EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    Flying low level

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Helifella On Twitter

Solar top-up for battery

Hi all,

Have any of you used a solar panel to keep your battery in good condition whilst it's not being driven?

I have a 12W 17.5V panel suitable for 12v applications available which can connect either via the ciggy socket or directly onto the terminals. It also has a diode to prevent battery discharge during the night.

The question I have is whether the car will allow the solar panel to push the power into the battery via the ciggy socket (always live, not ignition switched) being such a complex car?

If I connect directly to the battery I would need to lift the bonnet, disconnect etc before each drive, whereas via the ciggy socket I can jump in and unplug it prior to starting up and go.

By using a solar panel it should also keep my battery voltage above the cut-off threshold of my camera system thus allowing the camera to stay in parking mode for extended periods ie when I leave the car parked up while working away.
    RegardsHeliFellaVCDS newbie.8V now ordered...I.A.M. Member http://www.iam.org.uk/about-us/ '61 spec, A3 Sportback S-Line Black Edition in Ibis White, EM Tuning upgraded LED extended interior XL lightpack,Duxback Glass Treatment, Diamond Vision front fog lights, shortened number plates, gloss black rear rings & black edition S-line wing badges. Blackvue DR550GW 2 channel in-car camera with Smart Power battery protection.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't. The panel won't even come close to the fuse's max rating. You should be fine.