Car in for a Service....

A3Kent

Reaction score
Hi guys

My 2009 2.0 TDI 170 with 55K is in at a main Dealer where I got the car from and have used to service my car before, they've been pretty good so I keep going back.

I just want to check a couple of prices.

Now this first problem I beleive they fixed an EGR valve issue under warranty last year but I don't have the paperwork with me at the moment. They say the EGR valve has an oil leak and they want to put a new one in for £325 inc VAT

They also say the drivers side rear road spring is broken! Didn't even notice myself! They want £180 inc VAT to fix that.

I need to check the EGR thing as I am convinced it has been replaced or looked at before under warranty only last year but what are your thoughts on these 2 prices?

Thanks

I'm sure u get a 2 year warranty with any Audi parts m8.
They should have a record of it against ur car :)
Sounds ok to me about the spring because I'm not mechanically minded to change one myself.
Think they charge 110 quid an hour so the spring won't cost that much itself if u fancy DIY :)

Reactions: A3Kent
That was my thoughts about the warranty but they say they have no record of it, which makes me doubt it was the EGR valve! I have something at home or in the car that I signed to say the work had been carried out so need to find that.

Not too concerned about them replacing the spring if it's reasonably priced, I def won't be doing it!

Cheers

Not too sure about the EGR valve but the spring could be donee at a fraction of that price if you did it yourself. Not a difficult job either.

Pretty much just jacking the car up, stick it on stands, compress the rear spring with a jack, one bolt to undo, remove spring, put the new one in, jack it back up under the new spring, refit bolt, lower car, job done.

It was the EGR coolant pump that was replaced under warranty. What relation would this have do you think, any at all?

They also say the drivers side rear road spring is broken! Didn't even notice myself! They want £180 inc VAT to fix that.

Thanks

Is that for just the 1 spring I'm assuming?

I would be very tempted to get them both changed tbh....if one has failed, it is likely that the other is in similar condition and so could easily fail soon also.

As said above- All audi work should be guaranteed for at least a minimum of 1 year.

Is that for just the 1 spring I'm assuming?

I would be very tempted to get them both changed tbh....if one has failed, it is likely that the other is in similar condition and so could easily fail soon also.

As said above- All audi work should be guaranteed for at least a minimum of 1 year.

Yeah, 1 spring. Not keen on paying £180 for one let alone paying for 2!

As I say the EGR Coolant pump was replaced under warranty in August 2012. Would this have an impact on the EGR valve?

OK, well I've just got a second opinion and they say the EGR valve and EGR Coolant Pump would not be related in anyway so as they've reported it as only Amber on the Visual Health Check form I'm going to leave it until I can get someone else to have a look at it. For that mileage it shouldn't need replacing. The spring I am getting done as it's broken and don't like the idea of driving around on a broken spring.

Appreciate your thoughts and advice guys, thanks

OK, well I've just got a second opinion and they say the EGR valve and EGR Coolant Pump would not be related in anyway so as they've reported it as only Amber on the Visual Health Check form I'm going to leave it until I can get someone else to have a look at it. For that mileage it shouldn't need replacing. The spring I am getting done as it's broken and don't like the idea of driving around on a broken spring.

Appreciate your thoughts and advice guys, thanks
Id get the spring done at an indy garage, paid about £60 to have one supplied and fitted on my GF's car, was only an astra but still the principle is the same. £180 is a joke to fit a £36 spring....

Sachs Audi | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

Trouble is that's it's an S-Line spring. Euro car parts want £50 for one so to save me the hassle of ordering it and then re-booking the car in someone where else to have it fitted i'm happy (ish) with £180. Jobs done then, can forget about it.

Is it snapped though, visual check or image of this would be good to help you decide & tbh I would consider a whole kit replacement for £180 plus maybe fitting, like Eibach Pro's or the like, DPM is good for these.

EGR oil leak wont be helped by replacing the egr IMHO, as afaik it doesn't interact with oil for lubrication as its vacuum based valve/piston, except for the breather system, which would chuck oil into the intake system & thus oil would end up coming out around the seals which is perfectly normal, as we know oil in the boost pipes is, unless you fit a catch can.

Personally I would clean the egr out myself, check vcds for any egr errors, if none & no running issues, then just leave as is.

For the record, any work/parts done within manufacturers warranty doesn't naturally get the 2 years extra cover, only goes up to the main warranty period, its non warranted repairs that is covered by a new 2 year warranty.

You know me Nigel, i'm an OEM man all the way through so wouldn't want to change the springs for anything other than OEM :)

Agree with the EGR thing though. I'm going to see if I can have a look at it myself or if I can't i'll find someone who will give it the once over. There certainly weren't any errors when I hooked it up to VCDS last night before it's service and economy is the same as it's always been so i'm relatively happy.

Thanks for your input mate.

For the record, any work/parts done within manufacturers warranty doesn't naturally get the 2 years extra cover, only goes up to the main warranty period, its non warranted repairs that is covered by a new 2 year warranty.

Cheers for clarifying that :)

Definitely worth thinking about changing the back 2 at the same time or the 4 if u can stretch to that :)