW27 - £83 each inc postage
94V Falken Eurowinter HS449 - £87 each inc postage
94V Hankook Winter I-Cept Evo W310 - £96 each inc postage
94H Nokian WR A3 £97 each inc postage
94V Nokian WR A3 £105 each inc postage
94V Vredestin Wintrac Xtreme for £102 each inc postage

Would you say go for one of these rather than the cheaper brands?

Hard to decide which...

Think I might go for the Nokian's. Seem to have best reviews for the price

Think I might go for the Nokian's. Seem to have best reviews for the price

thats what i,m going for nokians wd r3 good reviews on them,, can get a set for £370 delivered from the place u mentioned funky tyres.

thats what i,m going for nokians wd r3 good reviews on them,, can get a set for £370 delivered from the place u mentioned funky tyres.

What size tyres you getting?

the size i,ve got on now is 235 45 17 but been advised and cheaper to go with 225 45 17 so i,ll be going with these

Is it the Nokian WR A3 94H you are getting at 225/45/17?

Not sure lol thought wr d3 were better. And I think the wr a3 are for high powered cars mines only a 2l tdi think I'll look into it further

Not sure lol thought wr d3 were better. And I think the wr a3 are for high powered cars mines only a 2l tdi think I'll look into it further

A3 are the newer ones with new tread pattern so funky tells me. Better performance on tyre reviews and only a couple of quid more.

My current tyres are 91 Y. What should I be going for then?

H is still rated for 130mph so most cars will be fine with them

Hmm a bit confused now. Should I be going for V or is H fine?

I've ordered h as I won't be going ova 131 in the winter lol funky says it's ok to go a speed rating lower on winter tyres

Yeah same here. But if ratings Y then shouldn't it be V?

As long as you have the correct load rating then yes of course you can get a lower speed rating if it saves money. AS you say, there will be no going anywhere near 130mph in snow! LOL.
I cannot get my head around why my winter tyres are rated so high. i mean, even in the dry I would not be able to get to its rating speed!

Is it fine to have a higher load rating too then? Mines 91 Y at present and I'm looking at 94 H for these Nokian winters ?

I'm going to go for the Nokian WR A3 225/45/R17 94V XL

Last edited:
Tyres arrived and fitted by local mobile fitter no probs. They feel good on the car, as good as summers I would say.

Coincidently, the mobile fitter chap has a set of Nokian's that were mis-ordered. 255 40 19 Nokian WR G2 100V if any is interested PM me as they can go for a cracking price!