Flashing ESP light

_Zerocool_

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but is there a way of turning the ESP off on an 8p S3 (10) without the damn light on the dash constantly flashing? Cheers

When is turned off the light should stay on, not to flash. It flashes only when the ESP is on and is making corrections.
You can't turn off the ESP and the light.

When is turned off the light should stay on, not to flash. It flashes only when the ESP is on and is making corrections.
different on newer models

Well when I hold down the ESP button it says 'ESP off' then the ESP light flashes constantly. Bit of a distraction...

Well when I hold down the ESP button it says 'ESP off' then the ESP light flashes constantly. Bit of a distraction...

Should just be a steady orange light of a car skidding with 'off' underneath it. No flashing.

Flashing usually only occurs when the system is active, whilst trying to maintain grip (ie driving like a loon)

Reactions: CSS3
Well the 'ESP OFF' light in the centre display is just on but the icon of the car skidding just below the 4 and 5 on the rev limiter display constantly flashes. Its a bit of a pain because I prefer the cars handling with it off. So does this not happen in other peoples S3s?
If this is normal then fair enough. I don't think its a fault as everything seems ok with the handling, power delivery, 4x4 grip etc...
Would it be an option in the VCDS? Maybe I could change the setting there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If ESP off, the light should remain constantly on, not flash.

Must be a glitch in it somewhere, get him scanned.

Will do. until then I'll drive around with my eyes closed. I won't see the flashing light then!

Ok finally got round to having the car scanned by VCDS.
It did show a fault,
1 fault found
00448 - Haldex clutch pump (v181)
0011 open circuit - Intermittent
It only showed this occurring once two weeks ago when I got the car remapped.

No other faults and the ESP still flashes when off.

New clutch pump needed? I've not noticed any difference with the 4wd

I'm going to go back in a week and see if the fault shows up again.

mine flashes swell but its a 1.8tfsi , works as normally but just flashes constantly when turned off.

You could on the 8L by changing the adaption code in VCDS so you probably can on the 8P it's just a case of someone finding out the code.

The first thing I used to do when starting my S3 was turn off the ESP so this meant it was always of without needin to press any buttons or have the yellow light.

On the 8P3 ESP will automatically reactivate under certain conditions... sure I read it in the owners handbook.

Hows the Tracking on that car, OP? Had any meetings with kerbs or potholes whilst you were driving in your preferred manner? Ever had it tracked?

I once had a car throw an ESP hissy fit after someone side swiped me on the M1! Laser Tracking sorted it.

Edit: From my 2009Owner's Manual, Page 151 (Intelligent Technology) Column 2, Paragraph 3:

The ASR is also deactivated when the ESP is switched off, however the ESP is reactivated while the vehicle is under braking, and remains active until the vehicle has reached a stable driving condition.
...meaning, if you slam on the anchors, then immediately chuck it into a corner you can expect the ESP to have something to say on the matter. :)

You'd probably do well to read both pages of the section (if you haven't already), it's very informative.

Last edited:
Cheers for the posts. I've never hit a kerb or pothole but I might get the tracking looked at if that's a possibility.

Makes sense that the car will keep an eye on things and turn it back on if things get a bit hairy.

If anyone knows how to turn off the light using the VCDS that would be awesome! I'm hooking it up later on in the week to change the locks so that all the doors and boot open with one click anyway.

Cheers

Was just reading through the manual today. P135 says the indicator lamp will flash when the esp is off. That cleared that up...