• 1 Post By S3Alex
  • 1 Post By PaulAr
  • 1 Post By phil76
  • 2 Post By voorhees

Thread: S3 Milltek...RUBBISH!

S3 (8P)

Status

S3 Milltek...RUBBISH!

So this is the second resonated section to fail.

Ok Milltek did replace the first one under `good will` warranty as I was not the first owner but I still had the hassle and cost of swapping it.

And now I have to do it again 6 months later.
    This time its coming off and staying off, whicch is fine as the car is going anyway.

Will probably buy a non-res section and just sell the whole system on as complete Non Res system.

Seriously, £1200 for an exhaust with this kind of quality issue is unforgivable in my eye.

To be fair the system works VERY well as far as gains are concerned but comes very dubious durability.

End of rant.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Dave-S3's Instagram Channel
    Your probably the first person ive ever known to dislike a miltek.. my mate fits them all the time, has run them on all his Audis and never had a bad word to say about them :/

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Dude you wanting a Cobra Sport exhaust as I am a dealer for them too.
    voorhees likes this.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-S3 View Post
    Your probably the first person ive ever known to dislike a miltek.. my mate fits them all the time, has run them on all his Audis and never had a bad word to say about them :/
    They are great if they dont fail.

I took the first failed box to Powerflo to see if it could be repaired. The fiitter there smiled and said "we have fixed loads of Millteks"

Do a google search on Milltek Quality issues. Its certainly not unheard of on this or other forums I have used.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Dave-S3's Instagram Channel
    Ahh fair play, i was going to get a cat back system for my S3....

Rarely neutral

Status
    I don't think this problem is unknown but not common and from my experience they do fix any problems very quickly and without quibbling.

A weld on my backbox failed after 4yrs and the box was replaced immediately.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Dude you wanting a Cobra Sport exhaust as I am a dealer for them too.
    Might have took you up on that mate but the S3 will probably be going soon so will put the OEM unit back on.
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    I don't think this problem is unknown but not common and from my experience they do fix any problems very quickly and without quibbling.

A weld on my backbox failed after 4yrs and the box was replaced immediately.
    Yeah, to be fair Alex after bit of a winge Milltek did replace the res section and they were pretty helpful but I still had the hassle and cost of removal and refit.
    Now I have to do it all again. Thats what p!sses me off. A inferior component replaced by an equally inferior component.

Good aftersales is important and comendable but I would swap that for a reliable product any day of the week.
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Yeah, to be fair Alex after bit of a winge Milltek did replace the res section and they were pretty helpful but I still had the hassle and cost of removal and refit.
    Now I have to do it all again. Thats what p!sses me off. A inferior component replaced by an equally inferior component.

Good aftersales is important and comendable but I would swap that for a reliable product any day of the week.
    I completely understand that.

It's time and inconvenience and having to arrange a time and place to fix it.

I was OK in that my car was in for one of its many holidays at AMD!

1st Gear

Status
    Afternoon Paul,

How has the centre section failed? Have you spoken to Milltek about this?

Ben @ AmD
    Last edited by ben@amdessex; 4th October 2013 at 12:45.

AmD Essex - West Thurrock, Essex 01708 861827- Open Mon-Sat. www.amdessex.com. 1000BHP 4WD Rolling Road-Workshop and Servicing- Mail Order- Chipping/Remapping from �299. Milltek- REVO - Mintex- Forge- SuperPro- KW - Weitec -Eibach- H&R- AP + more!

5th Gear

Status
    Looks like I'll need to change mine soon just to avoid any potential inconvenience:D. Mine is one of the first prototypes that looks different and has cat section bolted on to the downpipe although I have no problems with it as of yet.
    Last edited by RedDejavu; 4th October 2013 at 14:11.
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ben@amdessex View Post
    Afternoon Paul,

How has the centre section failed? Have you spoken to Milltek about this?

Ben @ AmD
    The first one failed at the weld and Milltek replaced this although a little bit reluctantly.
    Once the exhaust is off and the OEM back on then I can take a better look at it and speak to Milltek from there.

Ive had all kinds of aftermarket exhausts over the years, some of it at the cheaper end of the market, and not had this carry on.
    Even it I was keeping the car I doubt I would put it back on anyway.

As said, the aftersales have been pretty good and the product certainly works, its sounds great, not boomy and gives noticable gains but its been more hassle than its worth.

Cheers
    Paul
    RedDejavu likes this.
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDejavu View Post
    Looks like I'll need to change mine soon just to avoid any potential inconvenience:D. Mine is one of the first prototypes that looks different and has cat section bolted on to the downpipe although I have no problems with it as of yet.
    Maybe yours is one of the last welded assemblies before they went to bathroom sealant.

(Sorry, cheap shot but couldnt resist.)
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    yeah their welds are known to fail. paid it 2k€ and had to weld it few times. i wish i went for supersprint in the first place.

or the new BCS powervalve looks soo good and the valve option is great IMHO.
    davc likes this.
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    yeah their welds are known to fail. paid it 2k€ and had to weld it few times. i wish i went for supersprint in the first place.

or the new BCS powervalve looks soo good and the valve option is great IMHO.
    This is what I want to get for christmas. From what I've seen their quality is fantastic and very well made. Hope toask for a small discount or would it be too cheeky?:]
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    i was thinking of getting powervalve cat back and sticking it to the old downpipe. with remote operated valve :D
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

1st Gear

Status
    The first one failed at the weld and Milltek replaced this although a little bit reluctantly.
    Once the exhaust is off and the OEM back on then I can take a better look at it and speak to Milltek from there.

Ive had all kinds of aftermarket exhausts over the years, some of it at the cheaper end of the market, and not had this carry on.
    Even it I was keeping the car I doubt I would put it back on anyway.

As said, the aftersales have been pretty good and the product certainly works, its sounds great, not boomy and gives noticable gains but its been more hassle than its worth.

Cheers
    Paul
    Hi Paul,

It would be odd if it has failed this quickly for the same reason. It would be worth checking it is fitted/aligned correctly, if they are aren't the prop doughnut can rub through the exhaust.

We must fit/sell anything from 50-100 Milltek systems a month and over a year and half/two year period we had maybe 15/16 Milltek parts (individual parts not systems) replaced under warranty. This is a very small number compared to the amount we sell.
    Last edited by ben@amdessex; 4th October 2013 at 14:58.

AmD Essex - West Thurrock, Essex 01708 861827- Open Mon-Sat. www.amdessex.com. 1000BHP 4WD Rolling Road-Workshop and Servicing- Mail Order- Chipping/Remapping from �299. Milltek- REVO - Mintex- Forge- SuperPro- KW - Weitec -Eibach- H&R- AP + more!

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ben@amdessex View Post
    Hi Paul,

It would be odd if it has failed this quickly for the same reason. It would be worth checking it is fitted/aligned correctly, if they are aren't the prop doughnut can rub through the exhaust.

We must fit/sell anything from 50-100 Milltek systems a month and over a year and half/two year period we had maybe 15/16 Milltek parts (individual parts not systems) replaced under warranty. This is a very small number compared to the amount we sell.

No rubbing apparent, just a failed weld and the fitting looks fine, everything aligned and secure.
    I had a poke around under ramp when the last one failed although admitedly I am not an expert.

Not 100% sure this has failed in the exact same place but I can hear it. Its possible it has failed at a different joint this time but we wont know until its been up on ramps.

Can only speak from personal experience , and it hasnt been a good one. In fact its been pretty rubbish.

All I would say is buyer beware and make sure you use a good local reputable fitter, such as AMD, who will be sympathetic towards labour costs if/when you come to make a warranty claim.

IMO failures on a passive welded assemply with no moving parts should be Zero.
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

Rarely neutral

Status

All I would say is buyer beware and make sure you use a good local reputable fitter, such as AMD, who will be sympathetic towards labour costs if/when you come to make a warranty claim.

IMO failures on a passive welded assemply with no moving parts should be Zero.
    Definitely agree with your first point,but re the second,don't forget that although it's a passive welded assembly as you say,it's subject to constant heat cycling,throughout it's length,and that alone will lead to occasional failures.

The end of the exhaust will be too hot to touch after a decent run,and consider the thermal shocks on a rainy day also for instance.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Definitely agree with your first point,but re the second,don't forget that although it's a passive welded assembly as you say,it's subject to constant heat cycling,throughout it's length,and that alone will lead to occasional failures.

The end of the exhaust will be too hot to touch after a decent run,and consider the thermal shocks on a rainy day also for instance.
    Agree they do get a work out but correct material selection, ie composition and gauge, and half decent workmanship should mitigate failure in all but extreme and/or very isolated cases.

Anyhoo, its probably obvious I have a bee in my bonnet because I have the hassle of sorting this out next week, so not feeling terribly objective about it.

And for the record the next car WILL NOT be modified in any way.........
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

2nd Gear

Status
    In my experience, most of the complaints about Milltek are from badly fitted systems!

I've heard stories about ppl fitting them on their driveway on ramps and then wonder why they knock and don't line up correctly.

Never heard of a resonated box weld go? I can understand downpipes as they suffer from a lot of movement on older cars with worn engine mounts - Milltek now insist on fitting a powerflex lower engine insert now.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Agree they do get a work out but correct material selection, ie composition and gauge, and half decent workmanship should mitigate failure in all but extreme and/or very isolated cases.

Anyhoo, its probably obvious I have a bee in my bonnet because I have the hassle of sorting this out next week, so not feeling terribly objective about it.

And for the record the next car WILL NOT be modified in any way.........
    Paul,

I totally understand how you feel,but having been through a few heavily modified cars,I know that we stress components much more under those conditions,and seeing EGT's running as high as they sometimes do on a small turbo running high boost,I can also understand why welds may fail.

Good luck getting it sorted.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nluk100 View Post
    In my experience, most of the complaints about Milltek are from badly fitted systems!

I've heard stories about ppl fitting them on their driveway on ramps and then wonder why they knock and don't line up correctly.

Never heard of a resonated box weld go? I can understand downpipes as they suffer from a lot of movement on older cars with worn engine mounts - Milltek now insist on fitting a powerflex lower engine insert now.
    The system was fitted by a guy at ATSEuromaster who seemed pretty knowledgeable.

The car had 5K miles so mounts were good.

This is the crack on the last one. Its not a great picture but the fusion around that weld was pretty poor.

Lets not take this thread as some unfounded rant for the sake of it. I dont have an axe to grind. Its all based on fact and personal experience.

Last edited by PaulAr; 4th October 2013 at 16:32.
    S3Alex likes this.
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

3rd Gear

Status
    Milltek dont seem to be made as they were 6-10 years ago IMO ,the finish has gone off the steel with in a year too far to bring back to life,the bcs exhausts are totally different bits of kit and seemed to be made so much better when you compare the two for hardly no difference in price.

Shame as pointed out milltek always used to do the figures and the sound everyone wanted
    davc likes this.

Phantom Black S3,Giac stg 1,Evoms intake,Lamin-x
    (to do list,update signature pic)

Status
    I was a coded welder and surprised at the weld quality of my Miltek but as my mate said nobody is going to see the welds so as long as they are doing their job alls good,also I have not heard of many failing tbh considering they are the number one choice in exhausts so must be thousands out there.
    PaulAr and S3Alex like this.