Badger5Monster Motorsport
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Error free LED number plate bulbs for facelift 8P - a decent alternative!

3rd Gear

Status

Error free LED number plate bulbs for facelift 8P - a decent alternative!

Just a quick post to share a good find I picked up this week.

Obviously we all know that replacement LED bulbs throw up an error on the DIS of the facelift 8p's. Well I cant remember where I read it but someone recommended PolarG Hybrid festoon bulbs as a good alternative to LED's and obviously as they're still a halogen bulb no errors. £11.70 a set delivered, mine only took a week.

M28 Polarg White Interior Bulb light 10x37mm 12V 10W Signal Japan JDM Bl Hybrid | eBay

Now I had my doubts but ordered a couple of sets anyway and fitted two to the rear number plate lights on my 2010 S3 tonight and I have to say they're bloody brilliant, pretty much on par with replacement LED bulbs I've fitted to other cars in the past.

Sorry for the crap pic, I'll try and get some better ones.

From what I've read the PolarG brand are the ones to get.

Not a bad alternative I reckon, I certainly will be getting more and doing the full interior with them.

Cheers.
    Ash187, reepers, sliced and 1 others like this.
    2010 Audi S3 Sportback Black Edition TFSI Quattro

2. # ADS
    ADS

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Looks good buddy
    jphc and Muzza80 like this.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

Neutral

Status
    Look excellent. Gonna give them a go thanks
    Muzza80 likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Glad to be useful, they actually look even better in the flesh that's a really poor pic on my iPhone.

Neutral

Status
    I'm on it mte nice one
    Muzza80 likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Here's another pic taken today on the way into work, still pretty rubbish though lol

2nd Gear

Status
    They do look very good going to look at ordering some
    Muzza80 likes this.
    Audi a3 3.2 v6 sport back ,s-line, Dolphin Grey with factory tints, deg sat nav, bose speakers, 18 upgraded alloys, magnaflow exhaust, eibach pro kit springs

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow R90 STL On Twitter Add R90 STL on Facebook Visit R90 STL's Instagram Channel
    just ordered myself a set
    Muzza80 likes this.
    Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 Tdi DSG - Black Audi rings - Private plate - RS3 grill - C Quartz ceramic coating - Stage 1 remap - 50mm H&R Springs - SOLD

MY11​ Imola Yellow S3 - Black Edition - DSG - RNS-E - Sunroof - RS3 grill - H&R 25mm springs - Shark Performance stage 1

3rd Gear

Status
    One point to note, they're ever so slightly (maybe 2-3mm) shorter than the originals so you have to bend the contacts in a tiny bit to get a solid fit, no biggie but worth mentioning.

Cheers.
    Ash187 likes this.

James

Status
    Trups sells these as an FYI at half the price...

ICE WHITE HALOGEN FESTOON 36MM

I assume he still does anyway? I've had a pair from him in my car for almost 2 years now and they're still going strong.

A decent alternative until he finally solves the LED mystery for MY2010+ cars (keep an eye on this thread)...

Canbus+ Number plate LED's.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameze View Post
    Trups sells these as an FYI at half the price...

ICE WHITE HALOGEN FESTOON 36MM

I assume he still does anyway? I've had a pair from him in my car for almost 2 years now and they're still going strong.

I did see them but in those pics they're not even close in terms of light output compared to the ones I posted, maybe it's just the pictures but they hardly even light up to the bottom of the plate? they also seem to be very blue looking but that could again just be the pic.

James

Status
    Mine seem fine, not sure if it was just an isolated issue? Would be useful to hear from someone who's purchased them recently.

It doesn't look like he's far off solving the LED numberplate light issue though anyway

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameze View Post
    Mine seem fine, not sure if it was just an isolated issue? Would be useful to hear from someone who's purchased them recently.

It doesn't look like he's far off solving the LED numberplate light issue though anyway

I think it's more that the ones I've fitted are 10w vs those which are 5w

LED solution will be good once sorted though

James

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzza80 View Post
    I think it's more that the ones I've fitted are 10w vs those which are 5w
    Good spot!
    Muzza80 likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    I ordered mine the night you posted here and they came today.
    First pic new bulb on the left old on the right to show the difference.

Second them both done

Look really good
    Thanks
    IBIS WHITE S3
    Revo stage 2+ and loving it

1st Gear

Status
    I installed the Polarg festoon ones from t8ups a few months back and this is what happened - keep an eye out ... it could have just been my 2010 car ...

APR Carbonio CAI / Eibach ARBs / BCS 3" Downpipe & Sports Cat / H&R 50mm Springs / APR Stage 2 / WALK / Forge Quickshift / RNSE / Forge 330 Big Brake / Carbon Grab Handles / Whiteline F&R Adj Drop Links / R8 Oil Cap / Porsche Coolant Cap / Front and Rear Footwell Lights / Puddle and Warning Door Lights / APR Intercooler

3rd Gear

Status
    How did you know this had happened?
    Did the bulb go off?
    IBIS WHITE S3

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by downtothebone View Post
    I installed the Polarg festoon ones from t8ups a few months back and this is what happened - keep an eye out ... it could have just been my 2010 car ...

Oh dear that's not good! :-( Did that happen straight away or after having the lights on for ages?

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow R90 STL On Twitter Add R90 STL on Facebook Visit R90 STL's Instagram Channel
    mine have arrived today. will install them later when I get home
    Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 Tdi DSG - Black Audi rings - Private plate - RS3 grill - C Quartz ceramic coating - Stage 1 remap - 50mm H&R Springs - SOLD

MY11​ Imola Yellow S3 - Black Edition - DSG - RNS-E - Sunroof - RS3 grill - H&R 25mm springs - Shark Performance stage 1

3rd Gear

Status
    The delivery was much quicker than I was expecting.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

less than a week that was from hong kong! that's pretty good going

1st Gear

Status
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but will these work on the 8P1?
    2008 Audi S3
    REVO Stage 1

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Bulbs are real nice. No errors. Happy days!! Let's hope they are durable
    Attached Images Attached Images

1st Gear

Status
    Looks great, just ordered myself a pair.

I've been meaning to do this small mod for a while so thanks for the share!

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm assuming nobody has had any issues as reported above if melting the lamp holders?
    I've checked mine after a few 20 minute drives and the number plate lamp lense does get pretty hot.
    IBIS WHITE S3

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    I'm assuming nobody has had any issues as reported above if melting the lamp holders?
    I've checked mine after a few 20 minute drives and the number plate lamp lense does get pretty hot.
    no issues but they do get pretty hot rather quickly. I am a bit sceptical ..

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wanton View Post
    Oh dear that's not good! :-( Did that happen straight away or after having the lights on for ages?
    Bulb in pic blew after 2 months - it was when I went to check that I found both sides had melted ... I'm guessing this was happening from the beginning. Both bulbs had the discolouration on the contacts and you can see the blown bulb in the pic is 'misty'. Not sure how this has affected the wiring going into the casings. On LEDs now that work on my car so the housings are working.
    APR Carbonio CAI / Eibach ARBs / BCS 3" Downpipe & Sports Cat / H&R 50mm Springs / APR Stage 2 / WALK / Forge Quickshift / RNSE / Forge 330 Big Brake / Carbon Grab Handles / Whiteline F&R Adj Drop Links / R8 Oil Cap / Porsche Coolant Cap / Front and Rear Footwell Lights / Puddle and Warning Door Lights / APR Intercooler

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by downtothebone View Post
    Bulb in pic blew after 2 months - it was when I went to check that I found both sides had melted ... I'm guessing this was happening from the beginning. Both bulbs had the discolouration on the contacts and you can see the blown bulb in the pic is 'misty'. Not sure how this has affected the wiring going into the casings. On LEDs now that work on my car so the housings are working.
    i see you have 50mm springs? I just bought a set today. how are you getting on with them?

3rd Gear

Status
    Oh dear that ain't good about the holders melting, I would urge everyone to check these on your own car, that looks like it could very easily start a fire if they are getting THAT hot! That said they're different bulbs to the ones I posted but given the ones I recommended are 10w as opposed to tups 5 watt ones then they probably get hotter than them!

Not good at all!

3rd Gear

Status
    Mine have had over 2 hours of use in approx 30 minute bursts.
    tomorrow I'm going to drop one out and check it.
    I'll report back.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

That'd be good. Starting to panic!

3rd Gear

Status
    I've been doing so e research on the net and it shows that members from this forum tried these bulbs or very similar about 18 months ago and pretty much everyone reported they removed them due to heat issues.
    think I'll be removing mine tomorrow and looking for another option.
    Trups isn't far away with his so hopefully next week.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

So many complications for such a small mod

3rd Gear

Status
    Just removed mine.
    The black parts if the holders next to the connections look pretty shiny with parts starting to distort.
    That's after only a couple if hours use in half our bursts.
    Going to check my software version to see if I can run the oem A5 lamps
    IBIS WHITE S3

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

seems a bit risky to me. I will be taking mine out then. Hopefully they manage to resolve the LED problem soon. Compared these bulbs to my own last night and they are so much better

3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah you'd wonder why its so difficult?
    Other cars run canbus LEDs alright.
    IBIS WHITE S3

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

yeah its just not worth melting bits of your car IMO. I am sure there will be a break through soon for LED. Is nothing straight forward anymore haha?

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah you'd wonder why its so difficult?
    Other cars run canbus LEDs alright.
    These are the LEDs that work in my 2010/2011 car ... AUDI A3 S3 A4 S4 RS4 A6 S6 RS6 A5 S5 Q7 A8 S8 10' 11' 12' LED license plate lamp | eBay

Little too bright but add some LaminX - no errors and not had a problem after a year of use ...
    Marshy likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Just removed mine.
    The black parts if the holders next to the connections look pretty shiny with parts starting to distort.
    That's after only a couple if hours use in half our bursts.
    Going to check my software version to see if I can run the oem A5 lamps

Sorry guys, thought I'd sussed a good option there but not to be

Not good, I'll be removing these tonight.

What's this about software version for standard A5 LED's?

3rd Gear

Status

Error free LED number plate bulbs for facelift 8P - a decent alternative!

Thanks for the link mate.

Research shows some cars depending on software version of the control unit have an option for led number plate lamps which can be coded via vcds. This enables you to run audi A5 oem led lamps.
    Failing that the link above looks good and there's another on eBay guaranteeing success.
    I'm going to check mine tomorrow after charging my laptop tonight.
    IBIS WHITE S3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast