Central locking problem

Djwoody

Reaction score
Hi.
Had a problem which occured a couple of times last night.
When opening the car, the passenger door was not unlocking. I had to open the door from inside.
Normally all doors open as this has been set from my DIS.

Can anyone advise what it might be?

Chris

Check that doors hinge rubber boot for any frayed wiring 1st.

I just had this and had to replace the door lock mechanism itself. £120 plus fitting but if you good with a screwdriver it only takes 20 mins and I sourced a second hand lock for £25 from ebob!!!

Thanks for both your replies.
I have checked the rubber door hinge and that seems to be fine.
It's temperamental and doesn’t do it all the time so think I'll just wait and see if it becomes any more problematic.
Found a few on the auction site, think the part number is 4E2837015 for the 3-door passenger side.

Can you remember what your part number was Walto?

My passenger door is the same bit sure what it is, I'll have to take it to my mechanic to look it over!

I have found a few on eBay. Some looks different to others, even though they are the same part number.
For example, one has two rods coming out of it.
If I get one without the rods can i use my existing ones.
Here are the two I have seen:
http://bit.ly/HrNx2x
http://bit.ly/1aC5uGM

Hi what year is your car? Neither of the 2 you have shown looked like the one I have just changed. Mine was a white plastic moulding not black, I think black may be the earlier model version. I have my old one in the garage do you want me to go and get the part number for you? My car is a 3 door 07 plate.

My passenger door is the same bit sure what it is, I'll have to take it to my mechanic to look it over!

s3's are like this bully... Asked my mate and his was the same, he said he got it fixed with a simple bit of coding... Is your boot quite hard to get open aswell?

Hi what year is your car? Neither of the 2 you have shown looked like the one I have just changed. Mine was a white plastic moulding not black, I think black may be the earlier model version. I have my old one in the garage do you want me to go and get the part number for you? My car is a 3 door 07 plate.

If you could mate, that would be ideal.
Mine is a 2008 3 door so will be the same as yours I reckon

cheers

I will pop outside once I'm up and about and get you the part number. It's easy enough to do yourself, the garage wanted to charge 1-2 hours labour!!! It only took me 20 mins!!! You just need a couple of Torx screwdrivers and some balls when you pull at your door card to get the clips to pop away from the door. Once it's all free just lift the door card up of the seat ( it sits over a lip on the window) but be careful as you have your speaker wiring and door handle pull cable attached. Unclip the speaker cable from the window reg and unclip the door handle cable then the door card will be free. Now look towards the lock side of the door and you will see where the door pull cable comes through a grommet on a plastic cover. Remove this cover carefully by unclipping the clips all the way around. You should then be able to see inside the door skin.
i think it's a M12 spline socket that you need to undo the 2 bolts that hold the lock in place. Once they are out you can carefully unclipping the actuating arm from the door handle. The lock will now be free. If you take a good look at the lock at this point you will notice that you can easily unclip the actuating arm from the lock mechanism and use it againif your replacement lock doesn't come with one.
i found it easier to insert the actuating arm into the door handle first before installing the new lock. Leave the clip open of the lock so that when you bolt the lock mechanism to the door skin the actuator arm will clip into the lock easily. ( it's too difficult to assemble actuating arm to lock and en try to clip it into the door handle)
then once fitted and checked it all functions correctly install the door card wiring and door handle cable in the reverse way of dismantling.

I will pop outside once I'm up and about and get you the part number. It's easy enough to do yourself, the garage wanted to charge 1-2 hours labour!!! It only took me 20 mins!!! You just need a couple of Torx screwdrivers and some balls when you pull at your door card to get the clips to pop away from the door. Once it's all free just lift the door card up of the seat ( it sits over a lip on the window) but be careful as you have your speaker wiring and door handle pull cable attached. Unclip the speaker cable from the window reg and unclip the door handle cable then the door card will be free. Now look towards the lock side of the door and you will see where the door pull cable comes through a grommet on a plastic cover. Remove this cover carefully by unclipping the clips all the way around. You should then be able to see inside the door skin.
i think it's a M12 spline socket that you need to undo the 2 bolts that hold the lock in place. Once they are out you can carefully unclipping the actuating arm from the door handle. The lock will now be free. If you take a good look at the lock at this point you will notice that you can easily unclip the actuating arm from the lock mechanism and use it againif your replacement lock doesn't come with one.
i found it easier to insert the actuating arm into the door handle first before installing the new lock. Leave the clip open of the lock so that when you bolt the lock mechanism to the door skin the actuator arm will clip into the lock easily. ( it's too difficult to assemble actuating arm to lock and en try to clip it into the door handle)
then once fitted and checked it all functions correctly install the door card wiring and door handle cable in the reverse way of dismantling.

Sounds like I'll be able to give this a go. Might just be a case of seeing if the actuator arm has come off, I'll soon see when I get the door card off.
Let me know when you have the part number, no rush.
Much appreciated.

Chris

With respect, 20 minutes is very optimistic to remove all & fit new, test & refit all parts, I know as I've done it untold times myself.

For the record, there are as above 2 lock types, the older one has a metal clasp that grips the thread on the rod from the handle, whereas the newer version has a yellow plastic fold over fixing for the metal rod to attach too via a compression fitting, be careful not to get the wrong type as you will have to buy new metal rod to fit & another part I cant recall right now, possibly door handle part.

Hi the part number from my lock was 4f2 937 015. To confirm NHN this has the yellow lock over clasp for the handle actuator rod.
hope this helps