Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Tolak
  • 1 Post By S3Alex
  • 3 Post By S3Alex

Thread: Has anyone tried Fuel Injector cleaner ( stuff you add to a tank of fuel)

  1. #1
    sliced's Avatar
    Drive safe, stay alive.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,217

    Has anyone tried Fuel Injector cleaner ( stuff you add to a tank of fuel)

    Just wondering has anyone tried this stuff? Does it work? Is it bad for the car?
    Halfords | Redex Fuel System Cleaner Petrol Injector


    Any feedback welcome
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    LEE69's Avatar
    07 170 DSG

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    898
    Years ago on petrol made naff all difference.

    I have just got some of this to put through mine got BOGOF from powerenhancer

    Archoil AR6500 Professional DPF & CAT Cleaner (100ml Twin Pack): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional


  4. #3
    LEE69's Avatar
    07 170 DSG

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    898
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional


  5. #4
    S3_Jacko's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    Just wondering has anyone tried this stuff? Does it work? Is it bad for the car?
    Halfords | Redex Fuel System Cleaner Petrol Injector


    Any feedback welcome

    Fifth gear covered this topic last week mate... Got an old vr6 corrado, dyno'd it and it had lost 17 horses from factory, they were trying different products to see how many horses they could restore back to the engine...

    Anyway, they used that Redex and ran it in for a week and it returned something like 6-8hp to the engine... that was the highest gain from anything they tried e.g new spark plugs, air filter etc.... and they couldn't speak highly enough of it... So i'm actually gonna run it through my car soon aswell.

  6. #5
    LEE69's Avatar
    07 170 DSG

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    898
    Nooo you seriously cannot believe anything that mobile rolling road dishes out.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional


  7. #6
    manor13's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    West of Lothian
    Posts
    431
    Aye if it was different days then the temps etc would make a diff. I did use it on an old diesel van and i thought it was better but maybe the placebo effect. I also did the millers oils stuff on my mk4 GTI and stuck with it sure it was octane booster

  8. #7

  9. #8
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,848
    It only makes a difference if your fuel system hasn't been treated to decent super unleaded for a while! The cleaning\lubricating agents BP\Shell add does the same thing as Redex, Wynns, etc. So you won't see any benefit if you use BP\Shell super continuously.
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  10. #9
    turbonutz's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    400
    a might get something like this for my S3 if anyone can recommend one as im guilty of running my car on ASDA smart price fuel *pats ma bum pocket couple times*
    Pre-facelift Sprint blue Audi S3 8P with Shark Stage 3, H&R Anti roll bars, BCS Sport turboback, ITG air intake , Autotech HPFP internals, Titanium Powdercoated OEM wheels LED interior Pack LED bulbs:
    Soon to be added AP X coilovers Porsche 996 Brembo brakes with Brembo X-drilled disks (Still!!)

    On hunt for engine mounts and O.Z Superturismo LMs(Maybe)

  11. #10
    tdi-man's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,612
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

    233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm (NEEDS A NEW MAP)




  12. #11
    Tolak's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    Just wondering has anyone tried this stuff? Does it work? Is it bad for the car?
    Halfords | Redex Fuel System Cleaner Petrol Injector


    Any feedback welcome
    Not the fuel cleaner, but the Redex Petrol Advanced (and the Diesel version) are the same as the Techron additive that many forums swear by as a once per 3000 miles cleaner.
    I used it on a misbehaving petrol engine that had been unloved, and it came back to lively activity. Ditto on two diesel engines in my "fleet", and both are now robustly lively.
    One reservation; the cleaner breaks up oil products (by definition) so it is wise to use it just before an oil change so that residual leakage past the rings, etc, have no long-lasting effect.

    Simple illustration of the effectiveness; the MPG value changes on the computer. Doesn't matter if it increases or decreases, it shows the additive has had an effect. (If the injectors were clogged, the fuel interval would have to be extended to provide the expected power, so the previous reported fuel economy would be worse. If the injectors had some crud causing a leak, the injectors would not have to open so long to get the expected power, so the previous reported fuel economy would be better)
    sliced likes this.
    A4 B7 Cabrio 2007 2.0 TDi Black "Sport"

  13. #12
    sliced's Avatar
    Drive safe, stay alive.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolak View Post
    Not the fuel cleaner, but the Redex Petrol Advanced (and the Diesel version) are the same as the Techron additive that many forums swear by as a once per 3000 miles cleaner.
    I used it on a misbehaving petrol engine that had been unloved, and it came back to lively activity. Ditto on two diesel engines in my "fleet", and both are now robustly lively.
    One reservation; the cleaner breaks up oil products (by definition) so it is wise to use it just before an oil change so that residual leakage past the rings, etc, have no long-lasting effect.

    Simple illustration of the effectiveness; the MPG value changes on the computer. Doesn't matter if it increases or decreases, it shows the additive has had an effect. (If the injectors were clogged, the fuel interval would have to be extended to provide the expected power, so the previous reported fuel economy would be worse. If the injectors had some crud causing a leak, the injectors would not have to open so long to get the expected power, so the previous reported fuel economy would be better)
    thank you for the insight! I'm going to try it next weekend when i fuel up! Hopefully it will make my car a bit smoother
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

  14. #13
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,368
    I remember trying some injector cleaner a fair while back when my car was at Stg2+ and we were having problems with a persistent high rpm misfire.


    The stuff made no real difference,but the problem was airflow restriction at high rpm from trying to keep the stock intake system.

    Since then,I've not used the stuff again,and the beast has covered around 20 000 miles on S3 injectors and 30 000 on RS4's without problems.

  15. #14
    Tolak's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    I remember trying some injector cleaner a fair while back when my car was at Stg2+ and we were having problems with a persistent high rpm misfire.


    The stuff made no real difference,but the problem was airflow restriction at high rpm from trying to keep the stock intake system.

    Since then,I've not used the stuff again,and the beast has covered around 20 000 miles on S3 injectors and 30 000 on RS4's without problems.
    Yes, if you are running reputable fuel, then that carries suitable additives to keep the system working correctly.
    I have started to use the "Redex Advanced" as a "welcome" treatment, to normalise the system after the loving neglect of the previous owner. (I can then do the oil change as continuation of the welcome)
    And I also use it when there are problems with the system that might be attributed to the fuel system; having confidence that the fuel system is working as best possible, then you *can* move on to other features like air system restrictions. But it is a useful debugging tool, and saves expensive injector servicing.
    A4 B7 Cabrio 2007 2.0 TDi Black "Sport"

  16. #15
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    glasgow
    Posts
    23
    BG44K from any quickfit 20 quid. Its meant to be the best avaliable and i was certainly happy with results.

  17. #16
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolak View Post
    Yes, if you are running reputable fuel, then that carries suitable additives to keep the system working correctly.
    I have started to use the "Redex Advanced" as a "welcome" treatment, to normalise the system after the loving neglect of the previous owner. (I can then do the oil change as continuation of the welcome)
    And I also use it when there are problems with the system that might be attributed to the fuel system; having confidence that the fuel system is working as best possible, then you *can* move on to other features like air system restrictions. But it is a useful debugging tool, and saves expensive injector servicing.
    Agreed.

    I did use cheaper stuff early on,before I began modifying the car,and stopped as soon as the madness began.

    Now it dines only on V-Power or Momentum,and eats better than I do!

  18. #17
    sliced's Avatar
    Drive safe, stay alive.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,217
    Cheers guys, Ive taken the plunge and filled up with a full tank and put some in. Going to take over a month to use a full tank of fuel
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

  19. #18
    Boon's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South East Kent
    Posts
    414
    Don't waste money on Diesel Redex, it's more or less 2 stroke oil. Been using that at every fill up (300ml per tank) works a treat

    Not sure on the petrol version, always used to use it every couple of months
    54 8P2 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI BKD - Shark stage 1 - EGR delete - Dolphin Grey

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Has Anyone Tried These SD Cards
    By terrymcg in forum In-Car Entertainment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th February 2009, 08:15
  2. Has anyone tried the BP Ultimate 102?
    By b00 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21st September 2007, 20:20
  3. has anyone tried Toyo PXT1-S
    By edward_harris in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24th June 2007, 10:17
  4. Has anyone tried a shorter gear shifter?
    By nervus in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2nd June 2005, 22:06
  5. Has anyone tried an Upsolute chip?
    By nervus in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10th April 2005, 09:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO