A3 2.0 Tdi 140 BKD - vibration on idle

RyanB88

Reaction score
Evening all,

Car = 2004 A3, 2.0 Tdi 140, DSG (BKD engine) on around 91k miles

The car runs very smooth and produces good power from tickover to around 4k. The problem I have is when the engine is warm (anything above 70degrees approx) but especially when the engine has been running for a long time (20 mins plus) when the car is put into either neutral or park, there wil be a strong vibation/juddering on idle. It is so strong that even passengers have commented on it. This does not happen when the engine is cold and also stops IMMEDIATELY as soon as the car is put into Drive or Reverse. No funny noises and seems to drive fine upto speeds of well in excess of 100mph with no other issues. (I travel to Germany every few months)

Any ideas?

Engine Mount, Gearbox mount, Flywheel should all be checked

Mine was same symptoms as yours and it was the DMF in its early stages of going. Is there a noise to go with the shaking?

Yeap as above, mounts would be my 1st choice, 04 car doubt they've ever been changed.

I had this exact problem on my Audi A3 2.0tdi BKD 55plate , wobble at idle once at 90, After a few months of playing about with replacing injectors , loom , timing torsional adjustment, I finally bit the bullet and sent it to my local indy, they sorted it the same day and at a relatively minor cost from what I had spent so far ..... Lesson learnt it think I would recommend these guys if your having running issues V.A.G. Technik in Eccles Manchester.

Invoice states software adaption after checking torsion value of timing which I had already done but they needed to check it first , lad who works there said many reasons this happens but on this occasion it was that .

Or lowered as I did to myself which also helped :)

Reactions: tdi-man and SnazzyWafles
same issue with mine, need to have an inspect on the engine mount. Thanks for the advice.

lower idle will help

change all mounts as well I have donr mine and a lot better

My mechanic just eliminated limp mode stripping and cleaning turbo thoroughly, fitted some coilovers & eliminated squeaky suspension, fitted new rear brake caliper, a new turbo-back exhaust and did something to driveshaft, replacing CV joints I think.

Now new problem is similar, but when coming to a stop say for example at the traffic lights, there will be a strong vibration / juddering coming from behind the centre console in dashboard when in gear / drive / sport (DSG). Also stops IMMEDIATELY as soon as the car is put into park or neutral or with a little rev. I'm able to feel it on the brake coming to the stop and being able to make it louder / quieter using brake under a couple of mph.

Mechanic seems to think they may be some trapped air in brake caliper, or something to do with ABS.

I don't think it or feel it.. Brakes feel v.good, car runs v.good. After one day it still sometimes does it, sometimes it doesn't but seems to be even louder and happening more , and when starting the car ( it starts fine) then putting into drive I get the loud vibration / juddering. When pulling away slowly I can feel it on accelerator pedal.

Could anyone please note what sounds like the culprit, if it could be Engine Mount, Gearbox mount, or Flywheel etc so I could get it checked and fitted or is it same scenario and all three need checking?

2004 2.0 TDI BKD A3 , FLYWHEEL REPLACED AROUND 30K AGO