Sky InsuranceBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lima

Thread: Steering wheel options

Reverse Gear

Status

Thumbs up Steering wheel options

Thinking of changing the steering wheel on my '05 5dr Sportback. Looking more at ones that are a direct swap rather than needing to do a load of further mods to wiring or other steering parts. Would really like something a little chunkier to hold than my S-line perforated one with paddleshift, but not multifunction radio-control type.
    Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Welcome to the site.

Depends, did you want the MF controls aswell?

Chunkier will cost you more if you wanted an oem solution, of which wheels from ttrs, rs6, s5 etc all come into that equation, but so does the cost.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ordi View Post
    Thinking of changing the steering wheel on my '05 5dr Sportback. Looking more at ones that are a direct swap rather than needing to do a load of further mods to wiring or other steering parts. Would really like something a little chunkier to hold than my S-line perforated one with paddleshift, but not multifunction radio-control type.
    Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.
    Where are you located? I have a tt sline flat bottom wheel with radio controls that I'll be looking to swap or sell? It also has paddles,

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Welcome to the site.

Depends, did you want the MF controls aswell?

Chunkier will cost you more if you wanted an oem solution, of which wheels from ttrs, rs6, s5 etc all come into that equation, but so does the cost.
    Not really bothered about MF controls. I don't have them at the moment. I've read a few articles that say a MF wheel needs wiring and other changes too (?) which sounds like more expense and faff. Could I get away with putting a MF wheel on, but not connecting it up and making other changes?
    Ideally, I'd prefer to just unbolt the existing one, and bolt on a new (chunkier) one if it really is as easy as this. Kind of plug and play, which even a monkey like me can manage with a spanner.

5th Gear

Status
    As yours is DSG you shouldn't need to change anything if you was to get a MFSW

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ordi View Post
    Not really bothered about MF controls. I don't have them at the moment. I've read a few articles that say a MF wheel needs wiring and other changes too (?) which sounds like more expense and faff. Could I get away with putting a MF wheel on, but not connecting it up and making other changes?
    Ideally, I'd prefer to just unbolt the existing one, and bolt on a new (chunkier) one if it really is as easy as this. Kind of plug and play, which even a monkey like me can manage with a spanner.
    Your issue here is the fact you want a chunkier wheel, that in itself adds a fair expense to the overall situation, the chunkier wheels are very expensive, the standard fbmfsw's & mfsw are the same thickness.

Think which you'd prefer most, MF controls with same thickness, just thicker wheel or both.

It wouldn't be a faff, it would have a cost & we could supply/fit most, at the end of the day it all comes down to your budget.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

AUSmotive.com

Status
    My RS6 wheel was plug'n'play, but I already had the right airbag as I had a FBMFSW from factory. If you don't have a circular shaped airbag then you may need to add that to your costs as well.

It's a very good mod though, I love this wheel. It's much thicker than the standard FBMFSW, which is what I was after.

Artimus likes this.
    AUSmotive.com // AUSringers.com

AUDI: MY10 S3 (8P3) / Nav+AMI / Sunroof / Blackout Grille / RS6 FBMFSW / PSS10s / Milltek TBE / APR HPFP / APR Stage 2+ tune

Reverse Gear

Status
    That looks great, Lima. My current wheel has the shield-shape airbag, rather than a circular one. Aim is to draw up a shortlist of plug and play thicker-rim options, then try to find one.