Right dipped headlight warning...

tally2425

Reaction score
Well this might be a strange one, i'm basically getting this warning message on my dash saying 'Right dipped headlight warning' but my headlights work fine and it comes warning me all the time. It will come on for 10/15 seconds then go off then come back after 10/15 seconds, any ideas what this could be? maybe a disturbed sensor?

Last edited:
Some possibilities: Try changing the bulb, or at least plugging it in and out to clean the contacts, check the earth wiring (brown) on the RH unit, or perhaps the on-board supply control unit (electronic box that supplies power to all front lamps) may be faulty and sending the wrong signal on the CAN bus. Sounds a bit like a contact problem (intermittent high resistance) somewhere. Good luck.

Some possibilities: Try changing the bulb, or at least plugging it in and out to clean the contacts, check the earth wiring (brown) on the RH unit, or perhaps the on-board supply control unit (electronic box that supplies power to all front lamps) may be faulty and sending the wrong signal on the CAN bus. Sounds a bit like a contact problem (intermittent high resistance) somewhere. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, first thing i'll try is pull the bulb out and clean the contacts and plug it back in seems like a simple enough job!

Check it's going up and down, must be lit and ignition on.
If it's OK, at least it rules that out!

Well little update on things, went out in the car last night and my right side light didn't come on but after a few minutes of driving it came on, so i'm guessing the bulb is on it's way out, anyone got a link to buy OEM bulbs from? (don't want another error message for having the wrong bulbs)

Not necessarily the bulb mate. If it went off and then on again, this would suggest to me it is a wiring issue. Check the wires on back if connector are all intact properly and no corrosion etc. Had a similar problem few years ago but on the rear.
I doubt it very much is the bulb, but could be wrong.
But in the case if it is the bulbs then don't buy from the stealers as they will charge a fortune. You can get the same bulbs for less from places like eurocarparts etc. I believe the oem bulbs are by phillips.

Not necessarily the bulb mate. If it went off and then on again, this would suggest to me it is a wiring issue. Check the wires on back if connector are all intact properly and no corrosion etc. Had a similar problem few years ago but on the rear.
I doubt it very much is the bulb, but could be wrong.
But in the case if it is the bulbs then don't buy from the stealers as they will charge a fortune. You can get the same bulbs for less from places like eurocarparts etc. I believe the oem bulbs are by phillips.

Coming to think of it i did have some work done on the car last week and it's only started since then so i'll have check that and could possibly be loose!

I've had a bulb fail in this mode - if the filament is burning out and collapsing - but as had been said, it's not common. I'm impressed with Audi's warning system - would be good if other cars had it judging by the number of cars I see with brake lights, headlights etc not working.

I've had a bulb fail in this mode - if the filament is burning out and collapsing - but as had been said, it's not common. I'm impressed with Audi's warning system - would be good if other cars had it judging by the number of cars I see with brake lights, headlights etc not working.

So are you saying it could be the bulb or the wiring? i am impressed with the warning system too! just annoying when it makes a noise every 15 seconds :p

To check if it is the bulb, swap it with the left one and see if problem resolves. If so, you have found your problem, if not then as said, could be wiring/dodgy connection.

To check if it is the bulb, swap it with the left one and see if problem resolves. If so, you have found your problem, if not then as said, could be wiring/dodgy connection.

Great idea, i shall try that (saves me buying one for now) also i'm guessing it's simple to replace the bulb? heard about A4's being a pain to get to, A3's any different?

Great idea, i shall try that (saves me buying one for now) also i'm guessing it's simple to replace the bulb? heard about A4's being a pain to get to, A3's any different?
I used long nosed pliers, if you use a mirror to see what you're doing in the first place it is quite easy.