Badger5Monster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mango_Man

Thread: Cambelt/Timing Belt Query.....Had it done but have audi done it right!?!?

Reverse Gear

Status

Cambelt/Timing Belt Query.....Had it done but have audi done it right!?!?

Hi all,

I took my a3 in to Audi today (2009 2.0 TDI CBAB) for the Cambelt , water pump and tensioner. I specifically asked for the water pump and tensioner as I know it's good practice for it all to be done.

When I dropped the car off it didn't say tensioner on the job sheet, but the service advisor wrote "+ tensioner" on the job sheet.

anyway...... When I collected my car I looked at the receipt, and it said that there was "labour, Cambelt kit, water pump and coolent" there was no mention of the tensioner.

i asked the service advisor who phoned through to the technician who said it was part of the kit, but I was under the impression the tensioner was separate?!?

Ive since come home and I can't find any info of what is actually in a OEM cambelt kit for a 2.0 TDI CBAB engine? Am I right to think the tensioner is separate and it should be replaced.? Also when I got the quote for the work the price was for cambelt, water pump and tensioner and this is what I've paid (although it doesn't state tensioner).

hope this all makes sense

:-)
    SPARTAN91 likes this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    its in the kit
    but if it does fail then its down to them

Reverse Gear

Status
    What do you mean? Because they have not physically put down that it's been done?

3rd Gear

Status
    The tensioner is part of the kit so has the same guarantee as the belt and the idler.
    Don't worry its had everything that's required for total peace of mind.
    IBIS WHITE S3
    Revo stage 2+ and loving it

Reverse Gear

Status
    Brill, thank you marshy. :-) and beautiful car :-)

3rd Gear

Status
    Thank you.
    IBIS WHITE S3
    Revo stage 2+ and loving it

2nd Gear

Status
    Cambelt kit refers to belt, idler(s) & tensioner so it will be done as said above
    54 8P2 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI BKD - Shark stage 1 - EGR delete - Dolphin Grey

wxc
    Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mango_Man View Post
    Hi all,

I took my a3 in to Audi today (2009 2.0 TDI CBAB) for the Cambelt , water pump and tensioner. I specifically asked for the water pump and tensioner as I know it's good practice for it all to be done.

When I dropped the car off it didn't say tensioner on the job sheet, but the service advisor wrote "+ tensioner" on the job sheet.

anyway...... When I collected my car I looked at the receipt, and it said that there was "labour, Cambelt kit, water pump and coolent" there was no mention of the tensioner.

i asked the service advisor who phoned through to the technician who said it was part of the kit, but I was under the impression the tensioner was separate?!?

Ive since come home and I can't find any info of what is actually in a OEM cambelt kit for a 2.0 TDI CBAB engine? Am I right to think the tensioner is separate and it should be replaced.? Also when I got the quote for the work the price was for cambelt, water pump and tensioner and this is what I've paid (although it doesn't state tensioner).

hope this all makes sense

:-)
    Could I ask at what mileage did you change the cambelt?

I have the same engine CBAB and the service booklet that came with my car says 2.0L Tdi every 114,000 miles. Just wanted to check with you. thanks

2nd Gear

Status
    i always go with the notion of 80k or 4 years on a 2.0 tdi i could be wrong

RED FIVE STANDING BY
    Zookeeper Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wxc View Post
    Could I ask at what mileage did you change the cambelt?

I have the same engine CBAB and the service booklet that came with my car says 2.0L Tdi every 114,000 miles. Just wanted to check with you. thanks
    My local Audi dealer called me last week to tell me that the cambelt was due as it was now 5 years old
    58reg 2.0tdi 140(WAS) S-line Monza Silver withSUPERCHIP BLUEFIN
    S3 front grill/gloss fog light surrounds/rnse/gloss gunmetal wheels/EZ front spliter

Different Gear

Status
    From the Audi website - We recommend that your cambelt is replaced every 5 years or 75,000 miles, whichever comes first*, to ensure optimum safety and performance.

Regular maintenance < Maintaining your Audi < Owners area
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

4th Gear

Status
    a lot of people (myself included) would get the aux belt tensioner done as well, which isnt part of a cambelt kit.
    back to boost, oh how I missed thee....

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to barge in on an existing thread with my first post chaps
    But I've got an '09 8P with CBAB (140) which I've owned for about 8 months.
    The car is due service & MOT next month, which will be the first since I bought it.
    It's been fine since I bought it, never missed a beat, no warning lights or fault codes. Bit rattly when cold, but nothing untoward. It's just coming up to 100k on the clock.

My question is this: The car was fleet owned & main-dealer serviced since new. When would Audi normally change the cambelt etc?
    I've seen people here recommending 4 years/80k, but also that Audi's "max interval" is 118k(?)
    Obvs if it's been done already then I don't want to be forking out for it, but I'm thinking the lease firm may have had it on some sort of low cost servicing deal with Audi, and that they might keep costs down by running them up to 100k on the original cambelt.
    Clearly the only way to know for sure is to check the car's history (which presumably Audi will have), but I'm just wondering what a main dealer would normally do... change it at 80k? Leave it until 118k?

Second, if I'm gonna get it done I won't skimp on it. I'll get cambelt, waterpump, tensioner(s), aux belt all done.
    My mechanic (who I trust) is an independent. What would I be looking at (roughly) for cost of the parts & hours labour?

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Different Gear

Status
    From the Audi website - We recommend that your cambelt is replaced every 5 years or 75,000 miles, whichever comes first*, to ensure optimum safety and performance.
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide