Help - starting problem!

CrisCronin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a starting issue on my 2005 2.0 140 dsg TDI A3.

I returned home from a 40 odd mile trip, parked up on the drive and headed into the house for 10 or 20 minutes then popped out to the motor again to move to a more appropriate position and nothing.

Everythning works as normal the ignition fully on and I hear all the relays ect as normal but go to turn her over and nothing? I've had the starter checked and that's fine, haven't had a chance to check any fuses- although would any fuse stop the car from starting?

The car before had never had any issues starting ect so I'm a little stuck.

The only thing to add is that a couple weekes ago I bought the Rnse satnav and disconnected my original concert+Bose stereo to see if that would fit.

Any help is always greatly appreciated guys, thanks

Are you saying it doesnt even turn over?

No nothing. I have recently taken another look with the starter out and found a very thick black wire that, I suspect to be an earth, to have a snapped end. Looks like it starts from underneath the battery and up to the top of gearbox but doesn't look directly connected to either?

Man for that to snap it must have corroded badly, any pics?

From memory that black earth connection should be connected from the battery negative then bolt on to the chassis leg area then connect to the gearbox/starter.
by the sounds of things you've found your problem.
if the wire is all black it maybe best to replace it rather than getting an auto electrician to crimp on another eyelet.

Yeah its important, but I'd still like to see how bad it was, as its fairly thick to snap & I don't think it could be crimped safely tbh given the gauge, best to replace.

sorry for the late reply. Crappy iPhone wouldn't let me attach the photo's so here they are. Tried to show where it comes from and where it goes to. Hope they are of use to both of you
Image2
Image1

If you strip the covering back, you maybe lucky to be able to drill a new hole in the end to reaffix to the chassis, may need to make it a temporary open U hole just until you get a new lead, but make sure you brush up the end to give it better conductivity.

Also when you remove each end, clean up where it fixes too, I find dremel with wire brush end helps allot.

apologies the pics aren't terribly great! But thanks NHN helps allot also. Do you think this is my issue then?

excuse the possible silly question here also, but what does this wire actually do??

Yeah pretty much as above.
I'd try and get a new one as you don't want it happening again.
Also if its not 100% up to the job it'll only let you down with winter coming.

thanks Marshy - don't suppose anyone could give a rough price on the new part?

would stealership be best or are the aftermarket parts just as good to use here?

Knowing Audi prices probably around £30 new
Don't think anyone will do aftermarket so either a dealer or a TPS branch or a breakers.

Thanks again Marshy.

so just an update and a little troubleshooting has sorted out the issue. I will list what i have done just in case it might help someone else in the future...

A friend had ordered me a new starter and quickly put together a new and temporary cable for me.

First I hooked up the new cable with the old starter. This didn't resolve
I then hooked up the new starter with the new cable. This did resolve

Just out of curiosity I took the solenoid from the new starter motor and popped it onto the old motor and hooked this setup to the car and found this didn't work either.

so must have been a combination of faulty solenoid AND faulty earth cable

popped all the new parts on and hey presto all OK again! I just have to wait for the new cable to arrive now though...

Thanks NHN and Marshy for you helpful advice :)

So since 1 hour ago, your friend got a new starter & cable sorted, really, that's amazingly quick, glad sorted.

thanks Marshy

NHN - Yes mate, he ordered the new starter on his way to mine from work and picked that up on the way through and made the new cable after i sent the pics before i posted the thread. He's a handy man!! Glad I've got her back now :)