Alarm going off in heavy rain

H17YD L

Reaction score
Does anybody else's alarm go off in heavy rain??

Had this a few times now in the last week, it has to be really heavy and we have had a fair bit of late? If un-lock and re-lock it's fine until the next downpour and the same again.

If I double press the lock button when locking it doesn't go off, I'm sure this turns off the interior sensors so it seems they may be the problem, I can turn the sensitivity down on VCDS but don't really want to in case if it doesn't work for a real problem/ theft.

I always though double pressing the lock button completely disabled the alarm?

When I had my 8P it never went off once even in the worst weather

It might well do that. I just remember reading that it turned the sensors off just like pressing the button on the door to de-activate them

Is this true, double clicking turns the alarm off?

Audi's deadlock and alarm with a single press. Double pressing disables the alarm. It's in the manual.

It's a confusing feature if you come from a vauxhall or other makes as they deadlock with a double press. Audi have to be different

I always double press - if this is the case I better stop doing that!!!

Seems a strange 1 to me.. I've had an audi the past 5yrs and always double clicked... Manual will be read when I get in from work

I read it in my 8P manual. I thought it was strange too but that's what I read.

I've got a B8 now so will look in that manual when home from work

I read it in my 8P manual. I thought it was strange too but that's what I read.

I've got a B8 now so will look in that manual when home from work

Mine did this when it was bucketing it down I just re locked the car from the house both times then I realised the sunroof was open hours later doh !

Trauled my manual tonight and there is absolutely nothing referenced to single clicking and double clicking at all!

Nope, nothing in mine. But I've learnt about it from forums, it used to work on my Skoda an now the Audi, don't know if the double press actually turns the whole alarm of like mentioned above or just the sensors as I thought. Need to test it at the weekend!

Nope, nothing in mine. But I've learnt about it from forums, it used to work on my Skoda an now the Audi, don't know if the double press actually turns the whole alarm of like mentioned above or just the sensors as I thought. Need to test it at the weekend!

Will be keen to know the results as I often double click just to be sure! :uhm:

All it says is that when the cars deadlocked you can operate the door handles or windows from the inside...

i tried I with single click and double click in the car and it disabled the handles on both!? So I dunno

To bump the thread, here's a bit of info:

1 press of the lock button on the fob: locks, deadlocks and turns internal sensors and inclinations sensor on. (Fully secured)

2 presses of the lock button on the fob: locks the car, does not deadlock and turns the internal sensors OFF. If you open the door from the inside the alarm will go off!
(Not sure about inclination as I wasn't getting the jack out to check lol)

Hope this helps a few people out who wanted to know!

Still having problems with the alarm going off in heavy rain or hail but I have adjusted the sensitivity of the sensors. I'll see how it goes.

To bump the thread, here's a bit of info:

1 press of the lock button on the fob: locks, deadlocks and turns internal sensors and inclinations sensor on. (Fully secured)

2 presses of the lock button on the fob: locks the car, does not deadlock and turns the internal sensors OFF. If you open the door from the inside the alarm will go off!
(Not sure about inclination as I wasn't getting the jack out to check lol)

Hope this helps a few people out who wanted to know!

Still having problems with the alarm going off in heavy rain or hail but I have adjusted the sensitivity of the sensors. I'll see how it goes.
Does your 2010 have the buttons on the drivers door to disable interior & tilt sensors? as #2 seems to somewhat replicate what those buttons do on my 2009 model.

Right, these are from my Sportback Owners Manual, Printed Nov. 08 ...my car is an 09 plate.

A3 Alarm Setting

A3 Alarm Buttons

It says Dead Locking happens when the car is locked from the outside & nothing about double-clicking to deactivate any sensors! The second image shows the buttons on the door & their purpose.

Last edited:
Yep, mine has the 2 buttons on the door, and there is no mention in my manual either. I have tried it all tonight while adjusting the sensitivity of the sensors, as I mentioned before its something I've known about for a few years and still works on mine.

So it's raining outside and my alarm has just started going off *** don't they have rain in Germany?

Mine was set off this morning by hail stones. Was the only car in the car in the car park with an alarm going off lol

Reactions: nezz
Yes!! It's not just me lol!!
Mine went off in work today in the hail, again the only one in the carpark!

Reactions: nezz
Yes!! It's not just me lol!!
Mine went off in work today in the hail, again the only one in the carpark!

Same here its a first i'm sure the wind was not the usual, well good to know the alarm works.

Last edited:
Reactions: S3 Ste
With everyone's double glazing I doubt the alarm can be heard as it's shockingly quiet!

Change the siren style then ! Think theirs uk Germany and rest of world not tried them on this car to be honest

The only thing I could find about the siren type was something along the lines of 1 siren 10 tamper alarms and that's what it was set on. Another one was 1 siren 1 tamper alarm so I thought leave it alone ;)

Bit of a thread revival !!

Car alarm is going off in the rain / hail , up here in Shetland it is pretty heavy , but this is the first car that has done this. Is it normal , or is there a fault somewhere I should be looking for ?

Not 100% that I used the rear wash , but think I probably did ...

If you have a leaking rear wiper motor or its blocked, it will let the water through the motor and onto the electrical points of the boot lock and trigger the alarm. Common problem.

Yeah that's common but if it only happens in very heavy rain/hail the ultrasonics in the interior light sense it which triggers the alarm.

It only happens in very heavy rain/hail , but has happened a few times , what do I need to look for in the boot to diagnose the leak ? The times it has happened it has been gale force winds accompanied with heavy showers . It has been OK in pishing rain ...

Usually if your rear washer works with good pressure it's not that.
If you use your rear washer and open the tailgate afterwards you see water finding its way out of the bootlid.
When the tailgate lock gets wet enough to trigger the alarm it happens pretty often.

Reactions: audismart