Dash Cam for my audi

Adam_A3_

Reaction score
Hi All

Dont know if this is the best place to put this thread - basically after a decent dashcam for my audi. with my long commutes i would like to keep my self covered, especially after my recent non fault accident.

Can anyone recommend something thats not to harsh on the pockets? the Blackvue is awesome but it cost too too much!

Would ideally like something to mount above/behind my rear view mirror

cheers

whats the deal with these, do you have to do anything with them to start record or delete files you dont need? or does it just wipe over every few days or something?

So the only need to touch it would be after an accident to gain access to files?

Im interested in getting one but dont want to faff around with it everytime i get in or anytime it gets full etc.

My Blackvue 550 front & rear cam is now setup to be self sufficient. It has a 32GB card which is more than adequate for my national trips. I have a Smart Power which will trip the camera power should it fall below a certain voltage whilst parked up, so not to render the car useless come the morning!

It will overwrite the oldest files, recording all the time whilst the car is on, auto switch to parking mode after a few minutes when I turn the engine off, putting it into a lesser power consuming mode which triggers the recorder via video motion or g-shock.

GPS to record location / speed / time & date and wifi so I don't need to keep removing the sd card and to aid setup of the cameras.

My guardian angel LOL.

PS there is a specific forum for cameras I believe - just have to scroll down the list a bit.

Tim at Advanced In Car Technologies can maybe offer a bit more info on cheaper cameras?

Reactions: Cruiser89 and Phil-1
AVOID cheap ones that come from china, I paid under £20 for mine and although it gave decent picture and sound and has helped me out quite a bit, it decided now it wants to keep blowing my cig lighter fuse!!

dunno why, it was fine for about a year

My Blackvue 550 front & rear cam is now setup to be self sufficient. It has a 32GB card which is more than adequate for my national trips. I have a Smart Power which will trip the camera power should it fall below a certain voltage whilst parked up, so not to render the car useless come the morning!

It will overwrite the oldest files, recording all the time whilst the car is on, auto switch to parking mode after a few minutes when I turn the engine off, putting it into a lesser power consuming mode which triggers the recorder via video motion or g-shock.

GPS to record location / speed / time & date and wifi so I don't need to keep removing the sd card and to aid setup of the cameras.

My guardian angel LOL.

PS there is a specific forum for cameras I believe - just have to scroll down the list a bit.

Tim at Advanced In Car Technologies can maybe offer a bit more info on cheaper cameras?

This sounds AMAZING... perfect, and park mode?! genius tbh

Thanks for that

Yo....

Right my thoughts on the cheap ones from Amazon & eBay is like anything in this mortal world of ours. You get what you pay for! If I had an accident and had a cheapy I wouldn't want the camera to let me down because I had skimped...

Ideally you want your camera mounted exactly where you have mentioned... If you mount it anywhere else it can be seen by the cop shop as obstruction of view. You also cannot legally have a camera that has any kind of screen that is "On" whilst the vehicle is moving due to it being a distraction.

I have done a lot of testing of different cameras from all round the world, for some reason loads of Chinese companies send me them all the time to look at and do a YouTube review, most of them are crap to be honest. Every camera system on our website is what I would personally have in my car. We're not Halfords and don't just stock everything, we really believe in the products.

Now I don't want to bore you to death with tech specs and different products. Take a look at the link below, see what you like the look of and send me a cheeky PM and we can work something out :)

Audi DashCams - In Car Cameras | Advanced In Car Technologies

If you want to check out some videos from some of the Blackvue's then take a look at our YouTube channel... Got some reviews and example vids...

https://www.youtube.com/AdvancedInCar

Hope that helps!

PS - Thanks to everyone recommending us :superman:

Forgot to post this up from our FB... A customer with an A5 called up and told me this yesterday.

Advanced In-Car Technologies
22 hours ago near Bournemouth

Just heard an amazing story from one of our customers who bought a Blackvue Cam from us a few months back...

Long story short - They were involved in an accident and the 3rd party looks to have fabricated a story that wasn't true to make our customer look at fault. Came to crunch time and the video was submitted that totally de-credited the 3rd party and their story!

Our customer just called to say Thanks for the Camera and without it they probably would have gone 50 / 50 or worse still, lost the claim... Just goes to show that these DashCams "DO" protect you and are worth every penny!

Hearing things like this makes what we do totally ROCK!

Reactions: Jameze
I've currently got a case brewing which I'm confident about thanks to my dash cam...

I received a parking ticket a month or 2 ago for apparently parking in a restricted bay (Pay & Display). I returned to my car to find a No Waiting cone had been placed right behind my car almost touching the rear bumper and a PCN on my windscreen. I was confident the cone wasn't there when I parked (for one thing I drove forwards into the bay so surely I would have flattened it when parking!?).

Upon reviewing my footage, you can clearly see that when I arrived my bay did not have a cone in it, nor adjacent to the footpath. In fact, when I arrived, another driver was just approaching his car and leaving so I parked in that spot. So clearly I wasn't the only one who believed it wasn't a restricted space.

Fast forward 30 minutes (with the camera currently recording in Park Mode) and the wonderful traffic warden appears. He spends a minute or so writing me a ticket out at the front of my car before then disappearing behind my car. He was the out of shot for a full 2 minutes... bear in mind when I parked, there was NO cone behind my car. He then re-appeared to the front of my car to stick the PCN on my windscreen and take a photograph of the front and rear of my car for his 'evidence'.

It's obvious to me that he was waiting for the coast to be clear before quickly moving a No Waiting cone from nearby (they were scattered in various spaces down the road as there was road works happening in various places down that road) and placing it behind my car, and then slapping the PCN on my car. Nice little Christmas bonus there for him! What other reason does he have to go behind my car?? Especially for 2 minutes!

When I confront them about the footage I'm expecting them to say that he was taking a photograph of the rear of my car (they usually do front and back for evidence). Aside from the fact it doesn't take 2 minutes to take a photograph, I have already received the rear photograph from them when I initially challenged the PCN. The photograph captures 2 people walking across the road... further investigation into the dash cam footage actually shows that these people don't cross the road until he disappears behind my car for a second time after having slapped the PCN on my windscreen and taken a photo of the front of my car. It proves that he had no reason whatsoever to go behind my car. Gotcha!

It's situations like this that make me wish I had the 2 channel camera which faces rearwards too, as I can assure you I would not let this settle until he was given the boot by the council. Surely it puts all PCN's issued by this warden into question??

I am awaiting their response to another query (they still don't know about my footage) and will be taking this as far as I can (including the Parking Ombudsman and the local newspaper) until a full investigation has been done. It's blatantly obvious what has happened and absolutely disgusting to say the least. It's nothing more than a money making scam... wait for someone to park, place a cone in their bay, snap a pic and give them a PCN. Easy money! I bet I'm not the only one to have this happen to, but fortunately I have the dash cam footage to defend myself.

Bring it on!

Reactions: TDI-line, Irfan Kasmani, Cruiser89 and 1 other person
Thanks fellas. theres enough for me to go on. Cruiser the prices in your link are out of my budget unfortunately. think the blackvue at £169 seems reasonable - was ideally looking for something cheaper. lets see if i can work out how to install this and then weigh up my options

tarr

Thanks fellas. theres enough for me to go on. Cruiser the prices in your link are out of my budget unfortunately. think the blackvue at £169 seems reasonable - was ideally looking for something cheaper. lets see if i can work out how to install this and then weigh up my options

tarr

Cool - The DR380 is such a popular camera... Quality is very good and quite a few members on here have bought this one from us. Chuck me a PM when you're ready and we'll go from there! :)

I once got a parking ticket in a company car that had active tracker fitted. Went to the council offices and presented them with the report that showed the car parked around the corner not in a no waiting area.

The ticket was cancelled and I received an apology

Reading this makes me want to get a dash cam now.

Let us know how you get on

What's cost is the 2nd camera which can be site in the rear view window?

OK so ive been looking into these cameras - whats the difference between the DR550 and DR500? is it just that the first one has a rear view camera? also - DR500 has wifi, does this mean you can access footage 'live' or is it a matter of being able to look at the videos via an app? please explain....thanks

The 500 model is one camera only. The 550 are two cameras.
For both models you can watch a live feed on a smarphone via wi-fi, you can wathc the recordings and you can download the files and watch them on the phone or on a computer.
I have the 500 model and now I wish I would have bought the 550 one, to have my back covered too.

Tim, how about an upgrade? Coud I send the 500 and pay the difference for 550? :)