AH FabricationsChris Nott
Results 1 to 28 of 28
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mramage
  • 3 Post By mramage

Thread: R Tech tomorrow

  1. #1
    mramage's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    514

    R Tech tomorrow

    Looking forward to seeing what Niki can do with the S3. I had bluefin on earlier in the year. It was good, but I think the stronic torque fooling was starting to cause it confusion. It just wasn't right. Back to standard and fine. I'm hopeful that both an engine and gearbox remap will do the trick.

    I'll report back here after it's done, looking forward to this and particularly interested to see what he car is putting out as standard.

    Long trip down from Glasgow, early start tomorrow!!!!!!
    JudderMan likes this.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lincolnshire & Stockport
    Posts
    152
    Hi mramage

    I was thinking of buying the bluefin, do you know if this is a common issue (torque problems) with the S-tronic gear box?

    Cheers

    J

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    216
    Hello mate. I can confirm nick can work his magic on the S3. Mine is a 2009 (59) and I went down in march and it made 277bhp and 268ft lb of torque standard and after stage one it made 304bhp and 356ft lb. Huge drive down that enjoy the ride back

  5. #4
    mramage's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet2004uk View Post
    Hi mramage

    I was thinking of buying the bluefin, do you know if this is a common issue (torque problems) with the S-tronic gear box?

    Cheers

    J
    No, not common. The guys at superchips were great and tried to resolve the issues and in the end I got it reset and sold it on. This is no slight on bluefin, but with my car it didn't play nice. It's a 2009 59 car. I waited and ran the car for several months standard to confirm gearbox was good so happy to go R Tech now.

    jonny1985, cool, nice figures!

  6. #5
    Dean_T's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    West Mids
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by mramage View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what Niki can do with the S3. I had bluefin on earlier in the year. It was good, but I think the stronic torque fooling was starting to cause it confusion. It just wasn't right. Back to standard and fine. I'm hopeful that both an engine and gearbox remap will do the trick.

    I'll report back here after it's done, looking forward to this and particularly interested to see what he car is putting out as standard.

    Long trip down from Glasgow, early start tomorrow!!!!!!
    My S3 is a 2011 and I have recently had revo 2+ on it and I'm with you - it feels like the DSG box is doing some funnies and holding back torque or something - dont get me wrong, it goes well but its not a vast improvement from Stage 1, which I was running prior.

    With Revo not having any software for newer DSG boxes then I'm thinking about R-Tech myself for a custom DSG and engine map.

    Look forward to reading an update
    Dean.

  7. #6
    buz
    Flat out

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hereford
    Posts
    51
    I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results, I've had mine done a month now and still makes me grin like a loon!!

    Did you decide on the linear throttle map or standard?

  8. #7
    turbonutz's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny1985 View Post
    Hello mate. I can confirm nick can work his magic on the S3. Mine is a 2009 (59) and I went down in march and it made 277bhp and 268ft lb of torque standard and after stage one it made 304bhp and 356ft lb. Huge drive down that enjoy the ride back
    standard figures are abouve the factory settings ? hows this lol
    Pre-facelift Sprint blue Audi S3 8P with Shark Stage 3, H&R Anti roll bars, BCS Sport turboback, ITG air intake , Autotech HPFP internals, Titanium Powdercoated OEM wheels LED interior Pack LED bulbs:
    Soon to be added AP X coilovers Porsche 996 Brembo brakes with Brembo X-drilled disks (Still!!)

    On hunt for engine mounts and O.Z Superturismo LMs(Maybe)

  9. #8
    prt57's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    226
    I have a Bluefin on my 2007 S3 manual and it pulls like a train. I am very pleased with it.

    I was at R-Tech 2 weeks ago today with our GTI 1.8T and Niki worked his magic on the car Standard was 153 bhp with was +3 bhp compared what it should have left the factory with 15 years ago.. On the way home it was like a different car, I should have had it done years ago.
    They were keen to have a go on my S3 when I mentioned that I had one but as said already, I am happy with the Bluefin. Niki did say that the S3 would benefit from a Pipercross air filter as I am keen to look OEM where possible. I bought one of these but there is quite a knack to get it in the air box without it slipping down inside the case as it is slightly smaller than the OEM paper filter.

    I would be very interested to hear if they get your car on the rollers without your front bumper touching down. I have seen some photos of an 8L S3 where the front bumper was removed before going on the rollers.

    As I got a bit of the tuning up bug for the S3, I also fitted one of these today from AMD as they are having good reviews elsewhere. Mine is the later version with the black piston and stiffer internal spring for the Ko4 turbo:

    http://www.gfb.com.au/products/blow-...cations-by-gfb

    Whilst it is very early days at the moment, it certainly seemed to hold the boost well and there seemed more urgency getting back on the gas after shifting up the box.
    I know that Niki has tested the different versions of the OEM diverter valve and gets the best results with revision G.
    Let us know how you get on!

    Peter

  10. #9
    Revo Steve-W's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Daventry, Northampton
    Posts
    177

    My Social Networking

    Add Revo Steve-W on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    My S3 is a 2011 and I have recently had revo 2+ on it and I'm with you - it feels like the DSG box is doing some funnies and holding back torque or something - dont get me wrong, it goes well but its not a vast improvement from Stage 1, which I was running prior.

    With Revo not having any software for newer DSG boxes then I'm thinking about R-Tech myself for a custom DSG and engine map.

    Look forward to reading an update
    Dean, can you give Revo/SRG HQ a shout (01327 301 901) or PM me, something doesn't sound right. You should be pretty much blown away with the improvement from Stage 1 to 2+ as many will tell you on here.

    Regards, Steve

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    236
    Good to here R-Tech are getting more notice on here. Nick knows his stuff!

    What are you having? Engine and DSG? And at what level?

    PRT57: Should go easy on the rollers mines on coils and I lifted them up a bit and was fine, when on stock suspension it wasn't a problem
    2010 Condor Grey S3 Sportback S-Tronic. 354bhp 414ft/lb.

  12. #11
    MrLapou's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    1,165
    Cannot wait to find out how you got on, as I'm looking at the same RTech Stage1 for my 2.0TFSi Quattro



    Quote Originally Posted by mramage View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what Niki can do with the S3. I had bluefin on earlier in the year. It was good, but I think the stronic torque fooling was starting to cause it confusion. It just wasn't right. Back to standard and fine. I'm hopeful that both an engine and gearbox remap will do the trick.

    I'll report back here after it's done, looking forward to this and particularly interested to see what he car is putting out as standard.

    Long trip down from Glasgow, early start tomorrow!!!!!!

  13. #12
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    304
    I fancy taking mine to niki it is a trek but for the price diferance between what he charges for live mapping compared to all these generic maps that people fiddle with

  14. #13
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    216
    Yerh mind more was higher than the standard bhp and torque. When I spoke to nick about this he just said its a strong engine and is putting out that little more bhp than standard . but with a stage 1 map on it still went to the same bhp as if the stock bhp was correct

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_sid View Post
    I fancy taking mine to niki it is a trek but for the price diferance between what he charges for live mapping compared to all these generic maps that people fiddle with
    Well worth the journey mate an as you say price wise it's probably gunna work out cheaper. Don't know how far your got to go but I travelled 200 mile round trip 3 times and I wouldn't hesitate doing it again.
    2010 Condor Grey S3 Sportback S-Tronic. 354bhp 414ft/lb.

  16. #15
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    304
    Based in Kendal so it's probably 160 miles is guess each way , how long does he keep them for normally

  17. #16
    mramage's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    514
    What a day. First off thanks to Nick, Ben and Marcus for being so helpful. Great bunch of guys.

    Secondly a warning to anyone who uses bluefin... I was told back to standard was exactly that. Turns out it's messed with to make it harder to remap elsewhere. Nick was great and took the extra time to fix it.

    I originally got bluefin earlier in the year, but the first map was for a manual and the car just held back as if I'd hit the brakes. Second map felt much like standard. Third map was better, but somehow not right. I visited superchips and came away with a little more oomph, but an unhappy DSG. It changed at odd times, clunked a bit and held back after WOT change. Worst was when it decided to not select a gear! They tried another map, but no luck. The logging I did showed the torque platue at 400mn. Hmmm. I took the map off and the car has been fine for months. I'm just stating the facts here, my experience on my car.

    Today after the superchips residue hassle I have ended up with 304bhp and 359lbft. The average torque is lower, but still north of 400nm. You can draw your own conclusion on that.

    Now the DSG feels just like it did, no funnies on my earlier 100 mile drive, no hesitation on upshift. It just works. Nick did up the launch control RPM and demonstrated. Much fun!

    I'm very happy. Everything everyone says is correct. These guys have a real passion for what they do. If I need further work, I'll be back.

    Oh, the car didn't scrape the rollers.

    Any specific questions, let me know.

    Oh, standard was 266 and 288. A little down on others, but no matter in the end.
    Last edited by mramage; 18th October 2013 at 20:07.
    Dean_T, JudderMan and buz like this.

  18. #17
    Dean_T's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    West Mids
    Posts
    511
    That must have been one long day for you!

    Glad to hear you are happy
    Dean.

  19. #18
    prt57's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    226
    Hi, I am pleased that you had a successful day and thank you about the information about the front not hitting the rollers
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have a bluefin on my S3 which is a manual. I do not notice any holding back on my car, are your symptoms specific to DSG cars as I cannot remember inputting whether my car is a manual or a DSG when downloading the Superchips map onto the Bluefin. Can they tell what gearbox the car has when you upload the standard map to Superchips in the first place?
    Any more information about this would be excellent as I am worried about your Bluefin news in relation to my manual car or is it only concerning DSG cars. I thought back to standard was exactly what you expect, what were the problems Niki experienced?
    Regards,
    Peter

  20. #19
    mramage's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    514
    Peter, just DSG. Manual should be fine :-)

  21. #20
    MrLapou's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    1,165
    Sounds like an excellent result.. Keep us informed how things pan out and settle over the coming weeks.


    Quote Originally Posted by mramage View Post
    What a day. First off thanks to Nick, Ben and Marcus for being so helpful. Great bunch of guys.

    Secondly a warning to anyone who uses bluefin... I was told back to standard was exactly that. Turns out it's messed with to make it harder to remap elsewhere. Nick was great and took the extra time to fix it.

    I originally got bluefin earlier in the year, but the first map was for a manual and the car just held back as if I'd hit the brakes. Second map felt much like standard. Third map was better, but somehow not right. I visited superchips and came away with a little more oomph, but an unhappy DSG. It changed at odd times, clunked a bit and held back after WOT change. Worst was when it decided to not select a gear! They tried another map, but no luck. The logging I did showed the torque platue at 400mn. Hmmm. I took the map off and the car has been fine for months. I'm just stating the facts here, my experience on my car.

    Today after the superchips residue hassle I have ended up with 304bhp and 359lbft. The average torque is lower, but still north of 400nm. You can draw your own conclusion on that.

    Now the DSG feels just like it did, no funnies on my earlier 100 mile drive, no hesitation on upshift. It just works. Nick did up the launch control RPM and demonstrated. Much fun!

    I'm very happy. Everything everyone says is correct. These guys have a real passion for what they do. If I need further work, I'll be back.

    Oh, the car didn't scrape the rollers.

    Any specific questions, let me know.

    Oh, standard was 266 and 288. A little down on others, but no matter in the end.

  22. #21
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by mramage View Post
    What a day. First off thanks to Nick, Ben and Marcus for being so helpful. Great bunch of guys.

    Secondly a warning to anyone who uses bluefin... I was told back to standard was exactly that. Turns out it's messed with to make it harder to remap elsewhere. Nick was great and took the extra time to fix it.

    I originally got bluefin earlier in the year, but the first map was for a manual and the car just held back as if I'd hit the brakes. Second map felt much like standard. Third map was better, but somehow not right. I visited superchips and came away with a little more oomph, but an unhappy DSG. It changed at odd times, clunked a bit and held back after WOT change. Worst was when it decided to not select a gear! They tried another map, but no luck. The logging I did showed the torque platue at 400mn. Hmmm. I took the map off and the car has been fine for months. I'm just stating the facts here, my experience on my car.

    Today after the superchips residue hassle I have ended up with 304bhp and 359lbft. The average torque is lower, but still north of 400nm. You can draw your own conclusion on that.

    Now the DSG feels just like it did, no funnies on my earlier 100 mile drive, no hesitation on upshift. It just works. Nick did up the launch control RPM and demonstrated. Much fun!

    I'm very happy. Everything everyone says is correct. These guys have a real passion for what they do. If I need further work, I'll be back.

    Oh, the car didn't scrape the rollers.

    Any specific questions, let me know.

    Oh, standard was 266 and 288. A little down on others, but no matter in the end.
    Excellent results!!
    Glad nick sorted it, and as for launch control I'm sure he up'd it to the level mine runs! Mines the one on his Facebook page lol
    2010 Condor Grey S3 Sportback S-Tronic. 354bhp 414ft/lb.

  23. #22
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_sid View Post
    Based in Kendal so it's probably 160 miles is guess each way , how long does he keep them for normally
    That's nothing mate. Not much further than me, well about an hour more but worth it. If you want a simple stage 1 I'm sure it'll be done in half a day a 2+ map and DSG is a full day job.
    2010 Condor Grey S3 Sportback S-Tronic. 354bhp 414ft/lb.

  24. #23
    turbonutz's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    393
    Nice to here its sorted for ya mramage. Where about in scotland you from and wat your s3 like?
    Pre-facelift Sprint blue Audi S3 8P with Shark Stage 3, H&R Anti roll bars, BCS Sport turboback, ITG air intake , Autotech HPFP internals, Titanium Powdercoated OEM wheels LED interior Pack LED bulbs:
    Soon to be added AP X coilovers Porsche 996 Brembo brakes with Brembo X-drilled disks (Still!!)

    On hunt for engine mounts and O.Z Superturismo LMs(Maybe)

  25. #24
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    304
    Mine is just manual but will be going stage 2+ already got a loba clutch kit just need a loba hpfp and exhaust then get it mapped

  26. #25
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_sid View Post
    Mine is just manual but will be going stage 2+ already got a loba clutch kit just need a loba hpfp and exhaust then get it mapped
    2+ will probably be a full day but that's 9.30-16.00 and on your way.
    To make the most of it make sure you've got a decent intake and if its 2009 onwards check your intercooler to make sure it's not the plastic end tank one as you will need an uprated one to get better results as I found out the hard way! Plastic = rubbish!
    2010 Condor Grey S3 Sportback S-Tronic. 354bhp 414ft/lb.

  27. #26
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    304
    Yeah I'm thinking itg or revo race one and its 2008 so its metal one which is a bonus !

  28. #27
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    236
    Both really good, but speak to Nick I think he prefers the ITG over the revo.
    2010 Condor Grey S3 Sportback S-Tronic. 354bhp 414ft/lb.

  29. #28
    mramage's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    514
    Ok folks. Reporting back after 2 weeks. That's 400 miles return from London and 1.5 weeks of commuting etc.

    Obviously the car is quicker. With the linear map and progressive power it's as I wanted. Not much difference until it's past 3K, but no sudden rush, just controllable power. Was fun getting the back end out the other day, it's easier now.

    Anyway, DSG. The increase in a clutch pressure is quite obvious. Changes are more confident, sharper. It's also a little quicker to bring in the clutch after lifting from the brake. Nothing drastic, all just that bit quicker. As anyone with DSG knows it does occasionally screw up a bit with a lower speed changes. That does mean those do get felt more, but it's a tiny price to pay and to be expected. Most impressive though are the full throttle changes, perfect. No delay, no issue. Essentially it's like DSG turned up 11 and frankly it's great.

    For anyone debating the linear mapping at R Tech it's nice to know that more throttle = more power all the way to the end of travel. Easier mid corner control and as I said the extra power helps with getting the tail out.

    If anyone has any questions let me know. Anyone wondering if it's worth driving 300 miles to R Tech. Yes, it is.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Anybody going down R-Tech tomorrow for tr charity run?
    By Gops in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 5th August 2012, 16:02
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 4th October 2010, 08:34
  3. Questions to ask service techs
    By octagon in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18th April 2004, 18:53
  4. Pick up new A4 sport tomorrow!!!!!
    By raywph in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th April 2004, 18:34
  5. Tomorrow I collect my baby
    By Chimera in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 21st February 2003, 12:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO