Fixed Cost Maintenance & Supagard - worth it?

540YMX

Reaction score
Picking up my A3 quattro 3.2 on friday so just sorting out the red tape.

Been quoted £40 p/m for the fixed cost maintenance plan including tyres, over 3 years/36k miles this is about £1460, not that tempted unless someone knows better.

Can't convince myself of Supagard either even if the car is only 2 months old, if it is so worth it why didn't they have it done when the car was registered.

Definately not.
For 36 k miles you're looking at 1-2 AVS services £750 max and one set of tyres at £360.
The cars under warranty so how could it ever be worth it? Even with 6 tyres needed it's not worth it.
Also I doubt you'll be able to choose what tyres they put on, so you'll be stuck with the oh so grippy teflon coated Dunlops.

[ QUOTE ]
Picking up my A3 quattro 3.2 on friday so just sorting out the red tape.

Been quoted £40 p/m for the fixed cost maintenance plan including tyres, over 3 years/36k miles this is about £1460, not that tempted unless someone knows better.

Can't convince myself of Supagard either even if the car is only 2 months old, if it is so worth it why didn't they have it done when the car was registered.

[/ QUOTE ]

36k is two services, one minor and one major @ around £400- £500 each in some dealers + at least one set of tyres @ say £170 each - I'd say that offer was a bargain. And you can drive it like you stole it without worrying about ripping the rubber to shreds either.

The Supaguard thing is a scam - that has bounced around the retail trade for at least 30 years to my knowledge under various names - it costs the dealer about £20 for materials and a couple of hours labour absolute tops. Avoid.

Where the hell do you get your tyres Cosmic? £105 tops for Goodyear F1's, cheaper if you shop around.
Pretty difficult to rip the rubber to shreds on a Quattro, maybe the clutch though.

Yep, forget about the supagard. As said above, its not worth the money. Invest in some good cleaning products and do it yourself...

[ QUOTE ]
Where the hell do you get your tyres Cosmic? £105 tops for Goodyear F1's, cheaper if you shop around.
Pretty difficult to rip the rubber to shreds on a Quattro, maybe the clutch though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Decent rubber for that kind of motor, correctly speed rated will cost proper money....4WD sorts the traction out hard cornering still scrubs the tyres just like 2WD. It is even more tempting to corner hard in a quattro as it feels glued to the road

I've had an A3 Quattro by the way - and they like tyres! If they did the TDI/DSG in Quattro I'd have one now.

I'd still say that £1460 over three years/36k is reasonable money - for peace of mind it is very good value.

supagard = £60 trade price. They sell at £2XX and throw it in as a dealer closer cause you think you are getting £2XX off

The 2 sevices should be £250 and £350 for a 3.2 according to Audi's own schedules.

Z rated pukka tyres, GSD3s, PS2s, Contis, whatever - no more than £125 fitted. (and you won't get 'decent' replacement tyres on a maintenance scheme)

Thats £1100. Work it out for yourself. Don't touch it.

Its a no brainer. Audi want your money up front, they prey on peoples worries about service costs. Do you think they would push it if it would make them LESS money???

Its like buying 'extended warranty' for your cooker from Curry's - everyone knows they're a rip off.

one of the best Homer Simpson quotes, "Extended Warranty, how can I loose"

Why not set up a Standing order for the £40 into a savings account and use that to pay for servicing etc?

Though thats far too organised for me, spending it on beer is a much better idea IMHO

A definite no from me as well.
When it comes to tyres,they will dictate where you go and what tyres are fitted.
No freedom of choice at all.
None of our fleet cars are under full maintenance any more.

"Decent rubber for that kind of motor, correctly speed rated will cost proper money...."

Oh yes silly me I was thinking of a budget tyre like the F1's I've just had fitted to my Quattro 225/40/18's which were £114 each fitted. 17's are even cheaper.
Unfortunately these are only rated to 155mph

[ QUOTE ]
one of the best Homer Simpson quotes, "Extended Warranty, how can I loose"

[/ QUOTE ]

But Marj, that guy at Audi, he's soooo friendly, he just wants to help us.....

DOH.

[ QUOTE ]
supagard = £60 trade price. They sell at £2XX and throw it in as a dealer closer cause you think you are getting £2XX off

[/ QUOTE ]

too right, my mate gets the kits for £25 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
"Decent rubber for that kind of motor, correctly speed rated will cost proper money...."

Oh yes silly me I was thinking of a budget tyre like the F1's I've just had fitted to my Quattro 225/40/18's which were £114 each fitted. 17's are even cheaper.
Unfortunately these are only rated to 155mph

[/ QUOTE ]

Mission accomplished.............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

I had Supagard on my A4.
Yes, it does look good after being washed but I was ripped off for sure. I think I paid £350+ from Audi.

A mate of mine who is now in the valeting business said he could do the same thing for about £50-£60.

Don't fall for it! I'm sure the salesmen get to keep a good chunk for seling it.

Keep the money in your pocket!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

I had my 3.2 s line supaguarded for free but I would not have paid for it. What it does do well is protect the paont until its hardened up properly , then you can use zymol or swissol and do the job properly.

Fixed price maintenance is only worth it if you do lots of miles; doesnt work out for most I think.

[ QUOTE ]
I had my 3.2 s line supaguarded for free but I would not have paid for it. What it does do well is protect the paont until its hardened up properly , then you can use zymol or swissol and do the job properly.

Fixed price maintenance is only worth it if you do lots of miles; doesnt work out for most I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two types of supaguard perhaps??????

We got that Supagard thing on a new 206 we bought for the wife about 3 years ago.

The exterior treatment was a waste of time,but the interior was scotchguarded at the same time and that WAS worth the money.

Quite amazing watching coca-cola being spilled on a cloth seat and it just sitting there,waiting to be mopped up.

Dunno if you can do that yourself like.
I've seen spray cans of scotchguard in clothes shops before though.