New tyres need all round. What do you guys recommend?

me77or

Reaction score
Well, the front two tyres on the S3 are almost down to their wear bars (and the backs aren't too far off) so it looks like it is time to bite the bullet and get a set of new boots all round.

It's currently running on Kumho 225/40 ZR18 92Y on standard wheels.

What tyres do you recommend I replace the Kumho set with? There are plenty of options on blackcircles.com but I'd like to know what you guys swear by.

Cheers

Nick

I've had bridgeston potenzas and contisport contact 5's on my s3 and both are very good... hard to tell the difference

Sessanta's are great for winter, amazing grip & recently saved my bacon in rivers across the M6, M5, M42 & M40, although finding them now maybe an issue as they've been replaced by Vorti's.

Reactions: RPB
+1 for Good Year F1 Eagle Asy 2.

Had 4 put on about 6 weeks ago and they feel very good now I've inflated them upto Audi pressures. Highly recommended and not too expensive at £456 all in!

Im running Conti sport 5's but thinking of going for Eagle Asy 2's since they dont wear as quick when i need to change, been hearing some good things about avon zz3's too about £100 a corner from ATS at the moment....

What he said, F1 Assy 2's are an outstanding tyre. Oustanding grip in all conditions, amazing in the dry, unbelievable in the wet, low noise, if you get the XL's they have a nice stiff sidewall too, wear is amazing, I had them on my 300bhp Hawkeye Scooby, put 8k on them on the road and two track days at Knockhill and they still had 4mm all round when I sold the car last month. I'll be fitting 4 as soon as I wear these Conti Sport Contact 2's that are on just now.

I've tried a LOT of tyres over the last few years. The only tyres I would say were as good all round as the Assy 2's are Michelin PS2 (not 3!) but they're harder to find and more expensive.

Vredestein Sessanta Ultrac are a good tyre for the money too, excel in the wet, good in the dry but dont wear as well as either of the above and I found the grip really went off at under 3mm.

Sessanta's are great for winter, amazing grip & recently saved my bacon in rivers across the M6, M5, M42 & M40, although finding them now maybe an issue as they've been replaced by Vorti's.

Are you for real? It's a high performance summer tyre, yes their good in the wet but they're fapping hopeless in below 3 degree wet and snow. I've yet to run a summer tyre in winter conditions that I could honestly say was anything above average, some are better than others but to call them "great for winter" ... erm...

Best advice I can (and do) give anyone is to invest in a proper good set of M&S tyres then come back and tell me again how great the above were. I highly recommend the Continental Winter Contact TS810p, not cheap but doing average mileage and not driving like a loon you can get a good 3-4 seasons out of a set so it's money well spent. Vred Wintrac Extreme are not bad either but I prefer the Conti's.

Managed over 20k miles on my last set of Michelin PS2's (porsche N3 rated). Just fitted a set of Michelin super sports.

Managed over 20k miles on my last set of Michelin PS2's (porsche N3 rated). Just fitted a set of Michelin super sports.

Loved the PS2's myself but had trouble sourcing more last year, pretty sure they're discontinued now.

Or maybe Supersports have replaced the PS2? If so are they as good as I found the PS3's a real step backwards compared to the PS2, was very disappointed with the PS3's.

I do rate the Eagle F1 Assy 2's though, especially at £102 a corner at Camskill right now!

+1 for Dunlop Sportmaxx RT.
Great tyre for the money, quiet,fantastic in the wet :)

Just ordered 4x Dunlop winter sport 4D 225/40 R18 XLs for mine. £148 a corner.

I just bought for mine 4 Nokian W+ 225/45/17. 100€ each. I hope they`ll be ok.
For summer I think I`ll go for Good Year Asymmetric 2, but this will have to wait until next spring.

I just bought for mine 4 Nokian W+ 225/45/17. 100€ each. I hope they`ll be ok.
For summer I think I`ll go for Good Year Asymmetric 2, but this will have to wait until next spring.

Nokians are great tyres mate, you won't be disappointed.

Actually , they are easy to find. Just had a pair fitted to the front of mine at £130 a corner fitted locally via blackcircles.

Reactions: NHN
Cool, seems bit high priced as I paid £100 a corner, but still, you'll love those tyres matey :)

I have never found a better tyre than the Good Years to be honest and there appears to be some killer deals around, £105 a corner, bargain. I will be fitting a set on my car as soon as I've worn the conti's.

Mark

+1 for the Goodyear Asym' 2, not long had these on my Audi too.
+1 for the Vredestein Sessantas also. Had these on my Subaru for years, loved em.

Thanks for all the info folks. It seems the Goodyears come highly recommended and so I've put a call into my local, usual tyre fitters. They can get the F1 Asy 2 in for £102 + VAT which I am happy with. So they'll be on the S3 by mid November.

Shame someone drove into my passenger side door some time this weekend though. I think the credit card is going to take a hammering this month. :banghead:

Thanks for all the info folks. It seems the Goodyears come highly recommended and so I've put a call into my local, usual tyre fitters. They can get the F1 Asy 2 in for £102 + VAT which I am happy with. So they'll be on the S3 by mid November.

Shame someone drove into my passenger side door some time this weekend though. I think the credit card is going to take a hammering this month. :banghead:

had a set on my S3, they were awesome. Good luck.