Stage 2+ ... on a budget

elrao

Reaction score
Its taken a while but I have managed to source some second hand parts to go stage 2+ on a budget. Picked up a full turbo back, resonated, milltek for a sportback (needs a new lambda probe boss) and a full HPFP pump (OEM pump with KMD internals installed) through the forum classifieds. Getting the exhaust fixed/fitted by the guy doing the restoration/conversion of my splitscreen camper (fitting a 3.2 porsche engine in) and then AMD are then fitting the fuel pump, new cam follower and one of their AMD CAI kits and doing the Revo stage 2 remap / tuning.

Component
Hardware Cost
Fitting Cost
Total Cost
Milltek + Gasket
£405.90
£50
£455.90
Lambda Boss
£3.25
£20
£23.25
Fuel Pump
£275
£37
£312
Cam Follower
£35
£0
£35
AMD CAI + Heatshield
£350
£50
£400
REVO Stage 2+
£0
£120*
£120
£1,346.15

* Upgrade from Stage1 to Stage 2+ as the car came with REVO stage 1

Still not cheap, but that is the price of the exhaust alone if buying it new!! Was tempted to save some money by buying a cheaper CAI than the AMD one, but its reasonably priced and as they are so new have not seen any come up second had. Car is an S-Tronic, so (hopefully) can handle the torque - but may go for a gearbox map at some point.

Looking forward to the extra torque, car as a stage 1 feels slow compared to the S4 (3.0 V6 S/C model) even though it is about the same power/weight as the S4, however the supercharged 3l engine picks up so well from a standing start!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave-S3 and Dean_T
Well done!

You'll really feel and enjoy the extra torque.

Got a new clutch?? If your cars a s-tronic then just ignore me. Haha

What about the other things needed for the power increase...suspension, brakes? Does that price include the high flow cat and downpipe or just cat-back?

With a 70 ish bhp increase I wouldn't bother with a brake or suspension upgrade, but that's just me. Maybe if I was going stage 3 or higher then I would consider brakes and suspension! Figures aren't be be all & end all but you should see between 340-360 with stage 2+ dependant on settings & the dyno used. The K03 is maxed out at 370, if it
Was me I wouldn't run it on the edge all the time anyway! Haha

Always makes me angry when people talk about needing upgraded brakes and suspension when increasing the power of the car. You don't NEED to do anything unless you want it to handle better or stop quicker, which unless you are on a track is not worth it IMO.

I won't be driving any faster than I do now, just getting there a little bit quicker

Always makes me angry when people talk about needing upgraded brakes and suspension when increasing the power of the car. You don't NEED to do anything unless you want it to handle better or stop quicker, which unless you are on a track is not worth it IMO.

I won't be driving any faster than I do now, just getting there a little bit quicker

I can see your point,but the other side of it is being able to use the extra power,but it's also worth noting that a good handling but underpowered car will often get from A to B,faster than it's more powerful counterpart,and not just on the track.

I don't drive mine like a hooligan,but I do enjoy the improved handling and braking,but to be fair,what one person NEEDS,another doesn't.
The problem comes when you are going to fast,and have neither the handling nor brakes to control that momentum.

Reactions: nothingness
In most cases the best handling upgrade would be driver training!

In most cases the best handling upgrade would be driver training!

Well thats certainly true in my case!

I loved the trackday last year,but time is my biggest problem,so if another chance turns up,I'll try to be there.

Car is done, drove it with just the milltek on (turbo back, resonated with sports cat) and there was a noticeable difference. Felt like the Turbo was spooling faster with the car pulling away from a standing start much better. Not too loud (you know it's there, but wouldn't necessarily guess if you didn't know ). Big thumbs up for the exhaust.

Then down to amd for the hpfp , cai and revo stage 2+. Car wouldn't play with the dyno and it was getting late, so no rolling road read out yet. Going in for a haldex oil change as it's due and Shaun will try it again on the RR . Driving home, car warm, you could feel the extra boost in the mid and top end, but it felt a little groggy at low revs. Starting the car cold it's even worse at low end, not sure if that's typical or not? May just be that I'm now comparing it to the higher levels of power a the mid/top which accentuates the lack of power down low or it may be a compromise in the tuning to lose some performance down low for top end gains?

The AmD cai is very loud, a little too loud for me, but that's because of the air it's sacking in I guess, not sure any other open filter system will be any quieter but I may try another system, I'd lose a few hp to lower the db n the intake.

My Revo one sounds like Darth Vader with Asthma

Reactions: S.
Car is done, drove it with just the milltek on (turbo back, resonated with sports cat) and there was a noticeable difference. Felt like the Turbo was spooling faster with the car pulling away from a standing start much better. Not too loud (you know it's there, but wouldn't necessarily guess if you didn't know ). Big thumbs up for the exhaust.

Then down to amd for the hpfp , cai and revo stage 2+. Car wouldn't play with the dyno and it was getting late, so no rolling road read out yet. Going in for a haldex oil change as it's due and Shaun will try it again on the RR . Driving home, car warm, you could feel the extra boost in the mid and top end, but it felt a little groggy at low revs. Starting the car cold it's even worse at low end, not sure if that's typical or not? May just be that I'm now comparing it to the higher levels of power a the mid/top which accentuates the lack of power down low or it may be a compromise in the tuning to lose some performance down low for top end gains?

The AmD cai is very loud, a little too loud for me, but that's because of the air it's sacking in I guess, not sure any other open filter system will be any quieter but I may try another system, I'd lose a few hp to lower the db n the intake.

The CTS Turbo one is supposed to be really quiet, give Brodster a shout, its only £275 with the heat shield delivered from America!

I was going to go with the cts, but lead time ruled it out. Would want proof it was significantly quieter before forking out any more cash, just spent 350 on the AmD with heat shield.

Is the AMD ridiculously loud? I quite fancied one after seeing the gains, ask Marc about the CTS.

Going from stock to the AmD is really noticeable. Would be good to get cars with different kits on and do a side by side comparison.

AMD, Revo and any filter on stick will make such noise, VWR is your best bet then but yet very expensive for what it is. Besides stage 2+ should improve low revs as there is more torque and fuel coming into the engine. Mine was like night and day tbh.

I think ill get the CTS turbo one then when i come to buy!

I think ill get the CTS turbo one then when i come to buy!

I doubt it will be hugely different to be honest, there open filter designs. Would love to be proved wrong, if I'd seem the vwr then I'd probably have gone that route.