AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: poor MPG on 06 S3

4th Gear

Status

poor MPG on 06 S3

Hi all, recently bought an S3 and while I knew it wouldnt be frugal I thought it would do a little better.

around town it will struggle to see 20mpg. On a long A/B road run (eg 40miles) I drove like a nun and ended up just shy of 30mpg.

I know its not *too* bad but Id have expected a little better, closer to 40 on a very gentle long run?

No faults on dash or in vcds so Im guessing its either:

- MAF
    - Lambda
    - A crappy remap I dont know about

Any pointers to something I can look at? Maybe using VCDS?

Cheers all.
    Last edited by pablo; 10th October 2013 at 08:13.
    back to boost, oh how I missed thee....

2. # ADS
    ADS

07 170 DSG

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post

around town it will struggle to see 20mph
    Use the pedal on the right
    NHN likes this.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

4th Gear

Status
    doh!

1st Gear

Status
    I'm seeing between 23-25mpg around town and between 30-35 on a long run.
    S3 Revo Stage 2+
    Milltek Non Res-ITG-Autotech HPFP-Loba SMF

1st Gear

Status
    I've never seen above 29mpg displayed on mine.

2nd Gear

Status
    Check your DV for tears. Has it been serviced recently? New airfilter? You can check your MAF output using VCDS.

Bird is the Word!

Status
    I used to get that sort of mpg on mine, remap has slightly improved it from around 30 on a motorway run to about 34 now.
    S3 8P2 Ice Silver, RNS-E, Bluetooth, iPod connection, Adaptive xenons, black styling pack, sunroof, privacy glass
    Mods since owned: Milltek Resonated TBE, Neuspeed P-Flo, Loba HPFP, Sachs Clutch with Loba SMF, Unicorn Motor Developments custom remap, brakes + suspension upgrades, LEDs internal and external, more interior kit

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Dave-S3's Instagram Channel
    Are you joking? My 2009 S3 did 32.2mpg yesterday on a 35 mile motorway run, youd be lucky to get above that anywhere its a 2.0 Turbo with a quattro system, most diesels will struggle to see 45mpg on a run unless you drive like a granny all the way at 50mph!!! yours will also be the older/non haldex system so someone correct me if im wrong but it is 4 wheel drive more often than the post 58 plate haldex systems?

4th Gear

Status
    same journey my 5speed 330Ci would have cracked 35mpg, my A6 2.0TDI would have seen 55mpg.

And I was driving like a granny :P

As for the haldex I was under the impression it was 2WD until it needed extra grip and engaged the rears.

Any contemporary hatch (ST focus etc) would have seen 40mph on that same drive imo.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nluk100 View Post
    Check your DV for tears. Has it been serviced recently? New airfilter? You can check your MAF output using VCDS.
    Do this, and remap it. Then see what you get. But in all honesty the figures you have given are not far from actual.

1st Gear

Status
    Any contemporary hatch (ST focus etc) would have seen 40mph on that same drive imo.
    Focus ST returns worse MPG than an s3 due to its larger capacity and ford didn't really pay much attention to fuel economy when creating the ST!

4th Gear

Status
    I put a new DV in when I bought it as it was rev C (looked ok in fairness but given the failure rate and the low cost seemed sensible). Ive to service it tonight as it happens so Ill see what its like after (oil/filter/airfilter/plugs).

I could check MAF output no problem but wouldnt be sure what I was looking for tbh.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit gogz s3's Instagram Channel
    If you were expecting 40 mpg, you should've bought a diesel!

The most i've had was 31.
    NHN likes this.
    Audi S3, Sprint Blue, Black Edition

Rarely neutral

Status
    FWIW,mine will do an average of around 30mpg on the drag into work,but can easily return very low 20s if hoofed.

A remap can improve economy,but only if you don't use the power.

That said,the S3 isn't designed as an Eco model,but it's better on the gas than the 3.2.

2nd Gear

Status
    Mine runs a bit better than those figures you posted but when ma dv was fooked it was about same. Maybe you got boost leak or something? My friends focus st that he had, he was lucky to see 20mpg so thats swinging a miss. The s3 1 off the better for mpg and 1 of the best for performance in the hot hatch world.
    Pre-facelift Sprint blue Audi S3 8P with Shark Stage 3, H&R Anti roll bars, BCS Sport turboback, ITG air intake , Autotech HPFP internals, Titanium Powdercoated OEM wheels LED interior Pack LED bulbs:
    Soon to be added AP X coilovers Porsche 996 Brembo brakes with Brembo X-drilled disks (Still!!)

On hunt for engine mounts and O.Z Superturismo LMs(Maybe)

4th Gear

Status
    yeah I checked up there and the ST is pretty dire!

If thats what it is, thats what it is but defo expected a little more I guess on a granny run.

2nd Gear

Status
    I have seen 38-39 mpg on a couple of long runs and regularly get 32-34 mpg on shorter runs. Even when caning it I get 26 mpg, so something is amiss!

07 170 DSG

Status
    A simple thing as the thermostat not holding at 90 deg will return a lesser mpg.

3rd Gear

Status
    When I first start up in the morning it displays 16, then as I drive to work t creeps up to 27.
    Cruising on the motorway it can reach 30.
    2007 - Imola Yellow- Audi S3 - 305
    [8L BLOG] [8P BLOG]

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

same journey my 5speed 330Ci would have cracked 35mpg, my A6 2.0TDI would have seen 55mpg.

And I was driving like a granny :P

As for the haldex I was under the impression it was 2WD until it needed extra grip and engaged the rears.

No the older system doesnt quite work like that i dont think but someone correct me if im wrong?

As said a focus ST one a run would probably do half :/

For what it is.. its an economical car, to put it into perspective though i did the same journey yesterday in an S3 at 32 MPG then in a brand new 2.0 tdi 150 and it did about 44ish MPG both driving calmly and sensibley... diesels arent all to shout about!!

4th Gear

Status
    I could genuinely see 60mpg on my A6 2.0 TDI.

My E46 M3 could eek nearly 40mpg and its 350bhp.

30mpg on a granny run is really not economical at all.

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Sell it then...

4th Gear

Status
    could you stop being an arsehole please?

Id rather not sell it, Id rather see if there is a fault and fix it. It certainly isnt comparable to other performance cars Ive owned and Id like to find out why. If its just the way it is then fair enough but I do not believe 30mpg on a granny run at 50-60mph is correct.

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

could you stop being an arsehole please?

Id rather not sell it, Id rather see if there is a fault and fix it. It certainly isnt comparable to other performance cars Ive owned and Id like to find out why. If its just the way it is then fair enough but I do not believe 30mpg on a granny run at 50-60mph is correct.
    Well the main thing thats come up so far that can cause bad economy you have already sorted, the DV.

Personally i think there is enough evidence up there to say that its probably about average mpg for the type of car, there are so many things that can affect fuel economy it isnt just the speed you drive at. Have you tried running a tank of V-Power through the system. The 2.0TFSi engine performs best on 98+ RON.....

Are all the tyre pressures correct?

Is it due a service?

3rd Gear

Status
    Why not see how many actual miles you get before the low petrol light comes on.
    2007 - Imola Yellow- Audi S3 - 305
    [8L BLOG] [8P BLOG]

4th Gear

Status
    there we go

to be fair if I done a normal motorway run Id see around 25mpg. sitting at 70ish. So I do think its low.

unfortunately we dont get v-power here. or shell at all for that matter. Maybe try some BP Ultimate through it.

Getting serviced tonight, and might clean the intake valves over the weekend.

First thing I might do (as someone suggested) is to log the MAF output and see A) if its mapped, and B) if the MAF is bad.

It feels quick, quicker than I expected in all honesty, so may be mapped. And if mapped, it may be a bad map!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Jnr View Post
    Why not see how many actual miles you get before the low petrol light comes on.
    £40 at 133.9p = 6.57gallons. That gets me 160miles = 24mpg average. That was mostly made up of 2 x 60-70mile at 50-60mph round trips at a gentle pace (in family mode).

Shall report back after a service and a tank of Ultimate. I realise this is an unanswerable problem via the net but more looking for A) others experiences and B) things to check out. Rather than actual answers.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Ive had 2 S3s, manual, DSG, stock, mapped. And covered around 50-60K miles in them combined.

21mpg is all I see around town.
    28mpg is all I see on a run.
    Have only ever once seen over 30mpg on a run back from London to Newcastle.

I have never found the S3 to be particularly economical but I didnt expect it to be so havent been concerned.

Great car but I wont miss the V Power bills when it goes to a new home on Saturday....
    Last edited by PaulAr; 10th October 2013 at 21:28.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Hmmm, if the car is from NI and has only ever been run on 95RON, it could be an indication of why its MPG is low? It even says on the petrol flap that optimum fuel is 98RON.

A service will help if it hasnt had one in a while. How many miles has it covered?

It should do more than 25mpg down the motorway. I think if it has a bad map then the car would feel sluggish, i doubt fuel economy would be the only indicator of a bad map.

4th Gear

Status
    was bought from England 2 weeks ago. 68k. last service unknown but when I changed the air filter the other day (while I had the cover off) it didnt look too dirty.

only has part history last audi service was at 40k.

3rd Gear

Status
    Mine normally hunts about 28. On gentle runs I've seen 35+. Of course, use it properly and that drops fast. Sounds like something is wrong. That's 99 only.

5th Gear

Status
    £40 at 133.9p = 6.57gallons. That gets me 160miles = 24mpg average. That was mostly made up of 2 x 60-70mile at 50-60mph round trips at a gentle pace (in family mode).

Shall report back after a service and a tank of Ultimate. I realise this is an unanswerable problem via the net but more looking for A) others experiences and B) things to check out. Rather than actual answers.
    these figures sound round about right on mine aswell.... Generally only see a return of 320 miles max to a full tank... I've been running the car constantly on tesco momentum 99 since I got it.. I'm going to get it mapped soon so dont really want to flip to any other fuels at the moment. I'm also going to upgrade from the standard dv and will be interesting to see if it makes any difference once its all done
    Last edited by S3_Jacko; 10th October 2013 at 17:14.

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

was bought from England 2 weeks ago. 68k. last service unknown but when I changed the air filter the other day (while I had the cover off) it didnt look too dirty.

only has part history last audi service was at 40k.
    Hmmm To be fair, an S3 isnt the sort of car i would ever buy with only part service history, these cars are supposed to have an oil service every 9k and a major service every 18k... having no history for the last 30k miles could be part of the issue but you never know i guess!

Neutral

Status
    Just to add my two pennies worth. Having owned my S3 for a month now I'm the opposite in fact my mpg has impressed me I got near on 400 miles from a tank that did have a couple of long trips in there. Maybe I feel lucky the fact I've owned a ST and that was truly shocking. So all in all I'm delighted with my overall mpg. Oh I'm running bp ultimate doubt that has much impact though.

07 170 DSG

Status
    Bp ultimate aint the best v-power or momentum 99 are the ones to use, i bet you feel the differnce if you try either.

2nd Gear

Status
    the car should have a bit better mpg i agree. i get over 30 mpg running on motorway at normal driving and going slowly eg 60 odd on motorway will see me do 34-36 mpg.

maybe u was just driving into strong winds lol
    Pre-facelift Sprint blue Audi S3 8P with Shark Stage 3, H&R Anti roll bars, BCS Sport turboback, ITG air intake , Autotech HPFP internals, Titanium Powdercoated OEM wheels LED interior Pack LED bulbs:
    Soon to be added AP X coilovers Porsche 996 Brembo brakes with Brembo X-drilled disks (Still!!)

On hunt for engine mounts and O.Z Superturismo LMs(Maybe)

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE69 View Post
    Bp ultimate aint the best v-power or momentum 99 are the ones to use, i bet you feel the differnce if you try either.
    Yeah I wish I could get these round my way we have nothing local anymore. So I just put the next best in.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE69 View Post
    cant get either in NI FFS

well oil/oil filter and plugs done tonight and £40 of Ultimate in so will see how it goes tomorrow. Oil/filter and plugs all looked fine so Id imagine it was serviced relatively recently. Must phone around see if I can find any more service info from the places that MOTed it.

I got it cheap and it drives brilliantly so cant complain too much

1st Gear

Status
    In my scooby days I only dreamed of mpg like that Brilliant cars though, burble is truly addictive, fuel bill is about the only thing I don't miss about them, well apart from the brakes, shxt stereo, cheap interior............

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

cant get either in NI FFS

well oil/oil filter and plugs done tonight and £40 of Ultimate in so will see how it goes tomorrow. Oil/filter and plugs all looked fine so Id imagine it was serviced relatively recently. Must phone around see if I can find any more service info from the places that MOTed it.

I got it cheap and it drives brilliantly so cant complain too much
    what does the air filter look like? If thats clogged then it could be causing some issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast