audi a3 2009 change brake pads help

deek19790

Reaction score
hi guys.

im gonna change my brake pads and need to ensure i have the correct tools, i know i need a piston tool but not sure if this will work for both front and back and also if this is correct tool

Sealey VS024 brake piston wind back tool ***NEW ***SALE PRICE*** NEW*** | eBay

or do i need the above and also

Disc brake piston spreader seperator tool / brake calliper / pad BERGEN AT187 | eBay

i used to just used a crow bar for my old car front but this time i think i shouldn't due to being a much better car.

any help much appciated.

ps. this is guide i saw http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/130954-how-change-brake-pads.html

thanks
d

1st tool is what I use, also make sure you spray some lube, say wd40 around the rubber boot of the piston, so it doesnt twist & tear as you wind piston back.

hi mate,

does this tool work for the front as well?

d

Last edited:
hi mate,

does this tool work for the front as well?

d

The Sealey tool is normally for rear calipers where the piston indexes as the pad wears to keep the handbrake in contention. The second one is a generic tool for returning pistons in a single or double piston regular caliper that has no handbrake scheme as those on the front.

Dave

If the bolts are the same as on my 2009 S3 then you will need a Spline tool bit but someone else may be able to confirm as I think it's either M12 or M14.

For many years, I've been using a G Clamp for front piston and grinder's Peg spanner for the rears. Works okay.

Powagrip Clamp medium

MmA1DyLksjyKRYLv6NCH4lA