Audi A3 2.0 Tdi Sport (140) Wheel Bearing Problem

meestaman123

Reaction score
Hi guys,

hoping for a little bit of advice on a problem I've been having. The car has been great since purchase almost 8 months ago other than a humming noise which developed recently. Had a friend give me a hand to change the bearing (whole hub assembly- part number CDK1350) but I'm unsure if this was done correctly - we tightened to 200nm with a torque bar and then tried to give it the 180 degrees extra but from what I remember may have only amounted to 90 degrees with the bar and XZN piece we had at the time giving up the ghost and snapping. The

Thinking ' god that must be tight enough now surely' we left it at that (the old one was nowhere near this tight and had lasted many, many months and looked pretty old also so hadn't recently been changed).

Noise was gone for a while at least but around 1 week later it's back with a vengeance. Upon checking it seems to definitely be the same bearing again (very rough just turning it etc.).

Now I know some people are going to say - obviously it wasn't done to the 180 degree spec but just wanted to check how other people do theirs and if there are ever any problems (I remember with some Citroen bearings on vans guys freezing them and all sorts to get them to go on without damage etc.) ? Just don't fancy forking out again to have the same issue.

Also, is there anything else that could cause a good bearing to go (spindle seemed tight enough and didn't seem marked) ? Another mechanic mentioned that some of these bearings are easy to OVER tighten and have a chrome back which can easily be damaged and hence let dirt into the bearing ?

Any advice would be great - I'm betting someone on here will give a bit of insight. I'm hoping it's just the little extra turn that was the problem but don't understand how the good one removed seemed so loose when the new one has to be so tight !

Torque depends on the bolt type:

Hexagon bolt = 200 Nm + turn 180° further
Twelve-point ribbed bolt = 70 Nm + turn 90° further
Twelve-point bolt without ribbing = 200 Nm + turn 180° further

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply - just clarify it's this type:
VW GOLF 5 AUDI A3 SEAT ALTEA SEAT LEON 30MM!! REAR WHEEL BEARING & HUB 1K0598611 | eBay

So that would be the Twelve-point bolt without ribbing = 200 Nm + turn 180° further?

I take it that it's crucial it's EXACTLY torqued and is there any special procedure i.e. lowering car then turning the last bit under load or should it all be done in the air as such ?

Thanks again

That's an aftermarket bearing, its not genuine which maybe the issue here.

Hi, yes it's made by continental or something like that looking at the box. I think you've hit the nail on the head - seems strange that it works ok for a week or so and then fails. I'd imagine if it was incorrectly fitted it would fail much sooner.

Where would you recommend for purchasing the whole hub assembly as it does seem like this is a case of 'buy cheap, buy ten times' lol so I best bite the bullet and get the correct part ?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer - it's very much appreciated.