Squeaky brakes on A3

JamesElectric

Reaction score
Hey all,

Only my 2nd post on forum I haven't really had the time or the money to start thinking about the things i'd like to do with my car!! But I'm a bit worried about the noise coming from my brakes, I've had a scout around the forum but couldn't find anything.

Car is an 04 plate, A3 2l FSI sitting at around 73k, I had the service done at 70k.

Basically, something is causing a lot of noise when I either lightly apply the brakes or I then pull away from a standstill (at which point it's like an intermittent squeak as the wheel goes round, getting faster as I go faster.), as soon as I get past 30mph odd it seems to stop. I also noted that when driving slowly and turning ever so slightly left that the noise was happening then as well.

It doesn't seem to happen when I first jump in the car, and is generally quiet until the car has warmed up a bit. When dealing with traffic on the motorway the last couple of days the noise has been very loud and irritating.

The brake pad warning light is on (it has been following it's service which was in May, his problem has started in the last month or 2, where it passed a brake test fine, I think it's a sensor issue but felt it was worth mentioning)

The brakes feel as though they're working fine.

I'm a bit hesitant of taking it to a mechanic just yet as i'm pretty broke (and don't know a decent one in the Reading area yet) and want to get an idea of what might be going on first!

Cheers,

James

I had this same problem a while ago, turned out to be lipped discs. Might be worth a look?

Reactions: sliced
cheers for the reply, is it quite easy to check/see if they are lipped?

run your finger around the top of the disc and see if it has a lip at the front...

The brakes on my S3 have been squeaky since day 1. But inconsistently, they just go through random cycles for some reason. One day squeaky, next day not so bad, next day nothing. It's damn annoying though and they squeak more often than not.

Gonna give the discs a feel later today see how they are if that explains it, is it an expensive fix?

@Lima: I'd prefer a squeaky S3 that a squeaky A3 though ;) all though all days seem pretty bad for me, it's the best first 20 mins of a journey where it's quiet after that it's so annoying!

Yep, mine's going through an especially noisy period too.

Another trick you can try (which I need to do as well) is find a quiet stretch of road and do a handful of hard braking cycles from 60mph or so. In theory getting some decent heat into the brakes is supposed to help.

If I've been for a blast through some twisties, especially downhill with heavy braking, I usually have quiet brakes for a day or two.

well, I got a couple of pictures of the passenger front brake disc, they all felt like they had some lipping at the top. I got some pictures just to show you guys to boot. They don't look great!! A bit annoyed that they didn't say anything when I had it serviced!

This is the bottom of the brake disc i took pictures of, lipping didn't feel as bad on the bottom side.
Photo

this is the top of the brake disc. lipping felt worst on this wheel, also the level of rust/gunk didn't fill me with confidence.
Photo 2

Just to double check i've checked right, any lipping will be around the rustier area of the pad right? Seems logical but i wanted to be sure!

And this may sound silly, but could you not effectively sand it down?? Don't really want to have to fork out on new brake discs!!

Cheers everyone!

well, I got a couple of pictures of the passenger front brake disc, they all felt like they had some lipping at the top. I got some pictures just to show you guys to boot. They don't look great!! A bit annoyed that they didn't say anything when I had it serviced!

This is the bottom of the brake disc i took pictures of, lipping didn't feel as bad on the bottom side.
View attachment 22987

this is the top of the brake disc. lipping felt worst on this wheel, also the level of rust/gunk didn't fill me with confidence.
View attachment 22988

Just to double check i've checked right, any lipping will be around the rustier area of the pad right? Seems logical but i wanted to be sure!

And this may sound silly, but could you not effectively sand it down?? Don't really want to have to fork out on new brake discs!!

Cheers everyone!

discs aren't expensive as they seem.

Reactions: JayT
Yeah they really aren't all that expensive. Especially since GSF currently has 25% off discs, couple of brembo ones will set you back £60.

You could probably have the edge sanded down if you really wanted, though for £60 I'd be more inclined to just buy new discs.

Your choice though!

Yeah £60 isn't too bad at all. Cheers for the link for GSF. Last question, then I think i'm set!

How do i know which part number I need? GSF giving me a choice of 3? Is it the 288mm?

Lots of questions i know! I'm currently at work but want to get this sorted. I have had enough of squeaky driving!!

Something is scoring that disc for sure as you can see the inner circle line marking about what an inch in, I would check for stones, are you sure the pads aren't fecked aswell, also I would expect to see that rust as a lip with pad usage on more of that area near the edge tbh, maybe just angle & pics.

I guess i'll check for any stones that may have gotten in, i'm under the impression the pads are still good, braking still feels pretty solid. Hopefully i'll figure out what it needs this weekend!!