Cheap winter wheels

Lee540

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking about picking up some cheap winter wheels to run on the Audi.

My car is a 2009 A3 2.0 TDi 170 S-line.. currently has standard 18" alloys.

Looking for a car with similar fitment wheels.. Golf GTi Mk4 alloys? I think they'll fit, they are 16" diameter.. same PCD, offset and centre bore.. will they fit over my brakes?

Thanks

Lee

If you get cheap winter wheels, please please please get decent rubber fitted to them...

It's all well and good 'saving' your nice summer wheels - but you could end up with no car if you use crappy rubber and end up stacking it...

If you get cheap winter wheels, please please please get decent rubber fitted to them...

It's all well and good 'saving' your nice summer wheels - but you could end up with no car if you use crappy rubber and end up stacking it...

He never mentioned cheap tyres though did he?

And aren't mk4 golfs 5x100? Or 5x110 for that matter, and the 8p chassis is 5x112 along with the mk5 golf?

Oh, I just used one of those online alloy wheel fitment guides and it said my PCD was 5x100?

As for tyres, getting cheap wheels which aren't 18's will make sorting tyres a little less eye watering expensive considering only really about 2 months use.

EDIT: Correct about 5x112.. I can look for Passat wheels instead then.. Passat V6 4Motion wheels are 16"

I see where you coming from, but for winter wheels to be ruined, why would one spend stupid amounts to buy good wheels

I don't think they would get ruined if cleaned regularly and protected with the right wax. It's the same as the rest of the car really - leave salt on it, and it'll corrode (just like a wheel).

these are my winter wheels, got them last year. they r from an A8 sport. straight swap but this year am gonna put winter tyres on.

Reactions: immo
I wish Id seen that pic 2 weeks ago alex! Was really debating whether to get A8s or not!

I have them as my only wheels. Love being a little different while staying OEM. Youre right though some people are just like WTF?

Unless changing them to put Winter rubber on then why change them at all?

I`ve never had wheels ruined specifically by the Winter weather. Even the infamously corrosion prone MONZA 2s. The ROTORS on my S3 BE were unphased by the Winter too, even with minor curbage.

Unless you are running un laquered polished rims or 3 piece splits etc. then a quick wash/hose down blast off periodically is more than sufficient to keep them right.
Means your car doesn't look cack for 6 months of the year too!

Spend the money getting a Winter protection detail on the whole car instead.

Paul