• 1 Post By monopole
  • 1 Post By S3_Mat

Thread: Which Would You Choose?

When I grow up, I want a 964!

Status

My Social Networking

Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel

Which Would You Choose?

2.0TFSI Quattro Manual or 2.0TFSI FWD DSG?

Currently got an A3 2.0FSI and saving for a new car next year as I need more power. Won't be able to afford an S3 so 2.0TFSI is the next best option. 2.0TFSI DSG Quattro seem to be like rocking horse stuff so I'm left with the 2 options above.

I'd defo be going Stage 1, probably further when I'd saved up some dollar for uprated clutch and bits etc. In my current car I get wheel spin when its wet so I'm just thinking, although I'd really like DSG, I'd be worried that even at Stage 1, I wouldn't be able to use half the power when it's damp.

So, which would you choose?
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

2. # ADS
    ADS

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    I have the manual fwd tfsi, even with Michelin PS3 tyres I can't find traction in first and 2nd when it's raining
    dobbysline likes this.
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

3rd Gear

Status
    Manual personally as I like to be in full control of the gears.
    2007 - Imola Yellow- Audi S3 - 305
    [8L BLOG] [8P BLOG]

limboitis

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Jnr View Post
    Manual personally as I like to be in full control of the gears.
    L O L /facepalm
    sliced likes this.
    +incoming (64/Sep 1st) S3 (300) Sportback S-Tronic Quattro Daytona Grey
    -outgoing (63) A5 2.0TDI (177) Coupe Black Edition S-Tronic Quattro Phantom Black

VCDS Location: NI (County Antrim)
    - (62) A1 1.6TDI (105) Sport Manual Sportback Brilliant Black
    - (62) S3 (265) Sportback Black Edition S-Tronic Quattro Phantom Black

- (58) TT Roadster 3.2 V6 (250) S-Tronic Quattro Phantom Black

1st Gear

Status
    My advice? I wouldnt buy either i would use the money you would use to modfiy and possibly save up a bit more and plump for the S3. Its the all round better car and far more capable even in stock form. If you are sure you cant justify the cost then out of the two I would choose the 2.0TFSI Quattro

I haven't used DSG but the 4wd haldex system with a manual box will be the quicker car and more planted.

4th Gear

Status
    ditch the DSG as its stupidly expensive when it goes wrong.
    i would just go for 2.0TFSI Quattro sportback.

Status

My Social Networking

Cheers for all the replies so far lads . Thought this question may divide opinion as a lot of people are pro DSG but equally many aren't.

S3_Mat, I have thought about that but when I think realistically, it'd take me quite a while to save up and at 21, I'd be more than happy to stick with the 2.0TFSI for a few years. Already got the mods listen in my signature on my current A3, so I'd just strip these off and stick them on my new A3.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Dave-S3's Instagram Channel
    Save up & get an S3, orrrrr wildcard which keeps being posted at the moment is the Golf ED30.... Detuned S3 engine but capable of 300+ with Stage 1. If you can find a nice ED30 that is....

1st Gear

Status
    Sounds like a plan then pal. Given your age then decent insurance quotes on an S3 is a few years off so granted the 2.0TFSI sounds the best option for you.

Im neither pro or against DSG because i have no basis for opinion, from what i gather if you are prepared to stomach a possible big bill for repairs DSG is the way forward but i wouldn't choose that over Quattro. Just my 2 cents... Quattro and DSG on the other hand...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-S3 View Post
    Save up & get an S3, orrrrr wildcard which keeps being posted at the moment is the Golf ED30.... Detuned S3 engine but capable of 300+ with Stage 1. If you can find a nice ED30 that is....
    This is not a bad shout but insurance wouldn't be a great deal different or running costs (less due to no haldex and slightly cheaper parts). Initial outlay would be less also, might worth a look?
    Dave-S3 likes this.

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    At 21 I believe it's cheaper to insure a stock S3, than a 2.0tfsi with a remap
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Dave-S3's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by S3_Mat View Post
    Sounds like a plan then pal. Given your age then decent insurance quotes on an S3 is a few years off so granted the 2.0TFSI sounds the best option for you.

Im neither pro or against DSG because i have no basis for opinion, from what i gather if you are prepared to stomach a possible big bill for repairs DSG is the way forward but i wouldn't choose that over Quattro. Just my 2 cents... Quattro and DSG on the other hand...
    Provided the DSG box has had its oil and filter changed every 40k, i think... they're pretty much bombproof, certainly the newer DSG system is anyway, there was a fairly long discussion thread on here the other day about DSG V Manual, lots of DSG lovers and opposition of manual, but hardly if any issues raised about its reliability or failure. I do agree.. IF it goes wrong its going to cost alot, but if you drive one & like it then i wouldnt let that put you off!

4th Gear

Status
    2.0 TFSi quattro manual 3dr.
    DSG...dislike!
    5dr/estate/avant/sportback...dislike!

Black edition has flat bottom wheel/DRL's etc so if the budget allows, go for that.
    FWD is ok with decent tyres. Pilot Sport 2's worked well on mine.
    PS3's are no where near as good.
    They are the replacement for the Exalto 2's, super sports are the replacement for the PS2's.
    Now:
    TTS, Leon Cupra R, MK2 Golf GTi 16v BB 3dr & MK4 Golf "GTi" 2.0 8v

Past:
    S3 8P3
    A3 2.0T
    S3 8L REVO
    306 Rallye
    Impreza STi8
    Leon Cupra R REVO
    S3 8L REVO
    Impreza T2000
    306 Rallye
    MK3 Golf GTi 8v
    & more in between

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-S3 View Post
    Was looking at them but I've always thought of Golfs as a poor mans Audi A3/S3. See too many chavs flying around in them thinking they're the dogs danglies.

Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    At 21 I believe it's cheaper to insure a stock S3, than a 2.0tfsi with a remap
    If I did save up and get an S3, it wouldn't stay stock for long either though.

Quote Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
    2.0 TFSi quattro manual 3dr.
    DSG...dislike!
    5dr/estate/avant/sportback...dislike!

Black edition has flat bottom wheel/DRL's etc so if the budget allows, go for that.
    FWD is ok with decent tyres. Pilot Sport 2's worked well on mine.
    PS3's are no where near as good.
    They are the replacement for the Exalto 2's, super sports are the replacement for the PS2's.
    Looking at around 56/57 plate, as much as I'd like an 8P3 A3, I'd have to become a social recluse.

Just to throw something else into the equation, from what I've been looking at, a Manual Quattro TFSI is much easier to come across than a decent DSG.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport

5th Gear

Status
    I've got the rocking horse stuff.

Superb in all weather esp standstill take off on slippery roads.

Having had DSG/S-Tronic boxes since 2003.. I'm hooked on them...