EM TuningVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

Fixed Cost Maintenance & Supagard - worth it?

Picking up my A3 quattro 3.2 on friday so just sorting out the red tape.

Been quoted Ł40 p/m for the fixed cost maintenance plan including tyres, over 3 years/36k miles this is about Ł1460, not that tempted unless someone knows better.

Can't convince myself of Supagard either even if the car is only 2 months old, if it is so worth it why didn't they have it done when the car was registered.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: Fixed Cost Maintenance & Supagard - worth it?

Personally I would say no and no. Not worth the money on either counts.

J.

Status

Definately not.
    For 36 k miles you're looking at 1-2 AVS services Ł750 max and one set of tyres at Ł360.
    The cars under warranty so how could it ever be worth it? Even with 6 tyres needed it's not worth it.
    Also I doubt you'll be able to choose what tyres they put on, so you'll be stuck with the oh so grippy teflon coated Dunlops.

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Picking up my A3 quattro 3.2 on friday so just sorting out the red tape.

Been quoted Ł40 p/m for the fixed cost maintenance plan including tyres, over 3 years/36k miles this is about Ł1460, not that tempted unless someone knows better.

Can't convince myself of Supagard either even if the car is only 2 months old, if it is so worth it why didn't they have it done when the car was registered.

[/ QUOTE ]

36k is two services, one minor and one major @ around Ł400- Ł500 each in some dealers + at least one set of tyres @ say Ł170 each - I'd say that offer was a bargain. And you can drive it like you stole it without worrying about ripping the rubber to shreds either.

The Supaguard thing is a scam - that has bounced around the retail trade for at least 30 years to my knowledge under various names - it costs the dealer about Ł20 for materials and a couple of hours labour absolute tops. Avoid.

Status

Where the hell do you get your tyres Cosmic? Ł105 tops for Goodyear F1's, cheaper if you shop around.
    Pretty difficult to rip the rubber to shreds on a Quattro, maybe the clutch though.

Status

Yep, forget about the supagard. As said above, its not worth the money. Invest in some good cleaning products and do it yourself...

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Where the hell do you get your tyres Cosmic? Ł105 tops for Goodyear F1's, cheaper if you shop around.
    Pretty difficult to rip the rubber to shreds on a Quattro, maybe the clutch though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Decent rubber for that kind of motor, correctly speed rated will cost proper money....4WD sorts the traction out hard cornering still scrubs the tyres just like 2WD. It is even more tempting to corner hard in a quattro as it feels glued to the road

I've had an A3 Quattro by the way - and they like tyres! If they did the TDI/DSG in Quattro I'd have one now.

I'd still say that Ł1460 over three years/36k is reasonable money - for peace of mind it is very good value.

5th Gear

Status

supagard = Ł60 trade price. They sell at Ł2XX and throw it in as a dealer closer cause you think you are getting Ł2XX off

2nd Gear

Status

The 2 sevices should be Ł250 and Ł350 for a 3.2 according to Audi's own schedules.

Z rated pukka tyres, GSD3s, PS2s, Contis, whatever - no more than Ł125 fitted. (and you won't get 'decent' replacement tyres on a maintenance scheme)

Thats Ł1100. Work it out for yourself. Don't touch it.

Its a no brainer. Audi want your money up front, they prey on peoples worries about service costs. Do you think they would push it if it would make them LESS money???

Its like buying 'extended warranty' for your cooker from Curry's - everyone knows they're a rip off.

5th Gear

Status

one of the best Homer Simpson quotes, "Extended Warranty, how can I loose"

Why not set up a Standing order for the Ł40 into a savings account and use that to pay for servicing etc?

Though thats far too organised for me, spending it on beer is a much better idea IMHO

6th Gear

Status

A definite no from me as well.
    When it comes to tyres,they will dictate where you go and what tyres are fitted.
    No freedom of choice at all.
    None of our fleet cars are under full maintenance any more.

Status

"Decent rubber for that kind of motor, correctly speed rated will cost proper money...."

Oh yes silly me I was thinking of a budget tyre like the F1's I've just had fitted to my Quattro 225/40/18's which were Ł114 each fitted. 17's are even cheaper.
    Unfortunately these are only rated to 155mph

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    one of the best Homer Simpson quotes, "Extended Warranty, how can I loose"

[/ QUOTE ]

But Marj, that guy at Audi, he's soooo friendly, he just wants to help us.....

DOH.

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    supagard = Ł60 trade price. They sell at Ł2XX and throw it in as a dealer closer cause you think you are getting Ł2XX off

[/ QUOTE ]

too right, my mate gets the kits for Ł25 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    "Decent rubber for that kind of motor, correctly speed rated will cost proper money...."

Oh yes silly me I was thinking of a budget tyre like the F1's I've just had fitted to my Quattro 225/40/18's which were Ł114 each fitted. 17's are even cheaper.
    Unfortunately these are only rated to 155mph

[/ QUOTE ]

Mission accomplished.............. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif[/img]

Status

Nurse! He's out of bed again!

1st Gear

Status

I had Supagard on my A4.
    Yes, it does look good after being washed but I was ripped off for sure. I think I paid Ł350+ from Audi.

A mate of mine who is now in the valeting business said he could do the same thing for about Ł50-Ł60.

Don't fall for it! I'm sure the salesmen get to keep a good chunk for seling it.

Keep the money in your pocket!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

I had my 3.2 s line supaguarded for free but I would not have paid for it. What it does do well is protect the paont until its hardened up properly , then you can use zymol or swissol and do the job properly.

Fixed price maintenance is only worth it if you do lots of miles; doesnt work out for most I think.

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had my 3.2 s line supaguarded for free but I would not have paid for it. What it does do well is protect the paont until its hardened up properly , then you can use zymol or swissol and do the job properly.

Fixed price maintenance is only worth it if you do lots of miles; doesnt work out for most I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two types of supaguard perhaps??????

6th Gear

Status

We got that Supagard thing on a new 206 we bought for the wife about 3 years ago.

The exterior treatment was a waste of time,but the interior was scotchguarded at the same time and that WAS worth the money.

Quite amazing watching coca-cola being spilled on a cloth seat and it just sitting there,waiting to be mopped up.

Dunno if you can do that yourself like.
    I've seen spray cans of scotchguard in clothes shops before though.