2.0 TDI S Line...tyre life expectency?

How long is a piece of string?

All depends on your driving style and the type of driving you do, not to mention what tyres you use, but I'd say anywhere up to about 15k unless you are always on the motorway

Depends on the tyres/how the vehicle is driven/to a degree on what sort of conditions the car is used (motorways/in town) etc.

Give us a clue.

I was thinking of getting a pair of continental sport 5 for the front. The car does mainly town driving during the week (wife driving) then at the weekend it's mine ;-)

I've done 24k on a set of yokohama-w drive winter tyres and thats throughout the summer... I did swap the fronts and backs a few months ago for even wear as the fronts naturally burn more rubber.

Can't comment on the SportContact 5's, but I have some SportContact3's on mine currently (all 4 tyres) and though they're down to approx 3mm. They're great. Huge step up from the Pirelli P-zero's that were fitted previously.

Really depends on ur driving style at the weekends.
Plus I'd go for the best tyres in the wet if ur planning to run them through the winter especially with the rain we have just had.
Why I went for Dunlop sportmaxx rt ;)

I had Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (225/40/18) and they were good for about 25,000 Km. I've swapped them with the winter tires about two weeks ago and discovered that one of them was worn to the metal wires.
Very disappointed!
Before these I had Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (225/45/17) - they were great and used them for about 40,000 km. Better grip than the PS3s.

Mostly town driving, not like an old man but not like an idiot either.