Help - Turbo on A3 2.0TDI

S90JSO

Reaction score
Guys,

Just had a service on my 08 2.0TDI A3 at an audi dealership.

Ive got the health check report back and its flagged two things up;

1. Leak coming from turbo area
2. Oil leak from both boost pipe seals

Anyone had any problems with this before? Any advice much appreciated.

No sorry m8.
I thought Audi was supposed to flag things and let u know how much to fix it at the same times?

All they said was a price to "investigate" and then stated new turbo price if required..??

Take it to a reputable indy to get it diagnosed, the boost pipe clips are crap as another member has found lately, and the turbo could well be on its way out, but it could also just be manifold nuts are loose/missing

Is there a hiss under acceleration or anything funny sounding?

Oil leak from the boost pipes is just the seals need replacing, there will always be oil in intercooler & system due to oil misting which is perfectly normal, & it always collects in the lowest part of the system i.e. the 2 intercooler pipe connections.
As for oil near the turbo, it's a pretty broad description & could just be a leak from the breather pipe from the top of the cam cover to the turbo inlet, or it could be a leak from the oil feed pipe.

Go to a decent VAG indy garage & let them have a look to confirm anything before handing over any cash.

Reactions: NHN
can anyone recommend a decent VAG indy garage in the west hertfordshire area?

Thanks

I've found they always leak oil even with new seals, just remove pipes, clean up all fixings and seals with some brake cleaner, then squash u-clips inwards a tad & refit so adds more tension & holds the joints better.

I've tested my system for leaks with a dealer smoke/pressure tester with oily seals & it was not leaking at all, so I didn't bother replacing them again, just cleaned up, tested again & all as tightly sealed as such.

What tends to make the feed pipe leak is when the nut is done up to tight & it damages the feed pipe end & also can twist the pipe & the compression metal seal is no longer viable, which is why the turbo suppliers request/suggest a new pipe is fitted with new turbo.

We've always tested for leaks when fitting turbo's & if its not leaking there is no need to replace, we always check flow before doing up the return pipe, its imperative to do this, so you know the turbo is being fed at all/properly.

can anyone recommend a decent VAG indy garage in the west hertfordshire area?

Thanks

Depends what you want doing mate, as we can come out, clean up the pipes, seals, egr & imf, but unless a catch can is fitted, at some point it will become oily again, its by nature how the system operates, cleaning the egr etc definitely helps things & lets hope you don't have a faulty imf with broken plastic teeth.