AH FabricationsChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

Flashing ESP light

This may be a dumb question but is there a way of turning the ESP off on an 8p S3 (10) without the damn light on the dash constantly flashing? Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

6+1 Gears

Status
    When is turned off the light should stay on, not to flash. It flashes only when the ESP is on and is making corrections.
    You can't turn off the ESP and the light.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    When is turned off the light should stay on, not to flash. It flashes only when the ESP is on and is making corrections.
    different on newer models
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

6+1 Gears

Status
    Hmmm... How?
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

1st Gear

Status
    Well when I hold down the ESP button it says 'ESP off' then the ESP light flashes constantly. Bit of a distraction...

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by _Zerocool_ View Post
    Well when I hold down the ESP button it says 'ESP off' then the ESP light flashes constantly. Bit of a distraction...
    Should just be a steady orange light of a car skidding with 'off' underneath it. No flashing.

Flashing usually only occurs when the system is active, whilst trying to maintain grip (ie driving like a loon)
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

1st Gear

Status
    Well the 'ESP OFF' light in the centre display is just on but the icon of the car skidding just below the 4 and 5 on the rev limiter display constantly flashes. Its a bit of a pain because I prefer the cars handling with it off. So does this not happen in other peoples S3s?
    If this is normal then fair enough. I don't think its a fault as everything seems ok with the handling, power delivery, 4x4 grip etc...
    Would it be an option in the VCDS? Maybe I could change the setting there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    If ESP off, the light should remain constantly on, not flash.

Must be a glitch in it somewhere, get him scanned.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

1st Gear

Status
    Will do. until then I'll drive around with my eyes closed. I won't see the flashing light then!

1st Gear

Status
    Ok finally got round to having the car scanned by VCDS.
    It did show a fault,
    1 fault found
    00448 - Haldex clutch pump (v181)
    0011 open circuit - Intermittent
    It only showed this occurring once two weeks ago when I got the car remapped.

No other faults and the ESP still flashes when off.

New clutch pump needed? I've not noticed any difference with the 4wd

I'm going to go back in a week and see if the fault shows up again.

1st Gear

Status
    mine flashes swell but its a 1.8tfsi , works as normally but just flashes constantly when turned off.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    You could on the 8L by changing the adaption code in VCDS so you probably can on the 8P it's just a case of someone finding out the code.

The first thing I used to do when starting my S3 was turn off the ESP so this meant it was always of without needin to press any buttons or have the yellow light.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Short Back

Status
    On the 8P3 ESP will automatically reactivate under certain conditions... sure I read it in the owners handbook.

Hows the Tracking on that car, OP? Had any meetings with kerbs or potholes whilst you were driving in your preferred manner? Ever had it tracked?

I once had a car throw an ESP hissy fit after someone side swiped me on the M1! Laser Tracking sorted it.

Edit: From my 2009Owner's Manual, Page 151 (Intelligent Technology) Column 2, Paragraph 3:

The ASR is also deactivated when the ESP is switched off, however the ESP is reactivated while the vehicle is under braking, and remains active until the vehicle has reached a stable driving condition.
    ...meaning, if you slam on the anchors, then immediately chuck it into a corner you can expect the ESP to have something to say on the matter.

You'd probably do well to read both pages of the section (if you haven't already), it's very informative.
    Last edited by Artimus; 25th March 2014 at 15:28.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers for the posts. I've never hit a kerb or pothole but I might get the tracking looked at if that's a possibility.

Makes sense that the car will keep an eye on things and turn it back on if things get a bit hairy.

If anyone knows how to turn off the light using the VCDS that would be awesome! I'm hooking it up later on in the week to change the locks so that all the doors and boot open with one click anyway.

Cheers