2.0T FSI - Yellow oil light

ccx295

Reaction score
Hi all,

So on the way to work the other day a yellow oil light warning along with the please check oil message appeared just as I arrived at work.

I checked the oil and the level was fine (in the middle), so instead of taking the risk and driving it I decided to call out my breakdown, RAC.
I had a 1.8t before this so I am aware of the pick up pipe issues.

1 hour later RAC came out and what a joke, they didn't want to know about the pick up pipe issue and they told me that they wouldn't tow my car unless they checked it out, i.e. turned it on and checked for fault lights etc... after much debating I didn't really have a choice.

luckily the light wasn't there anymore (I kindof expected it not too anyway after researching it on the internet, it seems like a intermitent problem)
Anyway the guy still refused to tow me because he couldn't find a fault so I had no choice but to drive 10miles or so to my indy.

Again luckily no light reappeared during the drive. My indy was aware of the problem and replaced the pickup pipe and everything seems to be fine now, no oil light and he said it was blocked with the crap.

Will my engine be fine from the fact the light came on initially? (for like 30secs)

Just a little worried.
The the car drives fine, no issues at all.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yellow oil light is oil level low top up as soon as possible.

Red light means no oil pressure STOP THE CAR.

I've drove mine for half my journey to work (~10mins) before with the Yellow oil light on. It will be fine.

Yep, don't sweat over the yellow light. It's quite conservative, I did many miles with the yellow light on in my oil guzzling s3.

Very common on DI engines to consume a little oil just keep an eye on the level.