How many of you have bonnet steam in rain?

willz17

Reaction score
Good morning guys,

driving to work this morning I was stuck in traffic and noticed I had steam coming from the bonnet?
I am assuming this is because the heat under the bonnet is hot which causes the rain to evaporate quickly?
my car has been mapped with all the mods for stage 2+

anyone else have this problem and is there a way to fix it?
it is rather embarrassing whilst stopped and steaming away!

any info is appreciated
thanks

will

It's normal, especially worse if the bonnet soundproofing is removed.

It's normal, especially worse if the bonnet soundproofing is removed.

thanks for the quick response :)
yes my soundproofing has been removed to help lose the heat. Is it worth putting it back on?
bare in mind I do have a stage 2+ car.

Thanks
will

No leave it off, the paint will not get damaged at all.

thanks for the quick response :)
yes my soundproofing has been removed to help lose the heat. Is it worth putting it back on?
bare in mind I do have a stage 2+ car.

Thanks
will

I seriously wouldn't worry about removing the soundproofing.....as you know,mine is a Stg4 car,with all the soundproofing in place,and heat is not an issue.

Mines only the 2.0FSI and I get this on wet, rainy days. Thought it was just me!

Mines only the 2.0FSI and I get this on wet, rainy days. Thought it was just me!

Most if not all cars will do this standing in traffic on a cold rainy day.....not a problem until the steam starts to come out from under the bonnet!

could be a number of reasons, clips could have broken and was hanging down so was removed, bonnet could have been painted and was never put back on, wouldn't really worry about it though

My car is from 2005. I have the soundproofing sill on. I've noticed when I tried to clean it that it has some sort of sponge inside. This sponge is now very brittle, maybe due to age. And I don't think that the proofing is efficient as it was when new. Also seems to leave a lot of dust.
This may be a reason for removing it.
I wanted to buy a new one but it is expensive.

I removed mine because it was falling apart, but also to lose heat from under the bonnet quicker,
however now its winter I see alot of bonnet steam I may need to buy a new soundproofing insulation to go under the bonnet again as it is quite embarrassing when stuck in traffic and the car is steaming away.

any idea on part numbers? For the clips and the sound proofing?
audi s3 2007 pre facelift

Will