Monster MotorsportBadger5
    1st Gear

Status

Hairline cracks & buckles in Alloys

Hi,
    Is there a way to find hairline cracks or buckles in the Alloys? I've got some off eBay (With tyres) and now a bit skeptical if they are not good etc or if there is a problem! THe chap said that they have come off his car and it wasn't involved in any accident either...

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Take them to any decent tyre / balancing garage and ask them to check them (usually free)

5th Gear

Status
    If cracked, the tyre will loose pressure.
    Buckles are normally more pronounced on the inside of the rim... i.e. portion furthest from the spokes.

Tyre place will spin then slowly on the machine to see if they spin true.

Short Back

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 37 View Post
    Hi,
    Is there a way to find hairline cracks or buckles in the Alloys? I've got some off eBay (With tyres) and now a bit skeptical if they are not good etc or if there is a problem! THe chap said that they have come off his car and it wasn't involved in any accident either...
    Why so skeptical? is there any obvious damage?
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Neutral

Status
    I had a 17" Audi alloy crack just after i'd had some tyres fitted. Thought they'd not sealed the bead correctly or not used a new valve. As another said previously a sign of cracked alloys is losing pressure. Mine went down to 10 psi after about 10 days from the high pressure required in this size. On the second return they put the alloy in a bath filled with water & it bubbled like crazy where it had cracked. Mine had cracked on the inside next to the tyre going around into the inside of the alloy for about an inch & a half.

Just for info mine was a 2008 tdi sportback sport 170 bmn. Wheel was identified on the inside with Audi symbol, ronal brand made in Czech republic. New price at dealers £550 each.....gulp.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post
    If cracked, the tyre will loose pressure.
    Buckles are normally more pronounced on the inside of the rim... i.e. portion furthest from the spokes.

Tyre place will spin then slowly on the machine to see if they spin true.
    Tyres have been with me for 4 days and they don't seem to have lost pressure. Need to check it soon if I need to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    Why so skeptical? is there any obvious damage?
    No Damage at all, or so it seems. Seller was great too. Just me being silly I guess : P

Quote Originally Posted by Bedders View Post
    I had a 17" Audi alloy crack just after i'd had some tyres fitted. Thought they'd not sealed the bead correctly or not used a new valve. As another said previously a sign of cracked alloys is losing pressure. Mine went down to 10 psi after about 10 days from the high pressure required in this size. On the second return they put the alloy in a bath filled with water & it bubbled like crazy where it had cracked. Mine had cracked on the inside next to the tyre going around into the inside of the alloy for about an inch & a half.

Just for info mine was a 2008 tdi sportback sport 170 bmn. Wheel was identified on the inside with Audi symbol, ronal brand made in Czech republic. New price at dealers £550 each.....gulp.
    That's probably one of the reason I was skeptical but they do seem good, Czech made too. These ones actually.

On a different note, could someone post a link for the centre caps?? Can I fit the ones from my 16"?