Droopy Rear Wiper

Aldo

Reaction score
I noticed today on the A3 that after closing the boot, the rear wiper dropps down and the blade touches the pait.

Common problem, will I just need a new wiper assembly?

I'll ivestigate further later but posted up in case it's a common proble.

I did try a search but got all sorts back!

Lift up the rear tab, remove the nut. Prise the blade from the spline shaft ( this can be a pain sometimes i used a angle grider key) and worked it up with the help of some WD40. Clean it all up and then place the blade back onto the spline but move it round anti clockwise to compensate for the sagging.

Hope this helps,
Jonny.

Reactions: c_w and Aldo
Thanks as well Boydie, I'll check it tonight.

They'll be lots of niggly faults on this car so will start to make a list!

My 57 Sportback is the same, and I was planning on exactly what Jonathan suggests!

Well, what a nuisance this job is.

I've completely made it worse by busting the retainer brackets of the motor trying to get the wiper arm off, pulled and moved on it a bit too hard!

This is why is usually get other people to do mechanics on the car ha ha!

Looks like ill need everything new now as all 3 brackets are broken and I still didn't get the arm off with the fear of the glass shattering!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384635494.223221.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384635494.223221.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 276
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384635511.829497.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384635511.829497.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 263
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384635525.301446.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384635525.301446.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 284
Well I got a replacement motor and arm off the bay. Part number 8e9955711e

Was like new and fitted with ease and works perfectly.

Like the de wipered look bit prefer the practicality of having one. :)

Sounds like the notorious rear wiper motor issue. I ended up removing the lot and replacing with a rubber insert. There will be de wipering threads here, but this was exactly how it started with mine.

Is it possible to use a rear assembly off a mk6 golf or something to repair and prevent this problem ?
Possibly, but from my experience the fault is linked with the rear windscreen washer jet interfering with the motor, so I suspect it wouldn't make a difference.

Reactions: Inertiauk
Possibly, but from my experience the fault is linked with the rear windscreen washer jet interfering with the motor, so I suspect it wouldn't make a difference.

Explains why my rear wash doesn't work anymore too.
So just replace the whole thing (motor and arm etc) every 3-5 years when it happens? but theres no way to stop it?

You would think Audi would've found a cure to the problem on a car they had in production for 8-9 years.

Don't really want to de-wiper.

You would think Audi would've found a cure to the problem on a car they had in production for 8-9 years.

Don't really want to de-wiper.

The same basic wiper motor design has been around since the late 90s, and yes you'd think they would have sorted it out by now.
My '99 A4 Avant had a dodgy rear wiper motor when I purchased it in 2005 and I fitted a s/h 2001 wiper motor which lasted until about 2013 when it went again.
Instead of replacing the motor I repaired it using a Genuine repair kit costing about £50 and it was as good as new again.
When I bought my 2006 A3 last summer I was aware that if it was the original unit then it was on borrowed time and sure enough about 4 months later it developed a life of its own and kept randomly operating.
It was simple enough to buy a replacement as Amazon stock OEM Valeo units absolutely identical to the factory fitted ones at only £60, the cheapest main stealer price I'd seen was £85.
It is an inconvenience though over what is simply a bad design.

Reactions: DJ_26 and Inertiauk
Check out my youtube fix for leaking and malfunctioning wiper. Also it can stop your hatch back door failing to if it continuously leaks on the the lock control.

Reactions: Inertiauk