Has anyone tried Fuel Injector cleaner ( stuff you add to a tank of fuel)

Just wondering has anyone tried this stuff? Does it work? Is it bad for the car?
Halfords | Redex Fuel System Cleaner Petrol Injector

Any feedback welcome

Fifth gear covered this topic last week mate... Got an old vr6 corrado, dyno'd it and it had lost 17 horses from factory, they were trying different products to see how many horses they could restore back to the engine...

Anyway, they used that Redex and ran it in for a week and it returned something like 6-8hp to the engine... that was the highest gain from anything they tried e.g new spark plugs, air filter etc.... and they couldn't speak highly enough of it... So i'm actually gonna run it through my car soon aswell.

Nooo you seriously cannot believe anything that mobile rolling road dishes out.

Aye if it was different days then the temps etc would make a diff. I did use it on an old diesel van and i thought it was better but maybe the placebo effect. I also did the millers oils stuff on my mk4 GTI and stuck with it sure it was octane booster

It only makes a difference if your fuel system hasn't been treated to decent super unleaded for a while! The cleaning\lubricating agents BP\Shell add does the same thing as Redex, Wynns, etc. So you won't see any benefit if you use BP\Shell super continuously.

a might get something like this for my S3 if anyone can recommend one as im guilty of running my car on ASDA smart price fuel :) *pats ma bum pocket couple times*

Reactions: MarkpS3
Just wondering has anyone tried this stuff? Does it work? Is it bad for the car?
Halfords | Redex Fuel System Cleaner Petrol Injector

Any feedback welcome
Not the fuel cleaner, but the Redex Petrol Advanced (and the Diesel version) are the same as the Techron additive that many forums swear by as a once per 3000 miles cleaner.
I used it on a misbehaving petrol engine that had been unloved, and it came back to lively activity. Ditto on two diesel engines in my "fleet", and both are now robustly lively.
One reservation; the cleaner breaks up oil products (by definition) so it is wise to use it just before an oil change so that residual leakage past the rings, etc, have no long-lasting effect.

Simple illustration of the effectiveness; the MPG value changes on the computer. Doesn't matter if it increases or decreases, it shows the additive has had an effect. (If the injectors were clogged, the fuel interval would have to be extended to provide the expected power, so the previous reported fuel economy would be worse. If the injectors had some crud causing a leak, the injectors would not have to open so long to get the expected power, so the previous reported fuel economy would be better)

Reactions: sliced
Not the fuel cleaner, but the Redex Petrol Advanced (and the Diesel version) are the same as the Techron additive that many forums swear by as a once per 3000 miles cleaner.
I used it on a misbehaving petrol engine that had been unloved, and it came back to lively activity. Ditto on two diesel engines in my "fleet", and both are now robustly lively.
One reservation; the cleaner breaks up oil products (by definition) so it is wise to use it just before an oil change so that residual leakage past the rings, etc, have no long-lasting effect.

Simple illustration of the effectiveness; the MPG value changes on the computer. Doesn't matter if it increases or decreases, it shows the additive has had an effect. (If the injectors were clogged, the fuel interval would have to be extended to provide the expected power, so the previous reported fuel economy would be worse. If the injectors had some crud causing a leak, the injectors would not have to open so long to get the expected power, so the previous reported fuel economy would be better)

thank you for the insight! I'm going to try it next weekend when i fuel up! Hopefully it will make my car a bit smoother

I remember trying some injector cleaner a fair while back when my car was at Stg2+ and we were having problems with a persistent high rpm misfire.

The stuff made no real difference,but the problem was airflow restriction at high rpm from trying to keep the stock intake system.

Since then,I've not used the stuff again,and the beast has covered around 20 000 miles on S3 injectors and 30 000 on RS4's without problems.

Reactions: sliced
I remember trying some injector cleaner a fair while back when my car was at Stg2+ and we were having problems with a persistent high rpm misfire.

The stuff made no real difference,but the problem was airflow restriction at high rpm from trying to keep the stock intake system.

Since then,I've not used the stuff again,and the beast has covered around 20 000 miles on S3 injectors and 30 000 on RS4's without problems.
Yes, if you are running reputable fuel, then that carries suitable additives to keep the system working correctly.
I have started to use the "Redex Advanced" as a "welcome" treatment, to normalise the system after the loving neglect of the previous owner. (I can then do the oil change as continuation of the welcome)
And I also use it when there are problems with the system that might be attributed to the fuel system; having confidence that the fuel system is working as best possible, then you *can* move on to other features like air system restrictions. But it is a useful debugging tool, and saves expensive injector servicing.

BG44K from any quickfit 20 quid. Its meant to be the best avaliable and i was certainly happy with results.

Yes, if you are running reputable fuel, then that carries suitable additives to keep the system working correctly.
I have started to use the "Redex Advanced" as a "welcome" treatment, to normalise the system after the loving neglect of the previous owner. (I can then do the oil change as continuation of the welcome)
And I also use it when there are problems with the system that might be attributed to the fuel system; having confidence that the fuel system is working as best possible, then you *can* move on to other features like air system restrictions. But it is a useful debugging tool, and saves expensive injector servicing.

Agreed.

I did use cheaper stuff early on,before I began modifying the car,and stopped as soon as the madness began.

Now it dines only on V-Power or Momentum,and eats better than I do!

Reactions: voorhees, Tolak and Kelza
Cheers guys, Ive taken the plunge and filled up with a full tank and put some in. Going to take over a month to use a full tank of fuel :unsure:

Don't waste money on Diesel Redex, it's more or less 2 stroke oil. Been using that at every fill up (300ml per tank) works a treat

Not sure on the petrol version, always used to use it every couple of months

Don't waste money on Diesel Redex, it's more or less 2 stroke oil. Been using that at every fill up (300ml per tank) works a treat

The Diesel Redex fuel additive (that you put into every fuel tank) and the Redex Diesel Advanced (which you use once every 3000 miles) are quite different things.
I agree about not using Redex in every tank; I've tried that, and found no benefit.
But the Advanced, as a one-off cleaner, does have a good effect.
My Cabbie had a primer pump valve issue, so it would not prime on the gradient of my drive; after a dose of this, the valve is working OK again, and I can park where I want!
So the Avant will have a dose quite soon; just after I've had a chance to try it "out of the box". Only one day to go before pick-up!