Solar top-up for battery

Helifella

Co-Driver ~ Hattie
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have any of you used a solar panel to keep your battery in good condition whilst it's not being driven?

I have a 12W 17.5V panel suitable for 12v applications available which can connect either via the ciggy socket or directly onto the terminals. It also has a diode to prevent battery discharge during the night.

The question I have is whether the car will allow the solar panel to push the power into the battery via the ciggy socket (always live, not ignition switched) being such a complex car?

If I connect directly to the battery I would need to lift the bonnet, disconnect etc before each drive, whereas via the ciggy socket I can jump in and unplug it prior to starting up and go.

By using a solar panel it should also keep my battery voltage above the cut-off threshold of my camera system thus allowing the camera to stay in parking mode for extended periods ie when I leave the car parked up while working away.

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't. The panel won't even come close to the fuse's max rating. You should be fine.