• 1 Post By Customboy
  • 1 Post By hughjass
  • 1 Post By S3_Jacko
  • 1 Post By PaulAr
  • 1 Post By batch
  • 1 Post By PaulAr
  • 2 Post By T33_BKD
  • 1 Post By S3_Jacko

Thread: Rims.... Need opinions on these guys.....

5th Gear

Status

Rims.... Need opinions on these guys.....

Hello...

I've had my Sprint Blue S3 a wee while now and love it.. I previously had a 2.0tfsi quattro sport with updated rims and when I got my new S3 I liked the standard rims at 1st, then quickly got bored and thought that it was something that needed to be addressed... So anyway, I was having a look about and decided I wanted to go for 19's and had a look at my options, and as I found out, were very limited... I didnt want to go for cheap and nasty after markets on a S3 and also couldn't quite stretch my budget to a nice set of BBS alloys.. Having a look about I instanly fell in love with the 19" rotors that come on the RS3, but then after having a look at the price of these, it left me rather defeated... Then I came across the 19" hollow spoked rotors (which are made by BBS for Audi) and fell within my budget, although they were from an A4 Sline, I thought, why not give them a go... So anyway, after many headaches of whether or not they would fit, with e.g offset, width differences, what tyres to go for, without any rubbing under load or full lock, wheel poke and whether or not infact they were legal? I decided to invest and give them a try... I done hrs of searching and learning about offsets, to see if anyone had gave this a go before, learned a lot about it and also couldn't find anyone that had tried with these particular rims.... then thought maybe no-one has tried it for a reason...!? Despite this, still went ahead.. I thought maybe I could do something different and have the car slightly unique to what I have seen around my parts... I bought a couple of scrubbed tyres to test the tyre sizes, got some spigots as the centre bore is bigger and was good to go... I put them on the car and was unsure of the look at 1st, but the more and more I looked at them, I was starting to slightly fall for them... I'm asking for peoples opinions, before I go all out and order a new set of tyres for them as I respect all of your opinions on all things Audi to see if these rims are passable ... cheers in advance, Jacko

asn1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S3_Jacko; 4th October 2013 at 20:24.
    sliced, hughjass and T33_BKD like this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Another couple of pics

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg
    hughjass likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    looks good m8, wats dimensions of the wheels? a want wheels but there sooo expensive and going daft recently, went for the AP coilers when a get them n fit them we have a wee meet and try yer wheels on ma car :P
    S3_Jacko likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    They look good. Bit of lowering and they will suit the car better i think! Maybe even Plastidip them in black.....

Different Gear

Status
    I like them, but I don't love them. They'll maybe be a grower....?
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by turbonutz View Post
    looks good m8, wats dimensions of the wheels? a want wheels but there sooo expensive and going daft recently, went for the AP coilers when a get them n fit them we have a wee meet and try yer wheels on ma car :P
    Did you go for them then? Nice 1.... aye defo, get them together and between to heads, come up with a beltin Franken-car

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWillyStyle View Post
    They look good. Bit of lowering and they will suit the car better i think! Maybe even Plastidip them in black.....
    I was thinking that mate... with the gunmetal, you can just about get away with them at this ride height.. was looking at a set of H&R springs (25mm) though so that could be an option... Had already plasti-dipped 1 of the rims black, the rim itself looked immense, put it on the car and not so much, would suit a red or white car so much better.. but only tried the 1 right enough.. Might do the 2 and see what it looks like with the full side done, but I think to get away with that, the tyres would need to be close to touching the arches and I really dont want to take anything away from the ride comfort. I'm getting old lol

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Kent View Post
    I like them, but I don't love them. They'll maybe be a grower....?
    I was the same.... very unsure at 1st, the more and more I was looking at them though, I thought the car looked like an absolute weapon

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3_Jacko View Post
    Did you go for them then? Nice 1.... aye defo, get them together and between to heads, come up with a beltin Franken-car
    should just sell one n chip in make one abelter, i'll take thursday friday n sat u can have rest of week :P
    Pre-facelift Sprint blue Audi S3 8P with Shark Stage 3, H&R Anti roll bars, BCS Sport turboback, ITG air intake , Autotech HPFP internals, Titanium Powdercoated OEM wheels LED interior Pack LED bulbs:
    Soon to be added AP X coilovers Porsche 996 Brembo brakes with Brembo X-drilled disks (Still!!)

On hunt for engine mounts and O.Z Superturismo LMs(Maybe)

5th Gear

Status
    should just sell one n chip in make one abelter, i'll take thursday friday n sat u can have rest of week :P
    Just sell them both and get a second hand RS4... Seen 1 up Springburn Tesco this afternoon... Dont know if the owner will be too happy with the slabber-marks on the bonnet when they came out! ha

2nd Gear

Status
    aye rs4 cool beans will be beasting, that will do. but i really want a GTR nowerdays
    Pre-facelift Sprint blue Audi S3 8P with Shark Stage 3, H&R Anti roll bars, BCS Sport turboback, ITG air intake , Autotech HPFP internals, Titanium Powdercoated OEM wheels LED interior Pack LED bulbs:
    Soon to be added AP X coilovers Porsche 996 Brembo brakes with Brembo X-drilled disks (Still!!)

On hunt for engine mounts and O.Z Superturismo LMs(Maybe)

4th Gear

Status
    Nice choice I think these wheels look very smart and suits the Audi well
    S3_Jacko likes this.
    p

THE BLUE BEAST, TAKEN FROM ME, GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
    RTECH STAGE 2 REMAP NOW RUNNING 223 BHP AND 253 FTLB OF TORQUE,
    SUBARU IMPREZA WRX ESTATE SOON TO BE RUNNING 340 BHP
    ANTI LAG/LAUNCH CONTROL/MAF LESS/ LOVE IT !!

Is there somefin in my teef?

Status
    Those wheels look mint, very nice choice. A good set of wheels certainly can transfer a car. :D
    S3_Jacko likes this.

07 170 DSG

Status
    wats dimensions of the wheels?
    Did you answer this :/
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LEE69 View Post
    Did you answer this :/
    Sorry man, I know turbo, so told him in a seperate thread lol.... They are 8.5J et 43 running 225/35/r19's
    LEE69 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I love them too, I was also unsure of the fitment after seeing them on a new a4 estate locally!!

out of curiosity, are they noticeably lighter???

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit gogz s3's Instagram Channel
    Nice wheels pal, does need lowering with H&Rs, looks good on an S3.

Proof

Audi S3, Sprint Blue, Black Edition

S3 (8P)

Status
    Wheel look good.

25mm H&Rs work well, ran then on my previous Sprint 8P2 S3.
    S3_Jacko likes this.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

2nd Gear

Status
    Sorry for the hijack! Gogz, I'm just looking into lowering mine, can you PM me some feedback on the usual - ride, handling differences, whether that small drop makes much of a difference to speed bumps, steep driveways etc? Would be really appreciated!
    S3_Jacko likes this.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by batch View Post
    Sorry for the hijack! Gogz, I'm just looking into lowering mine, can you PM me some feedback on the usual - ride, handling differences, whether that small drop makes much of a difference to speed bumps, steep driveways etc? Would be really appreciated!
    Mine was fine, didn't have any extra speed bump aggravation and we have gazzilions around here.

It was firm but not crashy, body roll drastically reduced, turn in was nicer and the car generally felt like it had more attitude.

Only downside was some bounciness on some fast A roads but overall was pleased with mine.

Post fitment Geo set up is essential though. On advice I didn't bother and fried my 2 front tyres after 3K miles.

Might know some one selling a full Bilstein spring/damper set up.
    batch likes this.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Browser

Status

My Social Networking

Visit T33_BKD's Instagram Channel
    Its very different...in a good way. Doesn't look tacky, almost like an Audi factory option.
    S3_Jacko and batch like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Cheers guys, exactly the feedback I was after. Liking the picture too! Now I just have to find a picture of a black 3-dr lowered over rotors to get the perfect image of my finished baby!

5th Gear

Status
    I'm not a fan, sorry.

To me, it makes it look a bit cheap, it's very hard to get wheels right and you can't please everyone as they all have different opinions of why looks nice to them.

I even vent think my LM's make it look cheap at times, I must be hard to please

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gogz s3 View Post
    Nice wheels pal, does need lowering with H&Rs, looks good on an S3.

Proof

Yeah mate defo.. i've been having a look about for some h&r's... turbonutz pointed me in the direction of a guy selling them a bit cheaper, so might give them a bash... got a set of 18" rotors coming this week so gonna give them a bash before I make my mind up fully... your car looks good though
    gogz s3 likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by T44MTD View Post
    Its very different...in a good way. Doesn't look tacky, almost like an Audi factory option.
    Yeah mate, was looking for something different but didn't want to take too much look away from the car... most people that look at it will probably think thats the way the car comes... but its for us other folk that know our cars know that they're not...

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post
    I'm not a fan, sorry.

To me, it makes it look a bit cheap, it's very hard to get wheels right and you can't please everyone as they all have different opinions of why looks nice to them.

I even vent think my LM's make it look cheap at times, I must be hard to please
    Thats alright mate, I put the pics up to get everyones opinions and all opinions are appreciated.. Its really difficult to find a set of wheels that suit, and at 1st I never liked them either, but they are a grower when you see them in person... I haven't fully made my mind up about them either.. got a set of genuine rotors coming this week so i'm gonna try them too... was just looking for something a bit different and thought i'd give it a bash..

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by T8DPR View Post
    I love them too, I was also unsure of the fitment after seeing them on a new a4 estate locally!!

out of curiosity, are they noticeably lighter???
    Only had them on the car to test really.. not ran them in fully yet, so not had a real chance to run them in and notice a difference.. really need to get the 25mm lowering springs for them to fully suit the car lovely.. Waiting to try the 18" rotors 1st to see what 1's I like better

5th Gear

Status
    Personally I think the rotors will look nice, what size?

the thing with rotors though, ideally it needs to go lower than the h&r springs will let you to make it look properly awesome.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post
    Personally I think the rotors will look nice, what size?

the thing with rotors though, ideally it needs to go lower than the h&r springs will let you to make it look properly awesome.
    Just the standard 18" rotors... maybe them and the H&R spings will be a winner, they should be coming this week, so i'll stick them on the car next weekend and get a pic on to see... need to invest in a set of H&R's regardless though... only thing was though, I didnt really want to go down the route of lowering again.. I had lowering Eibachs on my 2.0tfsi and thought the ride was quite harsh, and quite enjoyed driving the s3 without having to worry about potholes too much..
    Last edited by S3_Jacko; 7th October 2013 at 00:12.

5th Gear

Status
    I thought the same about H&R springs on my TDi. Took them off, put ap coilovers on and it's been super awesome ever since. Consider some decent coilovers before your completely set on springs!

5th Gear

Status
    These rims are now up for sale in the classifieds if anyones interested...

Classifieds: Genuine 19" hollow spoke rotors