S3 Radiator fans

fireheed

Reaction score
Right I have a query about the radiator fans on my 2007 S3.

The smaller one on the left as you look at the engine bay spins like fury when the car is up to temp and sitting in traffic, switches off for about a minute then comes back on again for about a minute and carries on like this till you get out on the open road and you don't notice.
Also should you be able to spin the big fan on the right by hand as I can't, it doesn't budge?

Any help much appreciated folks.

Right I have a query about the radiator fans on my 2007 S3.

The smaller one on the left as you look at the engine bay spins like fury when the car is up to temp and sitting in traffic, switches off for about a minute then comes back on again for about a minute and carries on like this till you get out on the open road and you don't notice.
Also should you be able to spin the big fan on the right by hand as I can't, it doesn't budge?

Any help much appreciated folks.

Sounds like your large fan is seized it's not uncommon for rad fans to cycle to maintain the correct operating temp.

Had this one mine but the other way round. The large fan was running full tilt all the time and the little one didnt seem to come on at all. Turned out to be the brushes in the fan not making contact not sure if it will be the same for you, my mechanic removed the unit and fixed as per this guide might be woth a look...

Ignore the diesel they are the same as mine is a TFSI .....

How to replace the AC air conditioning and radiator fan mk5 VW Jetta

Hope this helps

Bump.
Anyone else shed any light on it so I've got some options to try when I get home?

They both should spin by hand, the large one is siezed if you can't turn it. If the brushes were shot they you'd still be able to turn it by hand. Time to replace.

Also, if the AC is on then they will run most of the time especially in situations as you describe.