3.2 owners opinions please

max9650

Reaction score
hi all I have just joined, I bought myself a 1999 audi a3 1.8T Quattro and really loving it, however I really think I should save for a few months and go get a the newer 3.2 V6 Quattro, So I just have a few questions.

Why are they so cheap compared to like the 2.0T's!

Are they very bad on fuel which is what I heard? What do you guys average mpg. I know they are a 3.2 v6 and arnt going to be very fuel efficant but I don't want to be afraid to drive it anywhere! , and any other information I should know about the 3.2 V6 apart from they sound lovely :D !

Many thanks - Max

They are cheap as only a moron would buy one :)
they are thirsty as they weigh 65 tonnes (it took 4 of us to push mine up a ramp into a garage the other week)

But as JJ said, just buy one and see for yourself.
one went on eBay last week , black, pan roof fully loaded for 4k I think. Slight damage on it like.
Cant see them getting any cheaper than they are now unless fuel shoots up again.

Don't listen to the critics!

Obviously you don't buy one for fuel economy...but mine does return up 32mpg on the motorway.
It's probably cheaper as they are less desirable due to pathetic fuel prices in this country!
I found it was cheap to insure.
As others will tell you road tax is pretty much half for pre 06 reg's.
Oh, they are fun to drive!!

Reactions: london jay
I find insurance reasonably cheap. A lot lot lot cheaper than the R32 and I live in the ar*ehole of England.

Also I would add I'm not a critic of the car,although reading my posts you may think different, I'm just a critic of MY car! Lol.
A good A3 3.2 is a brilliant car. I would suggest its one of the top 5 best all rounders on the market. Just my opinion.

for insurance the 3.2 only cost me £100 more than the 2.0T, i know it sounds alot, but considering my total price its only like 5% (kill me)
and then u have 5grand spare, you slam a turbo on it. THEN YOUR A REAL WINNER.

Not only do you have a fully loaded A3 with all the gadgets, you have a 400bhp machine for under 10k which you would not get a fully loaded S3 for!

But bar that, get the 2.0T A3 quattro, and your only some MODS away from S3 performance.

You after performance, or a lush car to drive around in?

the 3.2 is a great choice but all depends on what one you get I just happened to find a ( real bute in my eyes ) sold it and missed it so i bought it back, in comparison to a 2.0t its got a hell of a better sound so what if you can't tune them as cheap as you could a turbo but bhp isn't everything, i find the sound and 250 bhp just fine if i wanted a really fast car or a s3 i would have bought one but for the saving to be had on the 3.2 made logic to buy, as for mpg 22 for the town and 33 for the motorway and if i put it in sport mode mpg can drop to 15 but didn't buy it to watch the mpg, if i was on the hunt for one i would goo 2006 sport back and go s-line there is a few on auto trader at the mo, as for its faults every car has it faults I'm tired defending the 3.2 however if its been looked after and you look after it there should not be any worries ...see my sig for what I've got

:faint:

Always the best defense of a v6 owner... why not buy a 2.0tdi then? :meeting:

em why did you not get a rs3 and settle for second best??? or why did you not get something faster than a s3???;-)

why why why

i was in the market for a golf r32

and the reason i was in the market for a golf r32 was for the 4 wheel drive the sound of the 3.2 v6

this came up in my search for cars and i bought it

also enjoy s3 owners having we digs and making out that our 250 bhp cars are soooo slowwwwwwwww

em why did you not get a rs3 and settle for second best??? or why did you not get something faster than a s3???;-)

why why why

i was in the market for a golf r32

and the reason i was in the market for a golf r32 was for the 4 wheel drive the sound of the 3.2 v6

this came up in my search for cars and i bought it

also enjoy s3 owners having we digs and making out that our 250 bhp cars are soooo slowwwwwwwww

Hahaha... I'm only pulling your chain... putting the line out there to see if you bit..

I always find it funny though how guys searching for v6's were always considering buying the s3, but settled on the v6 and then tend to slate the S3.... You are right the V6 does sound awesome with the right exhaust, as for your comment about the RS, unfortunately it didnt fall into my price range, but i'm also not a fan of sportbacks either... If they made a 3dr RS then it would be on the list.. So the fact I was looking for a 3dr, surely means that I havent bought 2nd best... agree?

Maybe not in your case as you were looking at R32's... but theyre are plenty others out there that have...

Reactions: ninjakid
Thankyou guys the way I look at it, the money they go for 4-5k vs similar spec 2.0T the difference, possibly a few thousand will pay to take a few less mpg overall, I don't do many miles so shouldn't be too much an issue, they sound lovely.. Just gotta get saving :0

Pulling my chain ha ha that was a good one watch you don't pull my chain to much it might snap ho ho hoooo,

Aye ok then..! ha.... maybe see you at 1 of the meets and we can have our v6 v s3 convo a bit further then...

Aye ok then..! ha.... maybe see you at 1 of the meets and we can have our v6 v s3 convo a bit further then...

My best mate has a s3 so know how they compare to the 3.2 and heard enough of my cars better than yours also don't go to meets however I hope You did get my comment was a joke as the more I read it the more it looks like I'm saying don't push your luck which was not the case ??? I said it In regards to the 3.2 chain being one of it's biggest faults and can snap and thought it was a good witty comeback to your comment ( pulling my chain ) :-D

Last edited:
Reactions: S3_Jacko
hi all I have just joined, I bought myself a 1999 audi a3 1.8T Quattro and really loving it, however I really think I should save for a few months and go get a the newer 3.2 V6 Quattro, So I just have a few questions.

Why are they so cheap compared to like the 2.0T's!

Are they very bad on fuel which is what I heard? What do you guys average mpg. I know they are a 3.2 v6 and arnt going to be very fuel efficant but I don't want to be afraid to drive it anywhere! , and any other information I should know about the 3.2 V6 apart from they sound lovely :D !

Many thanks - Max

I guess I can chuck my 5p's worth in here,as I've owned both.

I had a 3.2 a few yrs back,and loved the sound,and the smooth,easy feel of the engine,but after an A4,I moved to an S3,as the car offered a lot more potential.

It doesn't sound as nice,the engine isn't as smooth,but it is easier on petrol,and getting power from it is a lot easier,if that's what you have in mind.

So....2 excellent cars,just different....like expresso or latte,you want one or the other.

Reactions: discostu49
You Scottish lads are far to aggressive.....lol. must be all the additives in Iron Bru:yahoo:

Reactions: markos72, discostu49 and Jonathaan
I nearly bought a TT 3.2 recently but went to our local Audi garage for a chat with the service chaps beforehand. The big one that they mentioned was the timing chain and it is about 20 hours labour. Coupled with potential issues of an early DSG gearbox made me think again

Had my 2004 3.2 for around 18 months now, in that time my average is 24.4mpg
Best mpg on a tank so far is 27.9mpg, worst is 18mpg.

Good points
They're cheap to buy
They're subtle looks wise compared to the S3 (might be a minus for folks more flashy)
Throttle response (astounding)
Noise (fantastic with a decent exhaust)
Smooth
No turbo lag
Good real world cruiser

Bad points
Bit of a barge on the corners (but then it's a Audi so it's hardly likely to be the most responsive of cars this side of a R8)
Fuel economy
Higher tax rate here in Greece
Prone to understeer unless you drive around it
Not as easy to tune as getting a S3 tuned for more boost

It's really down to what you prefer and if the good points outweigh the bad.
Personally i test drove several S3's and i really wasn't impressed, the motor felt like it was egging me on, but the chassis and dull steering just couldn't cash the cheques that the motor wrote.
The handling is just as dull on the 3.2 (if not more so) but the engine tends to goad you into cruising more, so in my opinion it just suits the character of the car more.

I recommend getting one. Every car has its faults, the 3.2 is no worse than other audis. Performance wise it's not a sports car but more a cruiser, although it can be made incredibly fast if you have the money. I like the effortless low down torque it delivers and don't miss having a turbod car.

Fuel economy wise mine does 26-27 and the wife uses it for the school run.

Insurance wise it actually costs me less to insure than the 1.6 16v picasso i've recently bought (both quotes done exactly the same but i chose the picasso to be done under a second car policy)

You only need one reason and that is the sound they make, I've had my non res for a while now and it makes me smile each and every time I drive it, had a stranger comment how nice it sounds just half hour ago : )

Reactions: london jay and discostu49
I too ummed and arred before getting my v6.
I went for it and have had it for a few months now.
It is a bit juicy of course but I only use it at weekends so it's not much of an issue.
Every time I start her up it brings a smile to my face.
Go for it mate ;)