S Line Suspension

rogdog

Reaction score
I've had my new sportback for 1 week now {2.0t quattro with all the S Line bits) and although its slighty less powerful than the S3 thats just gone I really like most things about it. But o dear that suspension. A lot tauter with less body roll than the S3 it does feel quite chuckable. The ride however seems to me to be a lot harder than the S3 and very jiggly over uneven surfaces ( don't remember it being that bad on the test drive) Is this just new car neurosis or have others found this too? I recall a post where someone said it beds in after 500 miles (did they just get used to it? Is there any prospect of my bum becoming less numb any time soon? (250 miles done to date)

I've done 10k in mine now and still find it very jiggly over rough surfaces but it does handle well so I am prepared to put up with it... I think they've gone a little mad with the compression damping causing the car to over react to small imperfections more than a normal setup would.

My car has done over 10000 miles and the 'fidgety' ride doesn't really get any better.

Given that damping always deteriorates with use,it suggests it's the springs that are at fault and they're just a wee bit too hard.

Another indicator of this is the fact the ride improves with a load.

AFIAK Damping should effectively soften up with more load due to the increased inertia of the car? The spring rate increases the more it is compressed so it can support the extra load, thus making it more harsh if it was the cause of a hard ride?

As Audi have admitted, they don't do ANY testing on UK roads!, only butter smooth German highways.

Their setup preference is for hard damping with relatively soft springing, which is why the audi's seem to suffer from being harsh over imperfections but will over-wallow in slow compression/rebound situations where the damping is less of a factor. ie the dip after a humpback bridge or the camber reversal when exiting a large roundabout.

[ QUOTE ]
Their setup preference is for hard damping with relatively soft springing, which is why the audi's seem to suffer from being harsh over imperfections but will over-wallow in slow compression/rebound situations where the damping is less of a factor. ie the dip after a humpback bridge or the camber reversal when exiting a large roundabout.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damping is a factor in all conditions,it's just different 'kinds' of damping.

High-speed damping controls how well the damper reacts to a bump.
Too much will lead to a bumpy ride.

Low speed damping controls how well the body is controlled.
Too little of this leads to wallowing/roll/pitching.

Ideally,you should have as soft a spring as you can get away with,but with good damping control.

Unfortunately,car makers (as with bikes) have to choose springs that can cope with a huge variety of loads and conditions.

With regard to the springs,I would be surprised if the S-line springs were rising rate,at least until the very limit of their stroke (to avoid bottoming).
I think the coil remains constant pretty much all the way.

Like I said before,the fact that the car rides better over bumps when loaded gives me the impression that it's the spring that's too hard.It needs the extra load to start working properly.

Hard to tell really,as it's hard to differentiate between too hard a spring and too much compression damping.Both will give (kind of) the same feeling.

Ideally,cars should come with a minimum of preload adjustment,which can be done hydraulically.

You would have it backed right off for single occupant driving,so the spring works properly.

If you have to take the family and luggage,turn it up so that the spring needs more force to make it work.

Even budget bikes have had this adjustment for donkeys' years.

I didn't go into the damping speeds, but It feels like the Audis (all of them that i've driven) have too much high speed damping that gives that scuttling feel over bumps and too little low speed to prevent the wallowing.

Mine (only a sport) really suffers from too little low speed damping, fast country lanes especially - when you get a dip on the near side, the car nearly bottoms out then tries to throw you across the road on the rebound!

The spring rates seem adequate for the vehicle from unloaded to fully loaded, maybe a little soft at the rear.

Obviously the load weight is a far smaller portion of the vehicle weight on a car than a bike. (unless you have two 1000kg passengers that weigh more than the car!!)

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't go into the damping speeds, but It feels like the Audis (all of them that i've driven) have too much high speed damping that gives that scuttling feel over bumps and too little low speed to prevent the wallowing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree it seems to be a bit of an Audi trait.
The S-line seems to throw over-hard springs into the equation as well though.

I've ridden loads of bikes with aftermarket (or modified standard) suspension,but I've only driven one car with non-standard stuff.

It was a revelation,I must say.

This is just my opinion,but I personally think Peugeot have got car suspension sussed (sic)
I've driven loads of them,from humble to sporty.
Good ride quality combined with good body control.

There's no need for a 'crash-bang' ride at all and,as I've said before,I think the S-line suspension hammers the build quality a bit,as witnessed by the number of rattles I've had/have.

Manufacturers offer us stereo upgrades,for example,so why not offer us a 'superior damping' option.
I'd pay for that.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

No one elses interiors could hande the hard ride. The doors would fall of a peugeot if you put A3 suspension on it!

As for it settling in, i rather suspect its a case of getting used to it! (or not)

[ QUOTE ]
No one elses interiors could hande the hard ride. The doors would fall of a peugeot if you put A3 suspension on it!

As for it settling in, i rather suspect its a case of getting used to it! (or not)

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true,on both counts !

I forgot the 40 profile tyres on the S-line.

They certainly do their bit towards the jittery ride as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

Its a bit like the BMW M3:

The standard 18" wheels are proven dynamically superior for road and track.

But everyone wants the 19" £2K option!

Looks are everything these days it seems.

That's why I stuck with the 17" rims, there's at least some compliance in tyres. I Tried an S-Line before I went for the Sport and hated the ride, but even the Sport can be jiggly on certain surfaces.

It would be interesting to see if you could lower the car 25mm, but make the ride less plank-like with better shocks.

Suggestions?

i believe that the eibach springs are a good compromise,they lower the car by about 10mm,and are a bit softer than the standard s-line ones,marriedblonde has them i think?

i keep meaning to change mine but cant motivate my self to fit them,and the warrany too,especialy if the rear shocks go that will be audi's get out clause i would guess.

I like the 17's. The 18's can seem a bit too big for the arches from some angles - especially if they are freshly cleaned you can see them coming before the rest of the car!

When I load up the boot, and the back sits down by about 20-30mm it looks great and I would really like to have it like that permanently.

Maybe fit s-line springs? then they'd be genuine audi parts? They might be better with the softer sport damping?

Personally I think the suspension on my S-line is way more comfortable than my last motor, which incidentally was a Peugeot, the Gti 180. It handled very well, but I just couldn't live with such an incredibly hard ride and had to get rid of it.

The A3 s-line handles better and the ride is, relatively speaking, much softer. Over my "favourite" piece of off-road (amusingly classed an "A" road) the s-line almost glides in comparrison /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I like the 17's. The 18's can seem a bit too big for the arches from some angles - especially if they are freshly cleaned you can see them coming before the rest of the car!

When I load up the boot, and the back sits down by about 20-30mm it looks great and I would really like to have it like that permanently.

Maybe fit s-line springs? then they'd be genuine audi parts? They might be better with the softer sport damping?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's odd you say that Mike about the wheels being too big, most of my mates look at my A3 (S-Line) and say it needs bigger wheels than the 18's! they reckon the rear one's look small, It does need lowering though, I might ring AmD and see which springs lower by what amount.

[ QUOTE ]
I've had my new sportback for 1 week now {2.0t quattro with all the S Line bits) and although its slighty less powerful than the S3 thats just gone I really like most things about it. But o dear that suspension. A lot tauter with less body roll than the S3 it does feel quite chuckable. The ride however seems to me to be a lot harder than the S3 and very jiggly over uneven surfaces ( don't remember it being that bad on the test drive) Is this just new car neurosis or have others found this too? I recall a post where someone said it beds in after 500 miles (did they just get used to it? Is there any prospect of my bum becoming less numb any time soon? (250 miles done to date)

[/ QUOTE ]

It would seem that Audi revised the springs and damper settings for the 2006MY cars.

I have a colleague who has an identical S-Line to mine except that his was a March 2005 build (mine was October) and the suspension on the earlier car is just plain rough.

The later cars seem to start off rock hard and mellow with a few hundred miles - I actually think it is the dampers that need time to bed in.

I have posted before on this but my 54 plate 1.8t A4 Cabrio Sport on 17" rims was a lot harder ride wise. Crikey even my ultra-critical 79 year old mother prefers the ride in the S-Line to the Cabrio......

Be patient, it will improve.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's odd you say that Mike about the wheels being too big, most of my mates look at my A3 (S-Line) and say it needs bigger wheels than the 18's!

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree.
18's are the absolute minimum for the A3,in my opinion.

I agree re what Audi have done to the 2006 MY S-line cars. My previous 2005 model was like a go-kart in terms of comfort, but my 2006MY Sportback is much more compliant. Having also had a Sport with 17" wheels for about 4 months between the two, I would say that the 2006 MY sline is only a bit harder and some of this will be down to the 18" rims I would expect.

Is the Sport S-Line option suspension different to just Sport or S-Line?

I find the ride fine on my Sport S-Line, but coming from other cars with much harder suspension, it feels a lot softer than im used to.

Like it a lot, but must admit there are a few occassions where it doesnt feel quite as good at ironing out bumps as you'd expect.

Coming from the other side Bob, I had a Lexus and ride on the Sline is rock hard to me!

[ QUOTE ]
Is the Sport S-Line option suspension different to just Sport or S-Line?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I'm concerned,there are three suspension types for the A3.

Normal
Sport
S-line

There's no such thing as "sport S-line" as far as I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Had a Golf Mkiv GTTDI which was like driving a jelly with springs on despite VWs 'sport' suspension. Absolute pish.

Whilst I can't fault the performance of the SLine suspension, it does get a bit tiresome sometimes, and I suspect that the rigidity of the setup is also responsible for the high transmission of road noise.

That being said, I wouldn't sacrifice the performance element for the moans listed above.

However, if it would perform the same, be quieter and a lot more comfortable, I wouldn't complain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But I guess that's where Aston Martins come in.

[ QUOTE ]
I find the ride fine on my Sport S-Line, but coming from other cars with much harder suspension, it feels a lot softer than im used to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only assume you mean heavily modified or serious sports cars.

In it's class,I doubt you would find anything else that rides as hard.

[ QUOTE ]
Whilst I can't fault the performance of the SLine suspension, it does get a bit tiresome sometimes, and I suspect that the rigidity of the setup is also responsible for the high transmission of road noise.

That being said, I wouldn't sacrifice the performance element for the moans listed above.

[/ QUOTE ]

But your last comment suggests the hard suspension gives it an 'edge',which it doesn't.

The S-line isn't a bad handling car at all,but it's really no better than the competition,most of which are more comfortable in the process.

Fact of the matter is: the suspension set-up on the s-line is very good - for germany! But on the pile of crap that we call roads over here, it's not very good. On smooth roads, the handling is superb, "normal" bumps and undulations are taken with ease and comfort. But on our pot-holed and patched and crumbling surfaces in the UK, it's uncomfortable. The car was built for properly maintained roads, which ours are not.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's odd you say that Mike about the wheels being too big, most of my mates look at my A3 (S-Line) and say it needs bigger wheels than the 18's!

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree.
18's are the absolute minimum for the A3,in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems I'm out voted on that one!

I'm sure you could cram some 21" chrome spinners under the arches if you wanted, but being as the 18" RS6's look big even on a new A6 they're just out of proportion to a small car like the A3 in my opinion.

A bit too flashy for my taste i'm afraid.

I reckon 18's are fast becoming the minimum these days.

The MD's new S4 looks weedy with 17's on it,and the new BMW 3/5 series just look downright silly on their teeny-weeny shopping trolley wheels (16's ?)

Big doesn't have to mean 'bling'.

My S-line and my colleague's sport are parked next to each other just now and there's no doubt my S-line wheels are a far simpler design than the over-complex abominations (IMO) on his sport.

His wheels remind me of a German WW2 medal.

<His wheels remind me of a German WW2 medal.>

LOL, I liked those wheels, but the RS6 look great. I'm really glad I did not go for the 2 part multispoke now. I agree with you Bowfer on that 18" are becoming the norm. My Brother A4 Cab with 17" star alloys look a little out of place. In 3 or 4 years will we all have 18" with 19" being the option of choice?

[ QUOTE ]
Had a Golf Mkiv GTTDI which was like driving a jelly with springs on despite VWs 'sport' suspension. Absolute pish.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL had the same mate about 5 years ago, pre ordered GT TDI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif could not wait.

It was like a bouncy castle !, destroyed the underpan on the first drive up a speed bump as the front end just Bounced up and down !

God it had so much protential to be a good car though.

Praise the Lord for the Hard Ride of the S-Line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ahh the ole Gold GT TDI 110

golf1.jpg

I don't remember the suspension on my MkIV Golf Gti 1.8T being too hard or too soft.

The fact I don't remember thinking it was a problem tells me it must have been pretty much Ok.

Colleagues MkIV 1.6SE was like a waterbed though.

Axle-tramp was a huge problem with the Golf though.

Any wheelspin had the front wheels bouncing and causing the most horrendous BANG BANG BANG BANG noise !

My 3 series bimmer with its sports suspension and 18's had an unbelievably crashy ride, there's a series of small undulations on the A1 north heading out of Hatfield and it used to change lanes at 70mph, Bloke I share a lift with most days had a 1 series for a few days and that was just the same!

smoother than his old Type R though!

IMO i think its the damping and the 18's which make for a harsh ride at low speed.

17's would definately be better on b roads and would differently valved shocks

i ended up with the s-line as it looks the part and at motorway speeds it gets significantly better.

springs feel about right for fast road stuff and have never bottomed the car on the 'fun stuff'.

company car so i doubt i'll change suspension.

its a soft option to the weekend car (993 fitted with bilsteins) which is spring / valved for over 3 figure speeds - unfortunately it resides in the UK! hence hard ride all day everyday :-(

[ QUOTE ]
Axle-tramp was a huge problem with the Golf though.

Any wheelspin had the front wheels bouncing and causing the most horrendous BANG BANG BANG BANG noise !

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes that happened rather a lot on me ole Lease Golf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Its was indestructible though.
Imagine -2 degrees on some mornings. Whats the fastest way to warm it up ?

Start it up and Floor it, i had a brick i put on the throttle, it sat in my drive bouncing off the rev limiter for 5 mins until it was nice and warm inside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thrashed the heck out of it all of the time for 2 years, it never had a service in that time as it didn't need one, it didn't use up any oil at all, but did get through 2 sets of front tyres though ( which was included in the lease agreement)
I bet its still running fine today as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif