AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow DA55TER On Twitter

excessive air? head issue?

OK....so I posted about the loss of water my 55 plate 2.0tdi. I've had the water pump replaced, the cambelt done, a new expansion bottle and thermostat fitted.... now the weird thing before you say "its the head" the water level is perfect, the car heats up after a journey, and the low coolant lght comes on. I stop the car at home relieve the pressure. Wait until the car has cooled down completely, and open the expansion bottle again. The water level returns to on the Max mark.... so its not
    Losing water, its gaining air, which in turn forces all the water out the bottle.
    Is that a head issue? I dont want to spend money on the head, only to have the issue return....

Please help. Supposed to be driving to France for the winter in the car.
    Oh... and the last digit on the head number is C.

Cheers
    Last edited by DA55TER; 30th October 2013 at 19:55.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Get the coolant system pressure tested mate.
    A3 2.0TDI S LINE, Awesome remapped, ITG, Milltek, S3 Front + Rear bumpers + Sideskirts, Cruise and slammed on coilovers. NO SMOKE - NO POKE!!!!!

3rd Gear

Status
    Cooling systems are pressurised as water boils at a higher temperature when pressurised so it could be normal.

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
    Cooling systems are pressurised as water boils at a higher temperature when pressurised so it could be normal.
    Pressurized to the point of forcing all the coolant out of the expansion bottle? I'll try to link a video of what happens.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DA55TER View Post
    Pressurized to the point of forcing all the coolant out of the expansion bottle? I'll try to link a video of what happens.
    Missed that bit take it you have no air locks ,blockages ,good flow and the thermostat is good.

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Yeah. Had the system flushed when I had the water pump done. New coolant etc. What would cause a blockage?

1st Gear

Status
    I have a similar issue on my 06 tdi but I carefully release pressure while it's hot and add 500 ml to 1 ltd about once every 6 weeks will be interesting to see if you find any issues....

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_tdi View Post
    I have a similar issue on my 06 tdi but I carefully release pressure while it's hot and add 500 ml to 1 ltd about once every 6 weeks will be interesting to see if you find any issues....
    Well the part that baffles me, is the fact that the head on my car is a "C" serial number. Which according to another thread. Is an 06 head... mines an 05 car. So my thought is the head has been replaced alread?

A guy I work with is a marine engineer. He said airlock. A few people have said airlock. So im gonna run the car with the cap off, and see what happens when the thermostat opens. Whats the serial number on yours Jack?

6th Gear

Status
    My 1.9TDi had the same problem, car would drive fine start and if left to idle it would get up to temperature and have no excess pressure in the coolant system. However once I started to drive the car the pressure would start to build up and the faster I drove the worse the pressure was. The fault was the head gasket, the coolant pipes are expanding due to the pressure and that is where your water is going, the other thing could lead to is a premature failure of the hoses, radiator & heater matrix which is a bugger of a job. I would get this looked at ASAP as it could end up costing your more money in the long run.

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    My 1.9TDi had the same problem, car would drive fine start and if left to idle it would get up to temperature and have no excess pressure in the coolant system. However once I started to drive the car the pressure would start to build up and the faster I drove the worse the pressure was. The fault was the head gasket, the coolant pipes are expanding due to the pressure and that is where your water is going, the other thing could lead to is a premature failure of the hoses, radiator & heater matrix which is a bugger of a job. I would get this looked at ASAP as it could end up costing your more money in the long run.
    Got it booked in for Monday. Gonna pull the head and have a look. More than likely, whoever fitted the new head, was a twat, and did a shoddy job of it. Fingers crossed.

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Video of my expansion bottle at full operating temp.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbo9...e_gdata_player
    So when the bottle is closed, that air builds up and forces all the coolant out. Could that pipe be blocked?
    Last edited by DA55TER; 2nd November 2013 at 11:37. Reason: adding info

6th Gear

Status
    No, something is forcing air into the coolant system. A blocked pipe would not allow air into the coolant system, it would most likely cause the car to over heat, as the coolant could not flow around the system correctly.

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

I hope to hell its the head. I'll be properly miffed if I spend money having it done, and it does the same thing....

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_tdi View Post
    bad move, another member of this forum got some serious burns doing that!
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DA55TER View Post
    Well the part that baffles me, is the fact that the head on my car is a "C" serial number. Which according to another thread. Is an 06 head... mines an 05 car. So my thought is the head has been replaced alread?

A guy I work with is a marine engineer. He said airlock. A few people have said airlock. So im gonna run the car with the cap off, and see what happens when the thermostat opens. Whats the serial number on yours Jack?
    Mine is a revision c too

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    bad move, another member of this forum got some serious burns doing that!
    I'm well aware of the danger of burning myself.....

But iv done this over ten times with this car and hundreds of times on an old rover I had with a k series engine in if you release pressure slowly it won't explode all over you.... Just got to think about it