Chris NottSky Insurance
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Boon
  • 1 Post By Dannykn9

Thread: Help! Indicator issue is driving me nuts!

Bird is the Word!

Status

Help! Indicator issue is driving me nuts!

My indicators seem to be having an issue, for the last six months or so. When the ignition is turned on (not always) I get a bulb out warning in the left or right (or both!) indicators. If I put the indicators on that side it clicks rapidly a few times (like a bulb is out) then flashes normally and the warning disappears. There seems to be no reason for this and its totally random, it also only happens on ignition on and not when traveling etc.
    I have checked all wiring and connections, even tried swapping bulbs with no luck. My fave Indy garage checked it as well and fared no better.
    Has anyone encountered this before or perhaps can diagnose the problem? Any help will be much appreciated
    S3 8P2 Ice Silver, RNS-E, Bluetooth, iPod connection, Adaptive xenons, black styling pack, sunroof, privacy glass
    Mods since owned: Milltek Resonated TBE, Neuspeed P-Flo, Loba HPFP, Sachs Clutch with Loba SMF, Unicorn Motor Developments custom remap, brakes + suspension upgrades, LEDs internal and external, more interior kit

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Reload View Post
    My indicators seem to be having an issue, for the last six months or so. When the ignition is turned on (not always) I get a bulb out warning in the left or right (or both!) indicators. If I put the indicators on that side it clicks rapidly a few times (like a bulb is out) then flashes normally and the warning disappears. There seems to be no reason for this and its totally random, it also only happens on ignition on and not when traveling etc.
    I have checked all wiring and connections, even tried swapping bulbs with no luck. My fave Indy garage checked it as well and fared no better.
    Has anyone encountered this before or perhaps can diagnose the problem? Any help will be much appreciated
    Do your hazards work correctly at all times ?

Bird is the Word!

Status
    Haven't tried them with a bulb out warning on initial ignition but normally they are fine
    S3 8P2 Ice Silver, RNS-E, Bluetooth, iPod connection, Adaptive xenons, black styling pack, sunroof, privacy glass
    Mods since owned: Milltek Resonated TBE, Neuspeed P-Flo, Loba HPFP, Sachs Clutch with Loba SMF, Unicorn Motor Developments custom remap, brakes + suspension upgrades, LEDs internal and external, more interior kit

2nd Gear

Status
    Hazard switch could be one, but more than likely you have a bad earth normally on rear lights...

Pop the units out and check wiring and connectors, give them a clean up if needed

Another test you could try would be if your pressing the brake pedal when the error occurs (causing the bad earth) the bulb out error happens?
    Reload likes this.
    54 8P2 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI BKD - Shark stage 1 - EGR delete - Dolphin Grey

Bird is the Word!

Status
    Thanks, I'll give them a check

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Have you changed your side lights to LED one's?

EDIT:

Just seen your signature. Swap out your LED side lights for original bulbs, and see if this fixes the problem. If so, then it is more than likely the resistors on your LED's have burnt out given a canbus warning for bulbs out.
    Reload likes this.
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

Bird is the Word!

Status
    I'll check the LED ones, but I dont think that's the source. Cheers for the feedback