Please help!....over rev problems after re-map on 2006 s-line 2.0L tdi 170

Chiefnutter

Reaction score
Wondered (kinda praying really!) if someone could help shed some light on this ?
The car is a 2006 2.0l tdi 170 BMN

About 2 months ago & after having no end of issues with the DPF the car was taken to AMD in essex to have a DPF delete & stage 1 re map performed.
On the drive home the car obviously felt very different, but a couple of issue that were noticed was i couldnt get a smooth gear change like i had before & an increase in revs whilst changing gear when the car was driven slightly harder (like over taking).....when driving around town everything was fine & the revs dropped as soon as the pedal was pressed...& it only happened when changing gear at around 3k... & the higher the revs when changing gear the more the slight increase in revs when the clutch pedal was pressed.....there was never any issue with the clutch & it always engaged as it should about half way through the pedal travel.
When I collected the car they said that it would have to get used to new settings so it was ignored for about a week, but the problem never went away!...Thinking the problem could be me...or perhaps a problem with the clutch... I asked a couple of knowledgeable friends to have a drive just to make sure it wasnt me being a muppet & doing something silly like leaving my foot on the accelerator pedal or something like that (1 works at Audi & the other works for Pro-drive) They both said the same thing..."something isn't right with the re-map...take it back"
I phoned AMD who said it was more than likely the car still getting used to its new settings or the clutch switch (as we all know the clucth switch is a common problem on most audi's), So i checked the switch using VCDS but couldn't find any fault with it....worried that this over rev could cause early failure of the clutch & wanting the problem cured, I phoned AMD & they said to bring it back & it was booked in for a saturday, but due to the other half having stomach pains & a visit to the hospital on the friday night before (shes expecting a little one in a few months) Unfortunately i couldn't make the appointment so the car was re-booked in about 2 weeks later..(now approx 1 month after the map).... because i don't live very close to AMD I decided to book the day off work & took the car back to AMD to get the issue looked at.
About 3/4 hour after the car was taken in by a tech they came upstairs & told me it was the clutch switch (brilliant i thought...problem solved)...so obviously i said change it... & a new switch was ordered from TPS....2 1/2hrs later (they arent quick these TPS guys!..lol) A new switch arrived........1/2 hour later the guy from AMD comes upstairs again & says.."its not the clutch switch as it still does it with the new one fitted!"..:-( ******!
So they decided to remove the map & put the ECU back to its original settings & a tech drove the car up the road, on his return the tech said that it was still there but not as noticeable??...something which slightly confused me as ive owned the car for nearly a year before the map & have never noticed any such problems with over rev when changing gear...im not a new driver either having owned & driven a multitude of different vehicles over the 20+ years ive had my licence! so Im kinda hoping i have enough experience to notice something like this....also bearing in mind i wouldnt have purchased the car in the first place if it had this problem & i certainly wouldnt have booked it in to have a re-map with the fault already there !....because that would just be stupid!
To cut a long story short...after putting the stage 1 map back on & sending me on my merry way....they dont know what it is!?... & when they were looking around the engine the only fault they could find was a slight oil leak from the actuator on the inlet manifold, but they did say that this wouldnt cause this problem...they also said it could possibly be a generic fault with this type of engine !! (wtf?)...which also confused me because if this were true then im sure there would be a stack of posts on this forum like this from other people that have had a re-map done & experienced this problem after.
Im at a point now where i wish I'd just either left the car as is or perhaps bit the bullet & bought a new DPF filter & never had it mapped!
AMD are saying theres nothing wrong with the map theve put on the car & everyone i speak to about it thinks its a problem with the map...... & now after 2 months the problem is still there!
To add insult to injury on the drive home tonight it feels like the car hasnt been mapped at all...when i accelerate the car doesnt take off like it did after the map, but the revs do!...Im guessing this is the start of clutch slip & if this over rev has possibly caused this then im not a very happy puppy considering the car had a healthy clutch before the re-map !
If any of the knowledgeable people on this forum could shed some light on this problem it would be very much appreciated.

Its possible the clutch was already worn tbh mate & you didn't notice it before, now its had a remap its shown an obvious well known flaw in all 8P manuals.

If your account of AMD's involvement is completely full, then they could handle it better I'd say, but as we've only heard 1 side, its hard to really gauge the full picture.

How many miles has the car covered? If its high then as NHN has said it could well be the clutch was weak to begin with. TDI's produce a lot of torque and depending on how that torque is delivered and your driving style will determine the life span of the clutch

I would say that the map just made it easier to notice the failing component within the car.

I don't think you should be gutted as thats what happens when it gets mapped.

I had to put a new clutch in due to the map and trust me I was gutted as i thought it was because of the map, but after the new clutch and letting it bed in for couple of hundred miles my cars superb to drive and its been 1 year now and still going strong.

Reactions: NHN
Thanks for the quick replies......just to get 1 thing out there...Im not trying to blame AMD for the early clutch failure...i know this happens with alot of clutches because ive read so many posts on here about this happening after a re map....but when they say things like...."could be a generic fault with this type of engine"....& "the fault is there when the standard map is put back on"....(when i know it wasnt)....it starts ringing alarm bells in my ears.......If i replace the clutch & this problem is still there then where do i go ?

Sorry Rhyso.....forgot......the cars done 125K....Ive no idea if it has been replaced before in that time & i might phone stafford audi (where it has had all its service history) in the morning & see if they have any record of the clutch being changed.....at that mileage im guessing it would have....wouldnt it ?????

I did read a post on here about mapping & it said poor clutches will fail very quickly....but im sure my clutch was quite good.....perhaps this wasnt the case :-/

Sorry Rhyso.....forgot......the cars done 125K....Ive no idea if it has been replaced before in that time & i might phone stafford audi (where it has had all its service history) in the morning & see if they have any record of the clutch being changed.....at that mileage im guessing it would have....wouldnt it ?????

I did read a post on here about mapping & it said poor clutches will fail very quickly....but im sure my clutch was quite good.....perhaps this wasnt the case :-/

Depends on previous owners driving style too, but don't think a clutch would last much longer than 140k miles. Best bet would be to give them a ring, but chances are it hasn't had a clutch change, else you would know about it - selling point for a car!

At 125K its always a lottery when your map a car. Generally TDI clutches are strong and they last well past 100k if driven with sympathy. Ive mapped plenty with over 100k and they have been fine. The only time I've had a clutch slip post map was a 50k 1.8T Skoda Octavia vRS lol

my own car has covered 40,000 mapped miles (about to hit 70,000k overall) but thats because I know where the peak torque and power is so drive accordingly

standard clutch should be fine to go back in so dont think you need an uprated clutch unless you want to go for more power :)

Reactions: sliced
Just want to add this, I though I was mental, but I have the same f**king issue and get exactly what you mean.

Does your clutch seem to have different biting points (making the gear change seem lurchy)? Sometimes it can change gear really nicely and then other times it seems to "bite twice" and lurch.

To add, It's not got a revo map but it's got a custom remap and also had a new clutch and DMF in the last 3k miles.

Errrrm...no.....just the over rev when changing gear.....after buying the car & driving it daily it doesnt take long to get used to it & i could get a nice smooth gear change like most people would......but i couldnt straight after the map on the way home so i just put it down to the new map

Thanks for the input so far everyone.....will get a price on an LUK (unless anyone can recommend a better one?) clutch tomorrow & see about getting it fitted (hope it cures the over rev as well)

I would not expect a tuner not to be able to the tell the difference between clutch slip (an entirely mechanical issue) vs a potential software/sensor/switch problem.

I can't quite work out from the OP what is happening; when you engage a gear, say 4th, and release the clutch (foot completely off), and press the throttle do the revs rise? If so the clutch is slipping. Or are the revs carrying on when throttle is lifted and clutch pressed down?

Sachs ?.....everyones telling me to go for LUK & a tech in our workshop says there isnt much difference between the two makes anyway ???Its the latter...the revs carrying on when throttle is lifted and clutch pressed down..........the clutch slip only started last night ;-)

Then you might be suffering both issues! :)

Probably not a lot of difference in it, they're both OE makes, as is Valeo.