Tyre pressures

ACWKGYTO

Reaction score
Jeees ! The dealer I bought the car from had put 39 in the fronts and 32 in the rears !

No wonder car felt wierd ! Plus roads are shockin in mcr ! was thinking suspension was wrong like a waterbed !

Ive put them down to 31 all round, 18's on contis, 5 arm, feels miles better

What do you guys go for ?

What does inside the fuel cap say? I think mine are to high tbh

its inside the door on mine, and they are never right, far too high

IIrc mine says 39 all round too, doesn't feel skittish at all, but, well you know it feels to hard over little bumps.I'll try bringing them down to 32 all round

Just checked, 35 front 32 rear i'll drop the fronts to 32

There's a tyre pressure thread somewhere with pictures of labels from different years, engines & body types listed.

have a search & if yours isn't listed, add it. :)

Edit: >It's here<

The problem with lowering the pressures is, with the A3 being a heavy car relative to its size, squirming under heavy braking is a real danger if you go too low! I have mine at 35psi all round & am considering raising the fronts to the spec'd 39.

Last edited:
I have always kept to the 41 front 39 rear that the door label says and have been happy with how things felt and managed even tyre wear on my old contis. I swapped to Goodyear F1 all round about a month ago and things didn't feel as good, it tracked to every camber and felt soft. I checked the pressures the other day and the tyre fitters had inflated them to 34 all round so I've reset them to 41/39 and everything feels much better.

Wish I hadnt asked ! :whistle2:
Nevertheless, you did ask! & the replies you got are generally good info, don't knock it ...how\if you use it? is your prerogative.

an example: I came off a motorway last week at speed (02:00 = empty roads) & braked very hard & long! I got a Tyre Pressure warning at the round-a-bout, but the car felt fine so I carried on home. The next day I checked my pressures & they were all at around 32\33psi. I surmised the reason the TPMS lit up is because of the tyres squashing under braking! Now the TPMS isn't standard on my car & there's no reset switch, so I have to reset it using VCDS - It's not the first time I seen that warning either, and I'd like to put an end to the false alarms! For me, the reset process is a pain in the butt for something so easily avoidable.

I raised them all 2 psi & after reading Veeeight's link, I intend to go higher on the fronts just as soon as I get outside. :racer:

Edit: my Tyre Pressure kit, kept in the boot:

Tyre Pressure kit

Last edited:
Reactions: veeeight
thinking of getting one then I'll be as obsessed as you ! :rock:

will experiment

cheers for info

i run tyres (falken e914s) to the spec audi recommends and no problems! its amazing how you feel a good bit higher up after a wee top up tho haha. my ring automotive tyre inflater dosn't go that high tho ?

i run tyres (falken e914s) to the spec audi recommends and no problems! its amazing how you feel a good bit higher up after a wee top up tho haha. my ring automotive tyre inflater dosn't go that high tho ?

Do any of the portable tyre inflators go that high ?

i honestly dont know, 20 p in the garage once in the blue moon is ok lol, portable ok if you need it in a kind of emergancy state

i used to go 33 front 31 back on my a3.. felt it held the road much more althought probably not the best for tyres - i wanted grip more than anything

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
These low pressures will lead to premature wear on the outer edges. Plus a hotter tyre.
I use the recommended pressure for 18" wheels as stated on the filler flap.

This has given even wear across the width of the tyre.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO