Steering wheel options

ordi

Reaction score
Thinking of changing the steering wheel on my '05 5dr Sportback. Looking more at ones that are a direct swap rather than needing to do a load of further mods to wiring or other steering parts. Would really like something a little chunkier to hold than my S-line perforated one with paddleshift, but not multifunction radio-control type.
Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site.

Depends, did you want the MF controls aswell?

Chunkier will cost you more if you wanted an oem solution, of which wheels from ttrs, rs6, s5 etc all come into that equation, but so does the cost.

Thinking of changing the steering wheel on my '05 5dr Sportback. Looking more at ones that are a direct swap rather than needing to do a load of further mods to wiring or other steering parts. Would really like something a little chunkier to hold than my S-line perforated one with paddleshift, but not multifunction radio-control type.
Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.

Where are you located? I have a tt sline flat bottom wheel with radio controls that I'll be looking to swap or sell? It also has paddles,

Welcome to the site.

Depends, did you want the MF controls aswell?

Chunkier will cost you more if you wanted an oem solution, of which wheels from ttrs, rs6, s5 etc all come into that equation, but so does the cost.

Not really bothered about MF controls. I don't have them at the moment. I've read a few articles that say a MF wheel needs wiring and other changes too (?) which sounds like more expense and faff. Could I get away with putting a MF wheel on, but not connecting it up and making other changes?
Ideally, I'd prefer to just unbolt the existing one, and bolt on a new (chunkier) one if it really is as easy as this. Kind of plug and play, which even a monkey like me can manage with a spanner.

Not really bothered about MF controls. I don't have them at the moment. I've read a few articles that say a MF wheel needs wiring and other changes too (?) which sounds like more expense and faff. Could I get away with putting a MF wheel on, but not connecting it up and making other changes?
Ideally, I'd prefer to just unbolt the existing one, and bolt on a new (chunkier) one if it really is as easy as this. Kind of plug and play, which even a monkey like me can manage with a spanner.

Your issue here is the fact you want a chunkier wheel, that in itself adds a fair expense to the overall situation, the chunkier wheels are very expensive, the standard fbmfsw's & mfsw are the same thickness.

Think which you'd prefer most, MF controls with same thickness, just thicker wheel or both.

It wouldn't be a faff, it would have a cost & we could supply/fit most, at the end of the day it all comes down to your budget.

My RS6 wheel was plug'n'play, but I already had the right airbag as I had a FBMFSW from factory. If you don't have a circular shaped airbag then you may need to add that to your costs as well.

It's a very good mod though, I love this wheel. It's much thicker than the standard FBMFSW, which is what I was after.

IMG_9611-L.jpg

IMG_1365-L.jpg

Reactions: Artimus
That looks great, Lima. My current wheel has the shield-shape airbag, rather than a circular one. Aim is to draw up a shortlist of plug and play thicker-rim options, then try to find one.