1999 A3 1.8 Turbo Sport HELP

a3_1.8_turbo

Reaction score
Hey all new here Great Site!!!

The problem Im Having is i recently brought a audi a3 1.8 Turbo sport 150bhp.
when buying the car i was told it had been staged 1 remapped ( no proof ). the car is 100% not running 150 bhp instead its running around 190-200 bhp. so i fitted a boost gauge but it only boosts to 0.4 - 0.5?

so would this mean its not remapped? if it hasnt why is the car so quick??

any advice would be great!

thanks

It would be unlikely that the car with probably an AGU engine is up to 200 bhp on just a stage 1 remap. Are there any other tell tale signs that other things have been done?
Maybe your boost gauge is not fitted in the correct place as a stage 1 should be on the lines of 15 psi with standard running at about 8 psi. Is there a tuning company near by who could check it out on the rolling road to ensure that all settings are ok for the car. I used
R-Tech in Hinkley for a remap on our golf 1.8T with great success

i fitted the boost gauge. i cut the pipe from the top of the standard dv n placed the t piece there. thats right isnt it. i used to have a seat leon cupra 180bhp n the audi seems alot faster?

thanks for the reply

Some people tap into the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose for a more accurate reading. Do a search on google

Taking the feed from any part of the vacuum system will give the same reading.

0.5 is 1/2 a bar which is around 6-7 psi and if you are at 200 bhp that indicates limp mode to me or a boost least.

Check the diaphragm in the DV is not leaking which would affect your reading. Take the DV out of the car and suck on the nozzle where the little vacuum hose comes out of the top. If the diapragm is split you will keep on sucking air into your mouth and you will not feel a vacuum building up. Its never done me any harm!!

Peter

or use the pen method push the pen up onto the bottom of the valve then hold your finger over where the vacuum pipe goes if it falls when removing the pen it's broke.New they are about £32 from gsf on ebay

if thats the case its false economy not to get a Forge 007 DV :p u did tap it in the right sport.. atleast thats were i did to mine when i had the 8l s3

Forge 007 is ok if you are a magpie.
A standard valve is ok for 320 bhp so on a standard aum it will be fine.

Could a mod move this to the 8L section please :)

OP - where are you based?

Sounds like you may need a health check on the motor- so a smoke test and fault code scan with VCDS should get to the bottom of the issue

+ welcome to the site :rockwoot:

wow thanks for all the replies! so i checked the dv and it was faulty so i went and brought a forge dump valve. it looked the same as the standard one but just says forge on it. anyway it still boosts to around 0.5 but it is very fast! ive raced seat leon cupras and beat them i just really dont understand why its so fast?? also now ive changed the dv when i accelerate i can hear a loud siren noise???

any ideas guys

wow thanks for all the replies! so i checked the dv and it was faulty so i went and brought a forge dump valve. it looked the same as the standard one but just says forge on it. anyway it still boosts to around 0.5 but it is very fast! ive raced seat leon cupras and beat them i just really dont understand why its so fast?? also now ive changed the dv when i accelerate i can hear a loud siren noise???

any ideas guys

Hello mate

Trying to fault diagnose over a forum is very hard and would probably end up more expensive with people saying try this and that than it actually would to get it plugged in and get some proper codes of what the car is doing,for the siren noise it could be anything from the turbo blades catching the housing,a boost leak causing the turbo to over boost to compensate to even things like a blocked cat,or then again it could sound how a perfect mapped one of those car sounds.