Error free LED number plate bulbs for facelift 8P - a decent alternative!

Muzza80

Reaction score
Just a quick post to share a good find I picked up this week.

Obviously we all know that replacement LED bulbs throw up an error on the DIS of the facelift 8p's. Well I cant remember where I read it but someone recommended PolarG Hybrid festoon bulbs as a good alternative to LED's and obviously as they're still a halogen bulb no errors. £11.70 a set delivered, mine only took a week.

M28 Polarg White Interior Bulb light 10x37mm 12V 10W Signal Japan JDM Bl Hybrid | eBay

null_zps442abac5.jpg~original

Now I had my doubts but ordered a couple of sets anyway and fitted two to the rear number plate lights on my 2010 S3 tonight and I have to say they're ****** brilliant, pretty much on par with replacement LED bulbs I've fitted to other cars in the past.

Sorry for the crap pic, I'll try and get some better ones.

null_zps0094d248.jpg~original

From what I've read the PolarG brand are the ones to get.

Not a bad alternative I reckon, I certainly will be getting more and doing the full interior with them.

Cheers.

Reactions: reepers, Marshy, Ash187 and 1 other person
Look excellent. Gonna give them a go thanks

Reactions: Muzza80
Glad to be useful, they actually look even better in the flesh that's a really poor pic on my iPhone.

Here's another pic taken today on the way into work, still pretty rubbish though lol

977278F1-92B6-484F-B13F-97F6E91715A9_zpsawgpy29v.jpg~original

One point to note, they're ever so slightly (maybe 2-3mm) shorter than the originals so you have to bend the contacts in a tiny bit to get a solid fit, no biggie but worth mentioning.

Cheers.

Reactions: Ash187
Trups sells these as an FYI at half the price...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/products/146077-ice-white-halogen-festoon-36mm.html

I assume he still does anyway? I've had a pair from him in my car for almost 2 years now and they're still going strong.

I did see them but in those pics they're not even close in terms of light output compared to the ones I posted, maybe it's just the pictures but they hardly even light up to the bottom of the plate? they also seem to be very blue looking but that could again just be the pic.

100_1122.jpg

null_zps0094d248.jpg~original

977278F1-92B6-484F-B13F-97F6E91715A9_zpsawgpy29v.jpg~original

Mine seem fine, not sure if it was just an isolated issue? Would be useful to hear from someone who's purchased them recently.

It doesn't look like he's far off solving the LED numberplate light issue though anyway :)

Mine seem fine, not sure if it was just an isolated issue? Would be useful to hear from someone who's purchased them recently.

It doesn't look like he's far off solving the LED numberplate light issue though anyway :)

I think it's more that the ones I've fitted are 10w vs those which are 5w

LED solution will be good once sorted though :)

I ordered mine the night you posted here and they came today.
First pic new bulb on the left old on the right to show the difference.
null_zpsdd03baeb.jpg

Second them both done
null_zpse8be4838.jpg

Look really good
Thanks

I installed the Polarg festoon ones from t8ups a few months back and this is what happened - keep an eye out ... it could have just been my 2010 car ...

7922520732_51b701f279_c.jpg

7922565734_2d4653d027_c.jpg

I installed the Polarg festoon ones from t8ups a few months back and this is what happened - keep an eye out ... it could have just been my 2010 car ...

7922520732_51b701f279_c.jpg

7922565734_2d4653d027_c.jpg

Oh dear that's not good! :-( Did that happen straight away or after having the lights on for ages?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but will these work on the 8P1?

Bulbs are real nice. No errors. Happy days!! Let's hope they are durable

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 519
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 432
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 444
Looks great, just ordered myself a pair.

I've been meaning to do this small mod for a while so thanks for the share!

I'm assuming nobody has had any issues as reported above if melting the lamp holders?
I've checked mine after a few 20 minute drives and the number plate lamp lense does get pretty hot.

I'm assuming nobody has had any issues as reported above if melting the lamp holders?
I've checked mine after a few 20 minute drives and the number plate lamp lense does get pretty hot.

no issues but they do get pretty hot rather quickly. I am a bit sceptical ..

Oh dear that's not good! :-( Did that happen straight away or after having the lights on for ages?

Bulb in pic blew after 2 months - it was when I went to check that I found both sides had melted ... I'm guessing this was happening from the beginning. Both bulbs had the discolouration on the contacts and you can see the blown bulb in the pic is 'misty'. Not sure how this has affected the wiring going into the casings. On LEDs now that work on my car so the housings are working.

Bulb in pic blew after 2 months - it was when I went to check that I found both sides had melted ... I'm guessing this was happening from the beginning. Both bulbs had the discolouration on the contacts and you can see the blown bulb in the pic is 'misty'. Not sure how this has affected the wiring going into the casings. On LEDs now that work on my car so the housings are working.

i see you have 50mm springs? I just bought a set today. how are you getting on with them?

Oh dear that ain't good about the holders melting, I would urge everyone to check these on your own car, that looks like it could very easily start a fire if they are getting THAT hot! That said they're different bulbs to the ones I posted but given the ones I recommended are 10w as opposed to tups 5 watt ones then they probably get hotter than them!

Not good at all! :(

Mine have had over 2 hours of use in approx 30 minute bursts.
tomorrow I'm going to drop one out and check it.
I'll report back.

I've been doing so e research on the net and it shows that members from this forum tried these bulbs or very similar about 18 months ago and pretty much everyone reported they removed them due to heat issues.
think I'll be removing mine tomorrow and looking for another option.
Trups isn't far away with his so hopefully next week.

Just removed mine.
The black parts if the holders next to the connections look pretty shiny with parts starting to distort.
That's after only a couple if hours use in half our bursts.
Going to check my software version to see if I can run the oem A5 lamps

seems a bit risky to me. I will be taking mine out then. Hopefully they manage to resolve the LED problem soon. Compared these bulbs to my own last night and they are so much better

yeah its just not worth melting bits of your car IMO. I am sure there will be a break through soon for LED. Is nothing straight forward anymore haha?

Just removed mine.
The black parts if the holders next to the connections look pretty shiny with parts starting to distort.
That's after only a couple if hours use in half our bursts.
Going to check my software version to see if I can run the oem A5 lamps

Sorry guys, thought I'd sussed a good option there but not to be :(

Not good, I'll be removing these tonight.

What's this about software version for standard A5 LED's?

Thanks for the link mate.

Research shows some cars depending on software version of the control unit have an option for led number plate lamps which can be coded via vcds. This enables you to run audi A5 oem led lamps.
Failing that the link above looks good and there's another on eBay guaranteeing success.
I'm going to check mine tomorrow after charging my laptop tonight.