Rear wiper motor wiring...

rich080487

Reaction score
My rear wiper has never worked in my 2004 A3 8p. I decided it was time to try and fix it...

I can hear the relay behind the dash when I activate the steering column switch.
I took the rear trim out in the boot to reveal the motor. Used my ball joint splitter to remove the actual wiper arm.
I decided to remove the cover from the actual motor, and it completely seized up!!! I think this is the classic snapped washer pipe leaking into the mechanism. Conclusion; replacement motor needed.

I tried checking the plug that went into the motor with a multimeter. There are 4 connectors, and I can detect 12V on a number of them. Does anyone know what each colour wire does in this part of the loom so that I check the problem is definately with the motor? Or a full wiring diagram that I can work out?

I mangaged to get hold of a newer rear wiper motor from a friend who was breaking a 2011 A1.
This physically fits into the car, looks identical, and also has 4 connectors that are labelled the same on the motor. However the motor does not work when plugged into the car. Any advice on how to check this motor works by hooking it up to a spare 12V battery I have lying around?

Should this A1 rear wiper motor work? Or am I fighting a loosing battle...
Any help appreciated, Rich

Just take it out and replace the wiper with a bung - the rear of the car looks a lot sleeker and more symetrical without the wiper.

I have seen this mod done before. The problem is that I do a lot of motorway miles and the rear wiper is useful to help me see what is going on behind me...

Likewise, keep it clean and use the mirros :)

I did it to my TDI A3 for 3 years and had it done 4 years now on my S3.

ben_harris_audi_s3_a3_perfect_de-wipered_clean_rear_view_without_wiper_gecleant.1024.jpg

Thanks for the replies Boycie.

I have thought about removing the rear wiper completely. Where did you get your parts from for this?

In reality though I would really like to keep my rear wiper/get it working. So any info on the wiring details would be appreciated...

Rich, here are the connections to the rear wiper motor. Pin 4 = black/brown, =12V power (via fuse FC41 10A). Pin 2 = Green/red and connected to the rear washer pump. Pin 3 = Green/white and is also connected to the rear washer pump. Pin 1 = Brown = ground. Looks like pins 2 and 3 are the control pins which turn on the wiper motor (and the washer pump). In other words, the motor has permanent power on via pin 4, and needs a signal on pin 2 or 3 to get going. It is not clear from the wiring diagram if pin 2 or 3 is used to start it. Best I can do. P.S. please do NOT remove the rear wiper. It is there for a very good reason, as you have mentioned.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Sorted!

I managed to check the wiring from the car loom and confirmed that it worked. Note to anyone else doing this; you need to have the boot closed (or microswitch by-passed) to properly check the functioning of the loom. It took me a few attempts before I realised this important fact...

I then had to remove the snap fit arms from the side of the connector on the loom so that it could fit into the A1 wiper motor. I then secured it in place with a zip tie :)

All now works and I have an A1 motor fitted that will hopefully never leak water into the mechanism/boot liner!
Thanks again,
Rich

05a3.tdi Thanks for wiring info.closing boot makes a difference.my pump worked with plug off so all wires must be for motor.my problem is with plug off pump works and can hear relay in dash.Also 12v constant to all 3 power pins.if I switch on wiper then no power to pins 2&3 .no pump no relay sound when switching on rear wiper with plug connected..all this could be due to seized motor..any thoughts appreciated